type of bags you use for DSLR equipment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 31st, 2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

type of bags you use for DSLR equipment

Hello all,
I am currently looking for a new bag which i can use to carry around my gear whilst I shoot weddings.
I have been swaying up the possibility of another rucksac or the other option would be to get a bag which you would carry on the shoulder and be able to get quick access to change lenses etc. Or even one of those hybrid ones. The rucksac i like because it's easy to carry, however i think that maybe the off the shoulder number would be pain and i would end up leaving it around and going back to collect it.

I was wondering what types of bags other people use to store and carry around their lenses camera etc whilst shooting. Not including any lighting etc.

I have a 5dii, about 4 lenses, one being the 24-70 L and another the 70-200mm 2.8 IS L, the other are fairly small. It would also be great if the bag could fit my Merlin stedicam once collapsed. And of coarse an extra body which is the back up. Batteries, cards etc the normal stuff

any suggestions?
Cheers
Dave
David Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: type of bags you use for DSLR equipment

I use this bag:

I removed one of the lens compartments, so I carry around one lens and have one attached to my body. The main compartment is designed to hold a camera with a lens attached but I use it to hold spare batteries, headphones, a cleaning cloth and the wireless lavaliers for the ceremony. Works great!
Chris Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Think Tank Airport Security works a treat for me.
2 bodies, 6 lenses (inc. 70-200), 3 audio recorders, Steadicam Merlin, selection of Gorilla pods, lav mic, 2 on camera mics, LCDVF, 8 batteries and a charger and quite a few other bits and pieces.... and it's on wheels.

Basically everything I need for a shoot in one bag.

Did I mention that it's got wheels.
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

@ Andrew, just had a look at the think tank, is that specifically a camera bag? Wheels make sense!!

Have you had to put in your own dividers etc.

Cheers
Dave
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I use a Tenba bag. Very high quality. Has lots of features.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/552236-REG/Tenba_632_323_Shootout_Backpack_Large_Black.html
They come with wheels or not wheels. You can laugh at the rain with these bags. They are not waterproof, but they are the closest thing to it. Padding is second to none. Lowepro make nice bags, of course, but I strongly prefer Tenba.

Wheeled version here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/441430-REG/Tenba_632_331_Shootout_Rolling_Backpack_Large.html
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just had a look at that, and it's really nice. Just what I am looking for. Not too sure weather to entertain getting the medium or go for the large. I would imagine that currently a medium would suffice but I'm sure in a years or so time I'll kick myself for getting the medium as my kit expands.

Expensive for the large though!
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

David.
The Think Tank is a camera specific bag and I think that all the dividers did come with it although I may have used a couple of smaller dividers from another bag to make some really small sections.

This bag is by far the best kit investment I made this year.

Did I mention the wheels?
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:41 AM   #8
New Boot

As an operational storage chest a Pelican 1560 w/ Dividers and Lid Organizer. It has tons of room and carries all of our sensitive gear (cameras, lenses, audio gear, steadicam, lights, etc). The ability to take a shotgun blast is a plus too.
We use a Victorinox - CH-97 Explorer 36" Wheeled Duffel for tripods/monopods/sliders/anything else tough but bulky.

These two act as a base of operations that we work from. If we can't keep our eyes on them we use some heavy duty bicycle chains and luggage locks to secure them. This may seem like paranoia but just last month we were at a wedding where one of the other vendors (a wedding planner) had her wallet stolen from her purse in the vendor room.

To lighten the load my wife and I each have our own on person bags to keep a couple of lenses with us without having to keep going back to he large bags. I use a Tamrac belt system and my wife uses a Shootsac. Both of these solutions let you stay mobile and shooting without having to put anything down to do a lens swap.
Stephen Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:15 AM   #9
Regular Crew

David
It all squeezes in a bit like this -
Attached Thumbnails
type of bags you use for DSLR equipment-bag.jpg  
Old November 1st, 2011, 06:43 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Andrew, what does camera specific bag mean, made for a specific camera?
Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:28 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Jeff, no he just means that its specific for carrying camera equipment.
I wasn't sure at first as when i looked online I could only find a link which had a picture of the outside which just looked like a flight wheelie bag.
I've actually had a look on their website and they do a range of camera bags...pretty good. !

Thanks
dave
Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:00 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I see. Not sure anyone would want anything but a pro bag, for sure, unless for hobby.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; November 2nd, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:03 AM   #13
Trustee

I like this backpack very much, although I only have the 502 predecessor backpack and use it for my XF-300. I don't have a DSLR because it is just too expensive. Kata is very good in quality and protection of your precious equipment, sturdy and easy to customize to your needs. But do add the insert trolley to this backpack. It makes moving from place to place a lot easier.

See http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/819974-REG/Kata_KT_PL_PV_610_Pro_V_610_PL_Backpack.html
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:12 AM   #14
Major Player

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/592386-REG/Domke_700_02A_F_2_Ruggedwear_Shooters_Bag.html
I've read that hockey bags are good to drag all your gear around, tripods, lights, etc., inexpensively.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:28 AM   #15
Inner Circle

That is a nice bag, Harm. It not shaped for DSLR, but I suppose not a big deal. In my Tenba I can fit four GH2s, but with a couple of lenses it is a very tight fit. I always use two or three bags, unfortunately, as all of my gear, 3-4 GH2 plus a XA10 and microphones and lights is too much for one bag, or even the largest bag I can find. Pelican cases are too cumbersome for me, at least one that will hold everything.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques