lighting for weddings - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 26th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: lighting for weddings

Chris, my 5510A lamp arrived this morning & I am very pleased. Construction is excellent, the foot is much better made than the other cheap LED lamps we have & it is _really_ bright compared to the 126/160-LED lamps. The light seems harder & throws further so you can use it more as a spot. The battery charger is pretty crummy as it is a US wall bug supplied with a wobbly continental plug adaptor but that's a minor point as I do have decent Sony battery chargers. Thanks for the tip. I shall be ordering another.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Hi Nigel

I'm glad you like it..the construction is good..just be careful of one weak point, the barn doors..I had the light still on the camera at midnight and whilst placing the cam in my car boot, the barn door (left open) caught against the boot lid and snapped off. Apart from that I have had no issues.

DOH!!! Why didn't I think about getting a Sony charger!!!! Yeah, same problem here..I have to prop the charger up with something otherwise it just falls over and stops charging with the USA plug and sstandard adaptor!!! I'll grab a Sony charger that has a cable not one of those direct plug-in devices....You could, also do a simple rewire so it has it's own cable and correct plug and sits on the floor or desk!!

I currently have the 5010 and the 5010A like you have and the 5010 has been running for 12 months so far..at that price I'm happy to replace every 12 months!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Chris, my 5510A lamp arrived this morning & I am very pleased. Construction is excellent, the foot is much better made than the other cheap LED lamps we have & it is _really_ bright compared to the 126/160-LED lamps. The light seems harder & throws further so you can use it more as a spot. The battery charger is pretty crummy as it is a US wall bug supplied with a wobbly continental plug adaptor but that's a minor point as I do have decent Sony battery chargers. Thanks for the tip. I shall be ordering another.
Nigel, do you have a link for the light ? Delivery seems quite speedy if its a Hong Kong supplier
Old July 26th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Nigel, do you have a link for the light ? Delivery seems quite speedy if its a Hong Kong supplier
It's a UK supplier & I just ordered another as I am so pleased with the first one BRAND NEW LED 5010A CAMERA LIGHT FOR DSLR CAMERAS CAMCORDERS 5055593412063 | eBay
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #35
Major Player

Much appreciated Nigel. Think I will give one a whirl, thanks
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #36
New Boot

Can I ask those of you using lighting on stands near the dance floor, what type of setup you use for that? More importantly what type of remote control is it?
Mark Wynimko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Mark, I use 2 remote lled lights. I got the Logisys 12v 6A remotes. They come with 2 keychain controls and both were different freqs (yay for me ;-). It was a pretty easy install first one I had help---you know who you are ;-) took about 5 minutes and the 2nd even quicker. They work great with the remotes. Oh yeah these came from the big auction place that has an E in the name and were about $17.00 a piece
HTHs
Old July 27th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Hey Don

I have no objection if you mention me regarding wiring the remotes at all. That's what we do here..assist each other!! Mark, If you do buy them you do have to perform minor surgery on the light itself so the remote will work with it. If you need some help with the mod just let me know..it's fairly simple to do!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Chris,
I didn't mention you because I was afraid of the credits thing. You know, mention a someone in an ad and they migh be looking for money ;-)

Anyway, Chris Harding helped me with the wiring. His explaination made it an easy job for me to cut, snip, solder. I've still got the diagram so if anyone needs it let me know.

Thanks Chris!

0|0
\--/
Old July 27th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #40
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
How about a F1.4 lens to go with your DSLR and you can forget about the light.
and about focus too, i would love to see coming in shot at f/1.4
Old July 27th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #41
New Boot

Thanks guys. Don I'd love if you could either post or message me how to do this. Also does anyone have any short clip of a reception that was lit by such lighting? I'd love to see.
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Mark here's the pic of the 160 led light. I think it's pretty self explainatory but if you need some clarification I'll try to explain it.
Be careful when cutting and stripping the wires in the light they are fragile. I cut the leads on the remote somewhat shorter also.
Attached Thumbnails
lighting for weddings-led-remote-wire.jpg  
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #43
New Boot

Thanks. What stands work well for you? Or how do you mount it?

Last edited by Mark Wynimko; July 27th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old July 28th, 2012, 05:13 AM   #44
Inner Circle

I use a couple of stands that I've had around for a while. Don't even rememeber what brand. They're fairly inexpensive, go to 7 feet and have a 1/4-20 stud on top so I can simply screw the foot of the light to that. the light has a tilt built into it so it's a simple matter of adjusting for general coverage by slightly tilting the lght and turning the stand a bit left or right. Once I set it, i forget it. I keep the keychain remotes on my multirig with a bit of gaff tape or on my tripod with tape depending on what I'm using. Generally at receptions I'm on the multirig so I tape the remotes to the left handle. Works out fine for me.
HTHs
Old July 28th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Hi Mark

The really simple and cheap stands made in China all seem to have a 1/4" stud on the top..if you have a lighting stand that doesn't just buy a 1/4" tap and the aluminium top piece is easy to drill and tap and insert a stud (or just a 1/4" bolt with the head cut off)

When I still had the 160 lights the base was really wobbly so I unscrewed the base plate and inserted a mini ball head so I could rotate in any direction ..mini ball heads, of course already have the 1/4" thread in the base. If that's what you are using then while you have the light dismantled to mod the wiring, take the opportunity to add a mini ball head under the light rather than the cheap plastic swivel.

Glad to see yours are still working well Don!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques