Preceremony highlight clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 31st, 2005, 05:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Preceremony highlight clip

This is a "rough cut" from our second wedding. File is kinda big so be patient. Critique welcomed.

http://www.landmarkmediaproductions....debanderic.mov
Brian Bechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:52 PM   #2
Major Player

I'd like to jump in and offer my opinion, even though I'm relatively new to weddings myself. I thought it was very nice, and I enjoyed watching it! You had a beautiful location to shoot in, and a nice looking wedding party. You know, the shots that stood out the most for me were the two kids (great shots!) and your closeups, like the groom, the flowers, etc. I love closeups! I thought the song was a great choice as well. You captured some really nice moments! I also liked the stairway shot empty, then fading in the party (even though the alignment was slightly off, it looked cool).

There are only three critiques I have to offer, and please take these with a grain of salt, as they are only my personal opinion. First would be the outdoor sign shot (0:07-0:16) was too long. Also, the shot of the bride with 3 other bridesmaids (3:12-3:22) seemed too long as well. While great shots I thought, they just seemed to hang for too long. Secondly, the shot of the cameras on the table (3:22-3:26) seemed out of place. Thirdly, maybe some pans and reveals during the photo shoot would have made them a bit more interesting. Maybe try some rack focus with some foreground element, or a reveal from behind the photographer or even even behind the subjects revealing the photographer himself, or even a slow pan looking through the stair rails.

Please remember that these are only my opinions and that everyone has a different style. I received some of the very same critiques myself when I posted demos, and they helped me with my pacing and storytelling.

Thanks for sharing!

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 10:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Dan. I find myself concentrating so much on capturing the moments, that sometimes I forget to inject some style into my shooting. In my bridal prep clip I have some more creative shooting as it was a much more relaxed atmosphere. Thanks for taking time to look at the clip. Your feedback was very helpful.

Brian Bechard
Landmark Productions
Brian Bechard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques