Anyone planning to buy the C300? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 7th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Anyone planning to buy the C300?

Gotta disagree with you there Glen. If I was doing a feature, I would probably be looking at Epic or Alexa. I understand the C300 may not be right for you, but I can tell you it is right for a lot of smaller guys making a living with their camera, including myself. The EF mount makes it a clear winner (for me) over the F3. Canon knows exactly what they're doing.
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Absolutely! On board codec is far enough for most people! Also many people want to use their existing ef lenses, as myself...add these features to FS100 for example..You need couple of grands more..and the price is getting more acceptable !
R
Raul Rooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham King View Post
Right. So I'm hoping there is some way to mount the monitor and XLRs off camera. If it could be mounted on rails to the left of the camera then it could work well. But it looks like the monitor communicates with the camera through the shoe so I'm guessing this isn't going to work. And even if it did, we'd need Canon to sell longer audio cables (those proprietary ones).
WHOA check out this video at 1:56!!!

They mounted the LCD off camera! It must communicate through the audio interface! Wow I just got way more excited! Mine should be shipping Monday or Tuesday.

Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM   #19
Trustee

Hi Graham, I was at that event too. Yes the LCD module has some cables that are connected to the body. The thing is the XLR ports are on that unit. Without that LCD module the body is mute! The comforting thing is the handle can be removed with the LCD module mounted directly above the cam. Makes the profile lower. I gotta say i really dig this camera. There are some weird placements but it is much better than FS100 (with the price difference it has to be!)

I tried to simulate doing a low dolly shot and it worked well, very balanced with the handle. The built in ND filter is awesome, and the aperature is very easy to change for canon lens. It will work very well for weddings. YEs it is heavier than a 5D2 with the same lens but with that proper audio n useable codec i do not mind. Would love to own one now but the price is really out of reach currently. I'm planning to wait till NAB (I have news that something sexy is on the way) to see how it pans out. Hopefully Canon would react with a price shift by then (like the XF300 series).

3 mths to go!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:51 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Yea, it's going to be a little funny with the XRLs coming into the LCD unit. But it'll just require some rig experimentation. I wish they would have included a cheap little internal mic for reference sound when you don't have another source. But no big deal, just means I'll always carry a shotgun with the camera.
Graham King is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques