DSLR for Weddings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 6th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: DSLR for Weddings

Yes, there is an audio input, and it has manual control, unlike most DSLRs, though it is via the menu. I keep the audio on 2 and then use the gain control on the mic to suit the environment.

You can use anything you want for audio, you just need a mini to mini-mini adapter, available at radio shack for $3.99, or something like that. You can buy angled ones somewhere, forget where I got mine.

For a shotgun, Sennhieser makes a tiny mic, and the Rode Videomic Pro is also well suited for the camera.
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #17
Inner Circle

If you're happy with the ergonomics of the FX7 then the natural upgrade would be to the NX5 - bigger chips, same 20x zoom, better sensitivity and most of all handling that you'd be familiar with.

Of course if you want to go the DSLR (or GH2) route, you've really got to think about an audio box that will allow you two separate audio channels for radio and shotgun. This will be just the start of the long road to adapt what's essentially a still camera into a movie camera.

As others have said here, the results can indeed be rewarding, but shooting real-time events with such cameras is more 'dangerous'. You've got to be able to balance the danger against the visual look of the finished product.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #18
Inner Circle

As Tom notes, XLRs are nice, but before I had dual inputs on my new videocamera, I simply dedicated a cam for the wireless, and ran shotguns on the other three. XLRs are nice, not necessary.
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Just for the record apparently the T3i does not share the T2i's heating problem. It has been reported by many users that is doesn't overheat under normal conditions (e.g., http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...questions.html). It didn't overheat for me when I used it to shoot a sweet-16 birthday party (a big event in a hall). But it did "shut down" (stop recording) a couple of times. This was not heat related because I was able to start recording again immediately and continue shooting many more minutes with it. As explained by Nigel below, this was most likely because I hit the file size limit of 4GB, which is after about 12 minutes of recording time in HD (the manual actually says 11 min).

Last edited by Alen Koebel; November 7th, 2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Changed "12-minute limit" to "heating problem". User misunderstanding.:)
Alen Koebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Alan, is there input level control on the t3i, or is it auto gain?
Old November 7th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #21
Major Player

Tyson, I think there are a couple of questions you need to answer to pick the right camera. I think there are two styles of deliverables for wedding work. One is the traditional long form edit with video cameras. The other is a short form edit. I would either go on vimeo and do a search (and subscribe to the wedding group) for gh2 or canon wedding videos. Or look at the people that post on this forum and see which style matches your taste.

In our area, we are competing with the established long form videographers, so to be competitive, we differentiate ourselves by offering a short form film product. We also have a gh1 for a long form edit, which is usually what the brides parents are looking for. The t3i is designed to mimic a film camera. The image is soft compared to the gh1/2 and its easier to get a wide angle shallow DOF on a full frame sensor. In contrast the gh2 is sharp (think nfl coverage, not Hollywood film), but you can make it look filmic in post.

If you go with the short form edit style, 12 minutes is more than you need when shooting. The moire issues on 11 weddings have only been an issue twice, but I live on the west coast, so not a lot of bricks. The lcd on the t3i is off the camera, so it overheats less, but its standard practice to leave our cameras inside the cabin of our cars (air conditioned) not in the trunk. And out of sunlight when at the event. The weather is good out here, and it has never been an issue for us.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #22
Inner Circle

For the record the T3i/600D does have a 12 minute limit. The limit is actually 4GB file size which is typically around 12 minutes video give or take. That will be why your camera shut down unexpectedly a couple of times.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Alan, is there input level control on the t3i, or is it auto gain?
I'm not the best person to answer this. Although I've used the T3i, I don't own one. IIRC the manual said you could adjust audio level.

Last edited by Alen Koebel; November 7th, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
For the record the T3i/600D does have a 12 minute limit. The limit is actually 4GB file size which is typically around 12 minutes video give or take. That will be why your camera shut down unexpectedly a couple of times.
The camera stops recording (which is what I meant by "shut down") when it hits the 4GB limit? That's really unfriendly behaviour. I would have expected it to simply start another file, as every HD camcorder I know of does. In any case, I've amended my post. I had almost always seen the 12 minute limit mentioned in association with the temperature problem, so I linked the two. Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding.

PS. Too bad you can't select a "quality" level (Mbps) for video on the Canon cameras like you can with most camcorders. 44Mbps is overkill for a lot of situations and I would happily trade less Mbps for more recording time. Something closer to 24Mbps would be fine for 1080p24/25/30 or 720p50/60.

Last edited by Alen Koebel; November 7th, 2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added ps
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #25
Inner Circle

I switched from T2i and T3i. For T2i in any hot summer day, overheat occurs regularly. For my T3i, I only experienced once.

T3i has manual audio control. You can set auto gain, or disabled it to adjust the input level.

I believe GH2 uses the 2.5mm audio input jack, not the standard 3.5mm headphone jack. But there're cheap converter for that. Also GH2 uses Micro Four Thirds line of lens. There isn't a wide range of lens selection than Canon EF lens.

Magic Lantern has a feature to continue recording at the 4GB/12min break. It will lost a second or so during the gap.

I always shoot with 2 cameras. So I can take turn to stop and start recording on both cameras. I was worrying so much about the 12 minute issue. But then, once I start using it, it isn't much of a problem. In fact, I don't see that's a problem at all too (especially with magic lantern).

If you are interested in getting any RODE microphone, we are RODE authorized dealer. I can always offer some discount to DVinfo members.
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen Koebel View Post
The camera stops recording (which is what I meant by "shut down") when it hits the 4GB limit? That's really unfriendly behaviour. I would have expected it to simply start another file, as every HD camcorder I know of does. In any case, I've amended my post. I had almost always seen the 12 minute limit mentioned in association with the temperature problem, so I linked the two. Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding.

PS. Too bad you can't select a "quality" level (Mbps) for video on the Canon cameras like you can with most camcorders. 44Mbps is overkill for a lot of situations and I would happily trade less Mbps for more recording time. Something closer to 24Mbps would be fine for 1080p24/25/30 or 720p50/60.
Alen one important thing to remember, is that the Canon DSLRs are NOT video cameras.
Yes, you can shoot video with them, but they ares still photo cameras, and as such do have some short comings.

With that said, we use DSLRs like video cameras because they can produce fabulous imagery.
Old November 7th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Taky, thanks for addressing my audio question, I've been incorrectly saying the GH2 is the only DSLR form factor cam with adjustable audio, I was wrong. Maybe it doesn't have an audio jack? There was some aspect of the audio I thought that people criticized about the Canon's audio, maybe I'm mis-remembering again.
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #28
Regular Crew

To answer a few of you guys questions. I would be using it mainly for my Wedding Trailers. I would also use the camera to take a few pics for the DVD Labels and DVD Cases.

As far as Audio, I have a Wireless Setup that I would plug into on of my other cameras during the Ceremony. So I would probably go with the Rode.

Am I nuts for wanting to switch? Im young and love any kind of electronic gadget! I have been running Video cameras for the last 5-8 years.
Tyson Yoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #29
Major Player

Thank you for the information in this thread. After reading this, I have decided to not order the Panasonic GH3 with the default 12-35mm lens which is quite costly, and instead get the ones you recommended on the first page:

Tokina 11-16 2.8
Sigma 30mm 1.4
Samyang 85mm 1.4

I need all the light I can get for those receptions (churches are not well lit here either), and so I thought the Sigma 30mm would do a better job there than the Pana lens.

I noticed the Samyang only has manual focus, do you think that will represent a problem? I heard the GH3 has quite decent AF capabilities, but perhaps you are better off setting it manually when using the 85mm? I really have no clue here, that's why I ask before placing a substantial order. Thank you!
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #30
Inner Circle

I have a tokina 11-16mm f2.8 for sale. Email me at takybb@gmail.com if interested.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques