too many cameras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 24th, 2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Major Player

too many cameras?

OK,
I just got my mkiii. The original plan was to sell the mkii and shoot with the mkiii and 60d. Then, I got to thinking that it would be more difficult to match the 60d with the mkiii in low light. I use the 60d primarily for the crop during ceremonies. With 3 cams I could shoot the bride with the mkiii have my second on the groom with the mkii and then ceremony with the 60d as primary and mkiii as second. I could also shoot the processional with the mkiii which is usually the darkest part of the day where I can't use lights. I could use the $1600 for the mkii right now, but would it be worth it to have an equivalent backup or second cam. also if i keep it I'll need to get another lens and some more cards. thoughts?
Old May 24th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: too many cameras?

I switched the three cams from two this year. It makes life so much easier and less stressful and gives you so much more choice in editing. I do multicam editing in Vegas Pro 11.

But you'd really have to stay on the ball if using all Canon dSLRs because of the short maximum take time in high def.

Don't forget you really should have adequate backup equipment so don't go selling what you might need in a tight spot :- )

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Inner Circle

"But you'd really have to stay on the ball if using all Canon dSLRs because of the short maximum take time in high def."

Consider Magic Lantern for your cams. Should be ready to run on your and 60D and new version of Unified for the MKII is being tested. It is called unified because it is intended to be similar to the ones for the 60D and T2-3i's I believe one of the great features is the ability to continuously record until the card is filled up. You might lose a frame or two in switch but that can usually be covered. in a cut away.
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Major Player

I think the mk111 records up to 29 minutes.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You could also consider selling the MKII and buying a Canon XA10. In well lit venues the Canon matches DSLR footage extremely well, gives you two sources of audio (Wireless on one XLR channel and shotgun on the other).

I switched out two DSLR style cameras for video cameras this year so now I use two and two, and it is the best move I could have made. Having a smooth zoom at my disposal again is priceless to me.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Major Player

I think the OP would be using the Mark 3 as the primary cam because of its superior low light performance but even if it were a locked down cam instead then 30 minutes can get swallowed up very quickly. Say it's locked down and running in anticipation of the brides processional. But then she's more than a few minutes late and / or the cam is in a position where it cannot be readily accessed at that point in the ceremony without causing a distraction or walking into your own shot.

While I admire the work done by the Magic Lantern developer I am not thrilled with the somewhat convoluted card babysitting that must be done. I shoot a lot of stills as well and so card management is an important factor. ML is a great resource in the right circumstances but for me weddings are not one of those right circumstances. Partly because I always work alone I much prefer dedicated video cams that can run for xtended periods and can also do a decent job of autofocus, autoexposure, auto white balance, backlight compensation etc should the need arise.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the replies. I also have a HMC150 and a TM900 that I use for a constant shot so, no need there. As it is, I usually have my second shooter on the 60D with the 70-200 where I shoot the processional, he shoots the grooms face, etc. I'm just wondering if the 5DmkII will be redundant. I've had to shoot a reception with teh 60D when the 5D malfunctioned, so it does ok as a backup. Just trying to weigh my options.
Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques