Yesterday's SDE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 28th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Yesterday's SDE

Hi all.

I'd like to share the Onsite MTV we did for yesterday's wedding.

http://pinoyvideomaker.com/XTIAN_MARC_WMV.wmv

Shot with an FX1 (dv mode) and GL2
Edited with Premiere Pro on a laptop.
Song by Jenny Bruce - "Home"
Wedding at 3p
Video shown at 7:45p
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jason,

Great job! I know how challenging WDE's can be and you did a wonderful job. Nice shots all the way through and I especially liked your use of cutaways during the ceremony.

The shot around 14-18 seconds really seemed out of context with the rest of the video. Faster paced pull backs like that are something I usually expect with faster paced music, but not a ballad. That was the only shot that really didn't work. The rest of the video was great.
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Jason, Great job! I am trying to make my highlights something more than just video to music and I think you did an awesom job. I also use ppro1.5. I am wondering if you shot just for the mtv or if you shot from beginning to end and in the few hours you had you captured all the footage and were able to weed through and put together a sequence. I as well am wanting to offer a video at the reception but the time it takes me to capture and edit, along with shooting I am wondering just how to acomplish that. Your lighting and composition were awesom as well. Bravo! By the way is the FX1 light years ahead of the GL-2 when put on DVD? Your footage had so much richness. Was that just slo-mo or any effects? Thanks for sharing. TAG
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Great video....especially if you take into account the time it took to edit and deliver the product.
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Mark, Joven. Thanks for watching.

Terry.
Wes shot the wedding in its entirety. The SDE is an add-on.So we basically captured everything that we had for the preparation, chose the shots we wanted in the ceremony, and further selected shots which would work for the MTV.

You should try it sometime. It's very fulfilling.

I wouldn't say light years. Actually, I can't say at all. I've been using DV mode for the most part. I can't use HDV mode for SDES as this would require a separate deck for capture. BUt placed side by side with FX footage, the GLs quality is lesser only because it's in its faux 16:9 setting.

Cheers.
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Sorry if everyone already knows this except me -ha

I know what a "SDE" and the "WDE" are but i am not quite sure about the reference to the "MTV" but I would assume it is something along the same lines. Somebody throw me a bone here....

Great job on the video!
Old August 30th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Dan,

That's what we call that product over here in Manila.

SDE=WDE=Onsite MTV

Cheers.
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Guys, this is my idol here in Manila...the legendary Jason, i got the inspiration from this guy. his works are very nice, still wondering how to do an MTV/SDE/WDE which will be shown after a few hours. I tried doing an mtv but it took me hours to complete a 3+ minute clip, including capturing the tapes. Have tried weddings but got difficulties with the composition of shots.

Jason can you share a little itsy bitsy overview of how you achieve those wonderful shots?

BTW great video, as always. how do you soften/diffuse the video? AE? did you use glow and what settings...many questions but then, many may learn from you and look on you. thank you in advance.
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:35 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I will be in Manila

Hi Jason and Leonard,
I will be leaving San Francisco on October 28 for Manila and will be staying in Makati and Cavite area. With me, I will have video tapes of 2 weddings I will do in Otober 8th & 22nd. I can also just make avi files and burn it to a DVD disc to protect the original tapes. I planned to do the editing while enroute to Manila or anytime in between my stay out there. However, I was thinking why not use available resources out there to do the editing for me. Are there such places I can contact and are the prices reasonable?

You guys can email me or response via this forum.

Thank you and salamat po!

Danny
Danny Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 02:14 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Santos
With me, I will have video tapes of 2 weddings
What's a video tape?
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 05:04 PM   #11
Major Player

Leonardo.

Thanks for your kind words.

The video was diffused using genarts sapphire. Then the contrast was increasd a bit.

Hope to see you around.

Cheers.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 05:06 PM   #12
Major Player

Danny. You're bringing work on a vacation?

But if you must, I'll ask around if there are facilities for hire in the area you're staying in.

Have a safe fllight.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:22 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua
Leonardo.

Thanks for your kind words.

The video was diffused using genarts sapphire. Then the contrast was increasd a bit.

Hope to see you around.

Cheers.
Thanks Jason, Genarts sapphire is an AE or PP plugin?

Was actually planning to meet you at Mega trade hall at Kasalan 2005 but didn't have the chance to go there, maybe next time, it will be my pleasure to meet you sometime and talk to you. see you around.

Danny, you will be in manila? why bring your works? have a good time here, and enjoy your vacation. I think you'll find freelance editors in Manila. That's what I do when i don't have my camera yet.
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Video tapes? Yes, I am a novice and it really shows. I must be using the wrong terminology here. I am using a Canon GL2 and whatever you call that mini DV tape inside to take video is what I meant by video tapes. Sorry.

Videography is not really work for me. I enjoy doing it and I do it mostly for friends and families. It's one of those expensive hobby. Most of the time, I don't get paid. They just take me out to dinner or even take me out golfing. I am not your "professional" videographer for hire and I wish I can say that. I am not good enough. But I love doing it. There's a lot for me to learn yet.

Jason & Leonard, I am going to Manila to meet with Ayala architect to start building a home in Laguna. Yes, it's somewhat a vacation. Maybe you can email me some hot spots in Manila. There's a saying among the Pinoys here in California. Go to places where it makes you feel young again. I think you guys know what I mean :-) heh heh heh

Let me know what you guys find out regarding video editing and maybe we can get together when I get there. I'll buy the drinks :-)

Salamat!

Danny
Danny Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Santos
Video tapes? Yes, I am a novice and it really shows. I must be using the wrong terminology here. I am using a Canon GL2 and whatever you call that mini DV tape inside to take video is what I meant by video tapes. Sorry.

Videography is not really work for me. I enjoy doing it and I do it mostly for friends and families. It's one of those expensive hobby. Most of the time, I don't get paid. They just take me out to dinner or even take me out golfing. I am not your "professional" videographer for hire and I wish I can say that. I am not good enough. But I love doing it. There's a lot for me to learn yet.

Jason & Leonard, I am going to Manila to meet with Ayala architect to start building a home in Laguna. Yes, it's somewhat a vacation. Maybe you can email me some hot spots in Manila. There's a saying among the Pinoys here in California. Go to places where it makes you feel young again. I think you guys know what I mean :-) heh heh heh

Let me know what you guys find out regarding video editing and maybe we can get together when I get there. I'll buy the drinks :-)

Salamat!

Danny
Hello Danny, I think that's a good idea, ring me when you got here, here's my mobile phone 09178014960

Jason, are you on to this? like to come with Danny? I was just thinking if I can come with you during your shoot even as a volunteer assistant for me will do..for free ofcourse, wanting to expose myself how to compose the wonderful shots you've made. Really new to this and very enthusiastic in doing so... :) can I...Can I...Pleeease?
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques