newbie looking for feedback. Just shot my first wedding with DSLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #1
New Boot

newbie looking for feedback. Just shot my first wedding with DSLR

I have just shot my first wedding on Saturday.

Almost all of the shots are taken on a monopod with a few shots on a tripod.

All shots were taken on a 60D with Tamron 17-50mm

Audio was thru a shotgun mic on a Zoom H2n. (It was a fail)

This is done as a favor for my friend.

I am looking for some feedback to improve. Please be as harsh as possible

Thank you!

Jackson Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: newbie looking for feedback. Just shot my first wedding with DSLR

There were not enough closeups. Closeups give your video it needed emotional impact.

Otherwise, less headroom on a couple of shots, there is too much space overhead in the shot a couple of times.

I strongly dislike the color of things in the video, but I don't know what the cause of it is, I guess fluorescent lighting, which you cannot control much.

Overall, your shots were framed well, except for too much headroom sometimes.

The shots you show in your clip were very good, and there was a beginning, middle and an end, which is critical.

Keep shooting for free and if you get another wedding get a voice recorder with a lav mic for the vows and you'll be all set!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Major Player

For a first attempt, it's wasn't that bad. I've seen much worse.
The good news: mostly well focused and exposed. Steady camerawork, variety of angles, decent composition (although uneven at times).
The bad news: Audio and lens choice. If you're planning on doing this for pay, you can't get away with a shotgun and zoom unit. If that was all you had, then you would have been better off with the zoom recording house sound and the shotgun on camera. Ideally, there would have been a wireless on the officiant, recorders for the groom (vows), a recorder for the piano and singer. Digital audio recorders range from $99 to $599 and you should have a few at your disposal. The old adage is it's better to have a cheap mic up close, than an expensive mic far away.
The 17-50 is fine for prep coverage, but in a church, you'll want something like a 70-200 with your crop sensor. Having one lens will really limit the variety you can get (without running around like crazy).
Editing was also in need of some finesse. Take a look at what the professionals are producing, read up on the art of editing, and invest some time in color correction tutorials.
You'll be well on your way to producing great pieces in no time.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What Jeff says !!

Vows are absolutely critical!! Without audio would will be skinned alive if it was a paid wedding. Too many people place little importance on audio..in fact you can often get away with slightly poor video but the audio must be awesome!!!

Definately get in a lot closer...during the ceremony I have a tight shot from one cam on the B&G all the time and use the 2nd cam for cutaways while the 3rd and 4th cover the top and reverse angle shots.

If you look at the register signing you seriously should have been right up at the altar...and then a tight zoom right onto the certificate as she signs it.

For a first effort it was still good!! Nice to see no wobbles either!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
The shots you show in your clip were very good, and there was a beginning, middle and an end, which is critical.

Keep shooting for free and if you get another wedding get a voice recorder with a lav mic for the vows and you'll be all set!
Thank you for your suggestion! I will definitely get more close up next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
The 17-50 is fine for prep coverage, but in a church, you'll want something like a 70-200 with your crop sensor. Having one lens will really limit the variety you can get (without running around like crazy).
Editing was also in need of some finesse. Take a look at what the professionals are producing, read up on the art of editing, and invest some time in color correction tutorials.
You'll be well on your way to producing great pieces in no time.
Thank you! I don't have it, but Is the 70-200 2.8 too heavy for a monopod?

Do you have any recommendation to read up on the art of editing and color correction?
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
What Jeff says !!
Definately get in a lot closer...during the ceremony I have a tight shot from one cam on the B&G all the time and use the 2nd cam for cutaways while the 3rd and 4th cover the top and reverse angle shots.

If you look at the register signing you seriously should have been right up at the altar...and then a tight zoom right onto the certificate as she signs it.

For a first effort it was still good!! Nice to see no wobbles either!!!

Chris
Thank you Chris.
Am I thinking this right?
1st cam - tele lenses cam on a monopod controlled by me
2nd cam - camera on a tripod with a wide angle lenses placed at the back
3rd cam - camera on tripod with a wide angle lenses facing the audiences?

Thx
JAck
Old July 20th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Major Player

I suggest looking at some color correction tutorials on YouTube. Even better, pony up for Lynda.com tutorials. As for editing, it's as much an art as a discipline. Go to Half.com and type in "cinematography", where you'll find a range of books. You can also intern or offer your services to a fellow wedding videographer. Doing some 2nd camera work for an established studio will help you determine what gear you might want to invest in, and provide you with some shooting practice.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Jackson, I am of the school of thought that until you are getting paid, shoot for free with what you have if you want. You do NOT have to invest in a single piece if gear unless you have the money to spare at this time.

Most important at the beginning is to learn how to shoot the wedding, and the lens you have is perfectly fine for learning with.

I didn't address the audio right now because you are shooting free, and that gives you freedom to do what you want to do.

Yes you will want to learn how to capture vows, but I think you could just try and find other free weddings to do to learn how to shoot first. Just my two cents.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Jackson

You don't have to go out and buy extra cameras yet!! Just get in a lot closer with what you have!! I was actually talking about physically closer not zoom!! At weddings I walk right up to the altar and shoot wide but close ..like I'm around 3' from the bride..that also allows me to tilt and zoom right onto the certificate as she signs it!! But yes don't worry about more lenses yet ..you really need audio gear and a lav mic on the groom (I use wireless but what works best for you is good!)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques