just got the manfrotto 561HDV monopod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 9th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Major Player

just got the manfrotto 561HDV monopod

Pretty pumped to use it tomorrow on a wedding. I already can't believe I've gone this long without it and I haven't shot anything yet! Bummer that it doesn't have some kind of ball lock for leaving it standing for short periods. It can definitely stand upright if you leave it carefully balanced but after seeing one of the clips from a member here where it fell over doing just that well I'm not taking any chances lol. Anyways, just wanted to share my excitement on a new piece of gear that pretty much everyone else uses already :)
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: just got the manfrotto 561HDV monopod

congrats! you'll love it..especially for those long Maid of Honor toasts.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Major Player

haha, for that I'll go on the tripod.
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Congratulations David. If you intend panning on that rig, I'd get in plenty of practice, it's very easy to wander off the vertical alignment and angle the pix.

Even so before you record any pan on a monopod, do a run through to ensure you have your body, arms, legs all aligned and you don't fall over. Bad scene in public bix :) But it can be done successfully and add to the excitement in a wedding video .. have fun.

Cheers.
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Either put a lanyard on it or the camera strap on your camera and put that around your neck. My experience was when it goes down, it goes down lens first. That also will allow you to balance it and take a short break form always holding on to it.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Cool, I'm in the same exact boat. I bought the 562B on Wednesday and I'm very excited to use it. It has a nice build to it and it is very sturdy. I too have a wedding on Saturday and can't wait to test it out! Love the feet, the only thing is it seems to stick every so often making doing some leaning and panning shots more difficult to achieve. But I will work through it and I use mostly for static shots during ceremony and reception.

Enjoy and post your thoughts after your wedding and I will do the same.
Keith Betters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #7
Major Player

I also carry a small socket wrench in my bag bc the legs (not the feet) tend to get loose. You'll feel the monopod "shrink" on you. So it's good to have a socket wrench handy.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #8
Major Player

Keith I noticed the same thing tonight, it sticks. but I found that when putting extra weight on it when you want to make a move helps it.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Major Player

I had the problem with my first one where the monopod would stick when I panned. I sent it into manfrotto and they sent me a new monopod that works perfect. Maybe this is a defect of earlier models? Watch stillmotions canon caravan on how to use it.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yea, the monopod is awesome when it comes to stability. Very stable for static shots but still mobile. Howver, I'm going to have to find a solution for the popping in the fluid cartrigde at the bottom. It was noticeable for most of my shots where I would lean to far. But I will learn to work with it, and maybe oil it or see if I can loosen the cartridge.
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Betters View Post
the only thing is it seems to stick every so often making doing some leaning and panning shots more difficult to achieve.
WD40 kept in the back of your car/trunk and applied once at the beginning of each shoot fixes that. (applied on/around the ball at the bottom.
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Cool, thanks Tim. I will try that this weekend!
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bakland View Post
WD40 kept in the back of your car/trunk and applied once at the beginning of each shoot fixes that. (applied on/around the ball at the bottom.
i have the same problem. i plan to put one, but if you put wd40, it will be smooth.
now, the problem is when you want it to almost stand by itself, would it still be able to ?(or not anymore.?

thanks,
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Major Player

That's a good question. I'm not usually in that position (I'm usually on the move often enough not to "balance" it on its own). For me, its smoothness of movement is more important and the WD40 does that.

One more thing I love about this monopod: it can act *somewhat* as a glidecam at times. That is, if you need to walk around a bit with it as you film, you can do it in such as way as to create a very smooth shot (no, not the quality of a well-balanced glidecam rig, but still quite good under many circumstances).
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I had heard about WD-40 but was kind of sorry I sprayed mine. It was much more difficult to lock it in the middle.

It's a trade off. I suspect it will tighten back up a bit as I continue to use it and will eventually hit the sweet spot of being just right.
Mark Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques