Tascam DR40 for wedding audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tascam DR40 for wedding audio

Just picked up the Tascam DR40 and just want to ask if anyone is using it for ceremonies and receptions. I have two RCA to XLR male cables @ 3 foot long. What other cables would be recommended to be use to hook up to the DJ's mixer? There are so many combination of male and female ends to cables that it's driving me crazy trying to sort it all out. What runs out of the mixer 1/4 inch, XLR male/female? Is 1/4 to 1/4 inch into the Tascam just as good as 1/4 inch to XLR? What are some of the cable situations that I will come across that I need to cover? Also what lenght cable is long enough? 3, 5,6,10 foot????

As of last season I was using RCA to 1/8 in on a Yamaha recorder with decent success. But the last wedding of the season they didn't have RCA out only XLR so I placed the recorder off to the side of their speaker and it just isn't the greatest audio for the speeches. That's why I chose to upgrade to a better recorder. Thanks.
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Tascam DR40 for wedding audio

We have both the H4N and the DR40. To be completely honest, you are going to need a few different types. You just never know what the DJs will give you. Most times, we do ask the DJ what connection they will allow us to tap into. I notice and you probably have too that most times they have RCA connections. However I have ran across a few different ones: XLR and 1/4. I suggest buying a few different sets from monoprice. They are very inexpensive.I usually buy the 3 foot length ones. I notice those are enough to get the cables out of the DJs way. I would also recommend getting different audio adapters as those help us out too (1/4 to 1/8, RCA to 1/4, etc).
Chris Talawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Tascam DR40 for wedding audio

Thanks Chris - What XLR out of the DJ's mixer would I need - male or female? And as far as 1/4 inch out would 1/4 to 1/4 work fine or would you recommend 1/4 to XLR because of the locking pin on the DR40? Also noticed that some1/4 cable are labeled TRS and some are not - I don't know if it would make a difference.

With the 3 foot cable where do you put the recorders? Do you have it on bracket /mic stand or just let it hang from the back of the mixer? Thanks again.
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques