Dance recital, how many unhappy parents - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:16 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Dance recital, how many unhappy parents

To answer the original question ... I've never received a complaint, but there's no doubt in my mind that there have been unhappy customers. After all ... can anyone ever get enough of their own kid?

Throw me into the mix as one that has tried split screen and PiP. Finally we settled on a straight, two camera shoot ... one always wide (wide meaning always keeping all dancers in the shot, but zooming in a bit tighter if the whole stage is not used) and the other tight with closeups. Even my choreographers seem to like the two camera method as it just makes for a nicer video.

In reality ... I think we shoot more for ourselves and most places would be very pleased with a single camera shot that was always well framed with great audio.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:32 PM   #17
Regular Crew

A lot of times certain types of people with no artistic mind frame complain if you give them anything more than a static wide shot.
Jeff Dinges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Haven't had any unhappy parents either.
If they do, then they just didn't get what they expected.
But if you filmed any dance recitals wide enough to show their children and if you had a 2nd camera to have close ups of main dancers, then 99% of parents would be happy.
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Same here, one camera wide that shows the whole stage and once set I don't touch it anymore and a second camera to follow the action closer, if it's a small group I keep them nicely in frame and if it's a large group I might do slow pan movements. Here they also want to see the whole groups and the choreography in general so every parent can see their child, even if it's from a bigger distance. No complaints so far.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #20
Major Player

I've been doing these for about 10 years now. Early on, we would always have 4 or 5 who were not happy. The reason has always been, you got 10 seconds of Suzy, but only 3 seconds of my Allison kind of thing.

There was a time, when we were doing several studios between Alabama and Tennessee. The largest one had some 300 dancers (the spring recital lasts on average 3.5 - 4.0 hours). The other ones were all in the 150-200 range. There was one year where we did one Nashville that was a small start up with maybe 40 dancers, and on that one we did not have one complaint.

As the size of the studio goes up, the liklihood of upset parents increases quickly!

Back when we started we used 4 cameras... now we just use 1 camera that is mostly wide for all group activity, and close ups on soloists. Been doing it that way for 4 years now, and not had 1 complaint since.
Old July 6th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Kyle

Yep, wide is definately the safest route so each and every one gets the same exposure. My last I did with two cameras and we had no option but to film from about 100' back. One camera was wide and I put a huge amount of effort on camera two, to give each dancer the same amount of "air time" ..it's virtually impossible when you start getting the more active ones that also seem to have a "lead dancer" as the lead dancer is more than often in shot more than the rest of the group. I did have one young girl (maybe late teens/early 20's) who was in just about every act and mostly took the lead role so, of course, she got more exposure overall and that was mentioned, not by the parents, but by the dancing studio teacher.

Next time I'll still use two cameras but both will be framed exactly to the stage so no-one gets left out ot favoured!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques