highlight video ONLY - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 9th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: highlight video ONLY

From the bride's point of view, a short highlight is good for showing friends and family, but they want to keep the long version so they can show their future children what their great grandparents looked and sounded like, aunt Jane and uncle Tom in the audience, etc....something the short highlight doesn't have. As time goes on, every second of the people that attended will be precious, and they will care less about shallow dof shots of the dress, shoes, flowers, and cake. Highlights are eye candy and look good now, but the true flavor is in the long version.

I got this information based on recent interviews I did with wedding couples I've shot 20 years ago, who have grown children today.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #17
Regular Crew

In order to edit the highlight, I still have to watch all of the other footage that I shot, so in reality I find that it takes just as much if not more work to do just the highlight. In terms of a package, I would have to charge the bride the same amount of money, as it doesn't take me any less time to put the highlight together than it does to just edit everything as I'm going through and watching it anyways.
Chris Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Highlights are eye candy and look good now, but the true flavor is in the long version.
Well said Warren. I completely agree.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #19
Major Player

Warren, I agree with you. However, some couples can't afford the full shebang, yet want the highlight video for now. They end up (in the package I offer) getting all the speeches shot and edited nicely. my highlight videos for that package will always include the vows, and key moments of the ceremony. So they really end up with all the important parts of the day still.

However, in the long run they also have the footage from family and friends that were at the wedding which still has the same content value, just not as nice as if I were to do it, which you're saying doesnt matter as much as time goes on anyway. So as long as theres other people taking their homevideo footage then more or less the future is lookin creamy in terms of "true flavour".

The brides that book this type of package probably wouldnt be able to afford video otherwise, or would hire their aspiring family member to do it and if that family member was actually aspiring enough they'd probably show up with their camera anyway whether Im there or not.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schuurman View Post
Warren, I agree with you. However, some couples can't afford the full shebang, yet want the highlight video for now. They end up (in the package I offer) getting all the speeches shot and edited nicely. my highlight videos for that package will always include the vows, and key moments of the ceremony. So they really end up with all the important parts of the day still.

However, in the long run they also have the footage from family and friends that were at the wedding which still has the same content value, just not as nice as if I were to do it, which you're saying doesnt matter as much as time goes on anyway. So as long as theres other people taking their homevideo footage then more or less the future is lookin creamy in terms of "true flavour".

The brides that book this type of package probably wouldnt be able to afford video otherwise, or would hire their aspiring family member to do it and if that family member was actually aspiring enough they'd probably show up with their camera anyway whether Im there or not.
I rarely see friends/family videotaping during the wedding.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
I rarely see friends/family videotaping during the wedding.
I can well believe that. At two weddings I was a guest at I saw no one other guest "taping". One wedding had a videographer, the other didn't. I doubt the bridal couple from the former will be asking for my "footage" but they might end up seeing it from relatives who will.
Alen Koebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #22
Major Player

hmm thats interesting, I see people with cameras all the time. Especially at my family weddings, everyones taking footage. I guess everyone is different.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schuurman View Post
I see people with cameras all the time. Especially at my family weddings, everyones taking footage.
Your use of the word "camera" made me realize that it is possible that some guests were taking "footage" (how antiquated that sounds now!) with their still cameras, since most of those nowadays can do video (and a few do it reasonably well). However, I don't recall anyone holding their cameras up for extended periods of time. BTW, no one except the official photgraphers had SLRs and they definitely weren't taking video with them.

Speaking of still cameras, although the question is OT for this thread have any of you pros using camcorders had to switch to a still camera unexpectedly, because you've run out of memory/tape/battery or for whatever reason? At one of those weddings I mentioned my camcorder's battery finally ran out during the reception (it gets about 2.5 hours on a charge but I had been using it most of the day and did not have an opportunity to recharge it before that evening), so I had to switch to my pocket still camera. Unfortunately, mine is an older model that only does widescreen SD (848 x 480, mJPEG) so I took a big quality hit.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #24
Major Player

oh man Alan that would suck so much! That must've been awful for you (although I'd imagine the client didnt take it as hard as you did?)

I've never had that happen and hopefully will never have to rely on my iphone for footage!
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #25
Regular Crew

No client in this case since I was only a guest and I'm just an amateur videographer in any case. If I had been doing it professionally you can bet I would have brought a few extra batteries! In this case, the couple's family members who will probably see my footage will see it on DVD, so I'm hoping that the quality difference won't be quite as obvious as it would be on BD. (I still expect to see it, since downconversion from the HD camcorder is going to look better than the SD from that particular point-and-shoot camera.)
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I am sorry to revive an older post, but I have a very on-topic question:

I too am looking for a budget friendly package, and a highlight-only option seems like it might be a good fit. I enjoy doing the highlight edits, and not having to edit together a long-form DVD with full length ceremony, speeches, etc. - is indeed a time saver for me.

My wife came up with the following idea, and I was wondering if anyone has heard of such a thing?

Produce only a highlight edit as a low-budget option - but give the B&G the option to purchase a long-form edit in the future. (Maybe suggest it as a 1 year anniversary present to themselves.) This way, you can book the budget conscious client, perform the short edit, and leave the option open for a full-length edit if they decide they want to see the whole ceremony, speeches, etc., in the future.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

Angelo
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #27
Major Player

Hi angelo,

We offer a highlights only option, its priced on the assumption that we film to edit. so only film what we need for the highlights. This means less storage, less to scrub through and the obvious short edit. Its selling really well and is priced about twice as high as most other videographers full packages yet still sells like hot cakes.

We dont offer the option to upgrade as it means filming for a normal full edit. More work, more storage, more scrubbing etc. We could in theory but would have to increase its price to accommodate this so make sure you bear this in mind.

Its more of a gateway package. The price is on the web site and means people get in touch with the intention to buy that package. When they come in we show them a full feature, just so they get an idea to our style, they often come out having spoken about it and decide they now want the full film and manage their budget accordingly. Some settle on the highlights only.

The market were in we find people want the shorter edit, theyve seen the longer ones and its just not for them. Some want the really short highlights only so it fits nicely.
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #28
Inner Circle

I have a similar package on top of the full edited movie package. It'll be a 6-7 highlights video. Then a 30 minutes extended version. There will be the interview chapter and the bloopers chapter. Only 4 things. I just have to explain clearly what they are getting to maintain the expectation.
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #29
Major Player

We will be offering this package next year...just like Danny said we have to explain to clients that we will be shooting for highlights only. However we plan to provide them with a raw edit of the ceremony and the speeches during the reception.

Kren
Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:22 AM   #30
Major Player

Hey guys, so I've actually been offering the highlight with the speeches from the reception and I've sold quite a few, I had 3 this fall, and I have 4 more booked next year. Its mostly friday weddings too, which leaves my saturdays open for a full priced package.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques