Which Logo Do You Like? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #1
New Boot

Which Logo Do You Like?

I'm having a hard time choosing a logo. These are two of the four designs. The other two were really really bad! I have an option of requesting a redesign on all four...

What does everyone think?

http://homepage.mac.com/purpletenspe...toAlbum37.html

Thanks,
James
James Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

bride & groom
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I like bride & groom logo.
Danny Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #4

Bride & Groom Logo

For these reasons:

Warmer
Softer
More Emotional
Lighter
Delicate

This logo would look good on any sort of advertising materials all the way from the web site to a magazine ad.

You may want to request a gray scale version, so you can see what it will look like when you want to print it without color (to save money in certain cases).

You may also want to ask if it was done with vector or bitmap artwork. The preference would be vector, so you could easily scale it without loosing resolution. Programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia Freehand and Flash work with vector graphics.

If it was done in bitmap, be sure to request several different sizes ranging from very small (for something like business cards or return addresses on envelopes) to something very large (for something like placing it over the lower right portion of your wedding videos...or one day billboards!).

Best of luck.
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #5
Wrangler

It's probably just me, but "Gotham" conjures up images of the dark and sinister location of the Batman movies instead of warm, soft, emotional, light or delicate.... :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #6

I thought the same about the word "Gotham," but not the logo design.

Then I also thought that James may have had some sort of reason for choosing that name. (old family name, girlfriend liked it, etc.)
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #7
New Boot

Goot Advice!

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your input. I will be sure to ask the vendor what format the images are in before delivery.

Thanks,
James
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #8
New Boot

Maybe the name stinks #@!%

You guys are probably right...maybe the name stinks...i just thought it would be easy to brand and catchy! I lived in Manhattan when i choose the name so i tried to come up with something that sounded "city like"

Maybe i should try and come up with a new name.

Thanks,
Jame
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #9

James,

You are welcome.

I agree 100% with Boyd on the name. If you have no specific ties to it, I would try to think of something a little more...well, un-dark.

I grew up with all sorts of versions of Batman, so I may be a little biased here. From the late 70's early 80's cartoons to the more recent ones and a dark city instantly comes to mind when I hear Gotham. It's not so much that the name stinks. Actually, it's a very strong and commanding word, maybe just not for weddings.

One advantage it does have (that you pointed out), it's very original and would stand out and be easily remembered by girls going through a list of wedding videographer names. And it's always good to be catchy and different.

So don't ditch it, especially based on a couple of opinions here. Go with what you like. It's your company! - a great benefit of owning your own business.
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #10
Air China Pilot

Bride and Groom.

The other reason the Gotham logo isn't as good is because it will only work if justified to the bottom.
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #11
Echoes from the Backyard

Depends...

If all you ever want to do is weddings, the Bride and Groom.

If you want to offer more than just wedding video services then definitely the skyline. Or a compromise. The skyline for your general (umbrella) marketing image and the B&G for your wedding category of services.
Old August 27th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #12
Major Player

I am with David. Logo depends on how narrow you want to box yourself in. If you want to do anything besides weddings, the b&g logo will work against you. I don't think Gotham is all that bad a name, just be aware of the "dark side" and don't go there by accident.
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #13
New Boot

I just want to thank everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice on this subject. If you haven't already noticed, i posted the same exact post on Video University at about the same time.

It has been an interesting experiment to see the types of comments that I have received from VU and compare them with the comments from DV Info.

To say the least...you guys have been so much more helpfull and sincere!

Thanks for your help!
James
Old August 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Dunleavy
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice on this subject. If you haven't already noticed, i posted the same exact post on Video University at about the same time.

It has been an interesting experiment to see the types of comments that I have received from VU and compare them with the comments from DV Info.

To say the least...you guys have been so much more helpfull and sincere!

Thanks for your help!
James
James,
Choosing a name for a business is one of the hardest things to do. I think even harder than a name for a child. I don't mind the name Gotham, as long as you have a simple and elegant font/brand to go along with the name. The biggest thing is the Brand. I probably would not settle for either logo. I think the skyline is a bit heavy handed. Brides are looking for something fresh and new. I realize you probably have been working with this designer for some time now, but I would think about going somewhere else.

I was unsuccessful in making a bridal and commercial name so I just made two companies. Being in NY you have a pretty good base to draw from. I would walk around to the high-end dress shops and take some notes. Clean and simple will always win vs. complicated and "clever". You are at an exciting stage that is very difficult. We re-branded 6 months ago, we went from an easy name to remeber Jon Alden productions to a much more difficult name Lumiere Bridal. Our designer was great to work with and had some really fresh and clean ideas. Now we are booking twice as fast as before. Same work, new look. Take the time now and put some money into a good logo. It's miserable having to re-brand after 2 years. Good luck!

Jonathan
www.lumierebridal.com
Jonathan Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #15
Trustee

Batman? I thought it was a play on the phrase "Got Milk?"

"Got Ham?"

Yeah, I like the bride and groom one better.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques