jvc hm100 with a canon 7D? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: jvc hm100 with a canon 7D?

Yes, I thought the major differences, at least for my purposes, was price. The extra features are nice, but $1K for me is better spent elsewhere.
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #17
Major Player

how much are these cameras going for?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #18
Inner Circle

@Andrew,
This is off topic at this point. There may be better threads on the Panny cameras.

But for now, B&H Photo Video and Adorama sponsor DVinfo. Each of them have websites that let you list cameras, filter them and sort them by price. Here's a link to one for ENG cameras by price at B&H. You can see all the various cameras and relative prices then drill into each for information. Both the 130 and 160 show they haven't yet shipped.

Camcorders (ENG)

As you can see, there are a number of 3-chip 1/3" sensor cameras like the 130/160 that record in the 24MBS AVCHD format for you to choose from. Only you can decide what's important to you and I highly recommend finding people with hands on experience and not decide strictly on specs.

Based on my own experience however, I will warn you that once you have a camera with 3 lens rings, you probably won't want to ever go back to one with less than that, at least for your main camera. YMMV.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #19
Major Player

les, 3 rings sound great! the new panasonics look very interesting. to be honest, i believe the latest cameras like the canon xf100, sony nx70 and new panasonics are likely to produce better quality images than the jvc hm100, as well as offering other plusses. the reason i'm interested in the hm 100 is that it's now at a reasonable price second hand. money is tight and clients are unwilling to pay even reasonable fees for work. i see the hm100 as being a possible stop gap with reasonable earning potential. investing in equipment at the moment has to be well thought out and justified by it's potential to earn.
my fear is that it can't handle lowish light (i'll be using a LED generally) and that it's fiddly to handle and focus. anyway, i use a 7D and you can't get more fiddly than that!
Old September 28th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Andrew, I don't know if this is a contender for you or not, don't know if you could use a US version of the camera, but this is a good deal and would be a good fit for you:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...available.html
Old September 29th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #21
Major Player

hi jeff, i should consider that camera too i suppose. i would need a european version though. i haven't seen too many second hand yet. i guess i'm deciding between buying a camera secondhand as a stop gap or investing in a new one. heart says a new camera. head says secondhand to ride out the storm.
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Hey Andrew, new is nice. Used shoots as well as new. Like you probably have, I have bought new and used, and buying new has a slightly different feeling, but I also find a used piece of gear can be pretty exciting to receive. I started my business with three used cameras, two PD150s and a VX2100. I still miss those camera, they were the best cameras I've ever owned, they were so good in low light.

The situation you are in is frustrating. I've been in your position many times, trying to decide what is best, what I can afford, and the future effects of my purchase.

I recently selected the XF100 because it seemed best, but something kept nagging me about the purchase, and I found out about the "weird" format of the files. The clips are huge, and are about 5 minutes each, and there is no software to stitch them together, so I changed my mind. I'm SO glad I did.

I like the camera I bought OK, just small. If I had it to do again, I would probably have gotten the NX5. I wrote if off after reading a couple of bad reviews, and sorry I did, it may be the best camera at it's price point that is currently available. But best is always changing, isn't it?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques