Best stablizing software for Mac? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best stablizing software for Mac?

I had to shoot the vows portion of a ceremony hand-held after the inept officiant forgot to ask the bride and groom to face each other, so their backs are to the audience the entire time! I had to dismount camera from tripod and run up behind the line of tall groomsmen to get their faces during the vows. The result is some pretty awful shaky footage.

I've tried SmoothCam within Final Cut and C2 Lock&Load. Both make the footage look like jello.

Has anyone had success with other programs? I've head Mercali is pretty good, but I don't want to spend the money if the result is going to be the same.

I have to say, this is the first totally f***ed up ceremony I've shot in over 10 years so I'm pretty upset about it.
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Best stablizing software for Mac?

Motion does a pretty good job, but the fact is that shooting with CMOS sensors will give you jello video.

Smoothcam and Motion's Stabilize both work much better when you use the ProRes 422 codec too.
Tim Gilbertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

We have found Mercalli to be the best of all but Lock & Load is very good too. If L&L hasn't fixed the footage enough for it to be anywhere near useable then I doubt that Mercalli will be a whole lot better. You will probably have to get creative & try some other way of rescuing the situation. Perhaps a combination of still frames & video or slow motion or use a cutaway to the congregation when the shaking is particularly bad. As long as you have good audio there is plenty that you can do.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Major Player

I don't have any input on stabilizers, but like Nigel said...There's plenty you can do, just don't beat yourself up about it. Use cutaways, even from different parts of the ceremony, or anything you can. The bride and groom will never notice!
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for the input. I didn't realize Motion had a stabilizer, so I will give that a shot before considering Mercali. The footage was shot on an Ex1 and transcoded to ProRes 422LT.

I normally wouldn't be too concerned, but this bride happens to be a super picky bridezilla type so if anyone would notice, she would! :p
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques