Run over by a bus ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 13th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Run over by a bus ...

Thought that title might grab your attention...

This is a rather depressing subject, and Is very much common sense & organisation I know. In fact, for all those forum readers, who are a family run operation, or a team of two or more, then please don't bother waste your time reading further.
----------------------------------------

In my day drop, a colleague of mine never came back after xmas, due to a sudden condition with his heart, and it kind of got me thinking about a responsibility, which I've been irresponsible about up to know in all honesty

I spend alot of time working with my couples, planning their product with them, but of course there is no guarantee that illness, injury, or ....... Won't go there.

One solution for me, as a solo shooter, is not just to rely on a calendar stored on a computer, but to also get a 'black' book of all bookings, detailing phone numbers, venues etc, primarily for the wifes purposes, incase I ... reverse out onto a road, in front of an oncoming bus, with my monopod and beloved 5D :-). That reminds me, I need to update my will, so that the monopod & 5D goes to a good home, if undamaged in the accident :-)

I know this is trivial, but why should a couple not get a DVD, should something unexpected happen to their videography (touching wood), in the weeks before, and in many ways, this also relates to sickness or injury too.

I'd be interested to see what 'plan B's' you folks have in place with other videographers, as i'm sure like myself, people have also giving this sort of depressing subject, some form of thought.

I was thinking of setting up a 777 emergency hotline for cinematographers and videographers :-)
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Run over by a bus ...

Joe,
Yep it can happen to any of us. I keep all my records about an event on paper in my office so if something were to happen my wife can make a phone call. All the numbers of my friends that shoot are listed and she knows who to call.

Being 65, I keep thinking how I'd hate to be at a reception and keel over with a heart attack. A good friend of mine always tells me that if that were to happen to make sure I keep the camera rolling. ;-)

True story; a few months ago I read about a DJ (late 20's IIRC) who while loading in his gear for the wedding at the hotel, (the ceremony and reception were taking place at the same venue and he was supplying the music for the ceremony) keeled over and died of a heart attack. To make a long story short someone there (a guest) knew CPR and did that while someone else called 911. Another DJ there for another event knew the guy and his boss, called the boss and the other DJ helped out with gear and so on until the boss got there to taake over. Unfortunately the DJ who had the heart attack did not make it but the event did go off alibet a bit late but it still happened. Everything went right except for the DJ.

Makes you think. While our industry isn't the most mentally or physically taxing thing to do, it can be both and it just proves you never know what can happen or when it will happen.

I think we all need the emergency list and take better care of ourselves (says the guy who smokes a pack a day). I'd hate for my wife to have to return money to a client just because I died. Hell, she'd need it to bury me. :-O
Old January 13th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Major Player

This is on my mind a lot, but really most every other wedding professional has this same burden.

As a husband and wife team, one of my biggest concerns is a death in the family, or some sort of emergency that affects the two of us. I don't know what we'll do in the situation that BOTH of us are unable to make it...but we do have backup shooters in the event that one of us falls ill. Knock on wood, but we haven't had to ask them yet. But just people we trust and know that they know how to use a camera in case we need them to go on a shoot.

Also, we pad our delivery time after the wedding just in case something like this comes up. So far we've delivered all of our final DVDs well before the 8-12 week window that we allow, but the time is there if we need it.
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Don,

you crack me up sometimes .... "keep the camera rolling" ... that's hilarious. Turn the camera around though too, just so the CPR action gets recorded.

Anyway, let me put this rather depressing topic to bed. Not sure why I posted it, although If it reminds any other professional out there, to keep a back up filing system, for all to find, then it might not be such a wasteful thread.
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Joe

No, it's important to have a backup plan and therefore the thread is definately a good one..yeah, trust Don to add his wicked sense of humour. I have a clause in my contract that limits my liability to a refund of all monies paid if I cannot fulfil my obligations. I also do have a file with a spec sheet in it with all the bride details contact numbers etc etc so if I did leave this Earth suddenly (hopefully from having a heart attack after an all day romp with a pair of stunning 26 year old twins) ( if I gotta go I want it to at least be worth my while) those left behind can contact the bride and refund the money.

These things can and do happen and if something goes wrong 3 months before the wedding it's easy to find a replacement videographer but it might be a bit tougher if he/she keels over on the day.

The bottom line is have a hard copy of your records that can be found easily!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
so if I did leave this Earth suddenly (hopefully from having a heart attack after an all day romp with a pair of stunning 26 year old twins) ( if I gotta go I want it to at least be worth my while) Chris
Chris, I'm shocked! 26? Why so old!? I'm thinking more like 19 or 20!!! Of course it's more like a day dream than anything else and if my wife even finds out...Well, she'd either roll over laughing quite hard or she'd smack me with a frying pan!
O|O
\--/
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hey Don

With your 19 or 20 year olds you will probably be gone before you start anything and that would be a pity! At least I want to have something to explain the big smile on my face when I'm gone. Come to think of it maybe 35 is more realistic???

I guess we can dream on but when you hear something behind you remember to duck ..that frying pan will hurt!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I keep a running Google doc of all shows...

[Day of the Week, Date, Year -- Client, Show, Venue, City, State]

If I were to kick the bucket or go out-of-commission, my clients could be found and informed.
Christian Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques