24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Trustee

24p

Anyone shooting weddings in 24p?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: 24p

Absolutely. 24p is one part of the puzzle when it comes to a cinematic look. For me (and many others) 24p, a large sensor, the ability to use shallow depth of field when you want, a 180 degree shutter speed, and a little practice and luck gets you very close to that magical look we associate with the cinema.

Not to mention, as I read on here years ago, shooting 24p with a 180 degree shutter lets in almost a whole stop more of light than shooting 30p with a 180 degree shutter speed (1/48 vs. 1/60). And I always need as much light as I can get at a wedding.

And if you create your DVD or Bluray disc correctly, a 24p video should play back perfectly on any television (at least here in the United States)

30p is ok, but I prefer 24p. I would never do a wedding in 60i. To me, 60i it has the motion properties--the "look"-- of old analog video, and I've been trying to get away from that since the 90's.
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for the reply Bob, I have been trying to bring back my GY-HD 100 now I may have a reason. Question how do you deal with moving shots? ie dancing and table shots? Do you get studdering?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you have the choice to shoot 30p, why don't you use that? If I can choose between 25p and 50p I definetely would choose 50p. 50p would provide a much smoother panning motion and if you would hold a 25p and a 50p image (from the same camera) side by side you hardly will notice any difference, you would mainly see it when you pan as 25p would give you stuttering motion or when there would be a lot of movement going on you might notice it a bit.

I actually never understood why you would introduce this kind of stuttery motion into your footage just so it can be called more "cinematic". personally I find it very distracting and it requires a totally different approach when following a object just to take the attention away from the stutter.

Also when you are slowing down your footage, a "technique" that is often used in weddings 24 or 25p will give you awefull motion, 50p will look nice and smooth. Here I also can image 30p will be better then 24p.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques