When would you interrupt a ceremony? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 9th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: When would you interrupt a ceremony?

It's fun to see how we all fear the man behind the altar :) Almost like a king that's conducting his speech with his fly unzipped, would you as a cameraman tell him or not if no-one else would notice :D

If I would see that happening I would not interrupt as long as the priest would speak but when they would be playing a song I would go over to the groom to fix it. Ofcourse if I see it happening when the couple is doing their vows I would not interfere and just come up real close with my own camera to capture his/her voice.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I can also be an outright SOB when I have to.
Ha! Love it, Don. You sure need to be when it comes to those dangling iPads!
Old August 9th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Ha, no it's not really that. I think I've about run my course in the business. I've been doing weddings in one form or another (stills or video) since 1971 and honestly the older I get the less patience I have. I still enjoy doing them except for the long hours, short breaks, hurting body, idiot guests (a few, not all)....I could go on but why? Ha, maybe this coming year IS the year I'll finally get out. Don't let me be a role model for how to act in this business. My personality works for me, probably not for anyone else. (gotta keep smilin')

0|0
\--/
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
It's fun to see how we all fear the man behind the altar :)
Much of what a priest says is prayer. In Christian, Hindu, Muslim and Jewish tradition, prayer is conversation with God. During the Catholic liturgy the priest acts in the person of Christ and the dialogue is factually between Jesus and God. What prevents the interruption of the man behind the altar is respect to all parties involved in that conversation. It is very important to understand what is going on when covering any event.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ml#post1747283

Imagine interrupting a game at the Olympics because microphone #2 went offline. This would indicate a lack of understanding that some sort of sporting competition was in progress. Interrupting a priest during a prayer would show a different lack of understanding.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Interrupting a priest during a prayer would show a different lack of understanding.
I never do that and didn"t say I did.
Quote:
What prevents the interruption of the man behind the altar is respect to all parties involved in that conversation
"rent a priest" is becoming very popular here, they are often "priests" that are not allowed to do ceremonies in Church but they have formed an own organisation to celebrate the marriage with focus on the couple and their values in life and much less focus on a non existing God. These people are much easier to deal with and they respect everyone in that room, whether it's the guests, the video-guy or the photog. it's also the only ceremonies where the couple are facing their friends and not like in a church showing their backs to everyone because they have to face the priest, to me that's lack of respect but that's a whole other story I don't want to go into. :)
Old August 9th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Moreno View Post
Not only do you not mention the mute button on the transmitter...put tape over it so it cannot be muted.
well, it's taped now, since one of my last year weddings, when groom was playing too mch with the wireless,
but i didn't stop ceremony :)
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Hi Don

Yeah right!! This coming year is going to be your last year?? I clearly remember you saying that in 2011 that after June 2012 you have a few weddings and then that's the end!!

I think that you, deep down, would really miss doing weddings on a Saturday, plus the wife is so used to you being out on a Saturday, you would probably just get under her feet if you stay at home.

I think it's much like quitting smoking..you have to cut down a bit at a time so even a wedding every other weekend shouldn't be too much ?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Ha Chris, you know me too well. I did however quit smoking 6 months ago and honestly, I don't miss it, so I'm kinda thinkin' the same about weddings. BUT......
Old August 9th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Hi Don

I seriously miss doing weddings over Winter!! Then again I don't do them like you...this season so far I have 25 booked and my usual target is no more than 30 in a season ...Ideally I like one on a weekend..it's too much of a rush to get home at 1am ..charge batteries and be on site the next morning at 11am for the next bridal prep.

It's also a bit of a social occasion too and lot's of pretty girls to look at without the wife interjecting!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Don

I seriously miss doing weddings over Winter!! Then again I don't do them like you...this season so far I have 25 booked and my usual target is no more than 30 in a season ...Ideally I like one on a weekend..it's too much of a rush to get home at 1am ..charge batteries and be on site the next morning at 11am for the next bridal prep.

It's also a bit of a social occasion too and lot's of pretty girls to look at without the wife interjecting!!

Chris
Ha Chris, I tell my wife that just cause I'm on a diet doesn't mean I can't look at the menu. ;-)

IF (a big if) I do wedding next year I will cut back to no more than 2 a month-24 MAX! This year I cut back and still wound up with 40. It really is just getting to hard physically for me plus honestly, wifey and I want to spend some time traveling and doing things we weren't able to do when we were younger. Raising kids makes a big dent in the finances so now that they're raising their own and we have visiting privledges, we figure this is as good a time as any. We'll see. I'm so conflicted. ;-O
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #41
Inner Circle

I also wouldn't interrupt the ceremony because of this. Keep this clip as blooper reel to show the B&G so they can't blame you for bad sound.

I have a similar situation.
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
I never do that and didn"t say I did.
The last sentence of my post was rhetorical and not directed at you. Sorry if it appeared otherwise. Actually, you were quite clear in your previous post that you would wait until the priest was through.

Quote:
the couple are facing their friends and not like in a church showing their backs to everyone
You bring up an important point about the difference between a public announcement of marriage and a religious ceremony. Some weddings are more one than the other. This distinction affects the role of the videographer for the entire event and definitely influences when it's okay to interrupt.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Sorry that I misunderstood you :) Belgian churches are often not that bad, you can't interrupt a priest while preaching but you can walk around freely when they are playing a song, so if something goes wrong with the grooms mic you could fix it then. The only exception is for photogs who do walk around all the time and I have had occasions where the priest stopped the ceremony eyeballing the photog untill he got the point and sat down.

Worst are ceremonies in the Netherlands, I have not done that many there but some priest act as if they are God. had to film a 6 years old his communion in a small church, the parents had decorated the church with lots of balloons and put flowers on the altar and I placed my zoom recorder between those flowers.

When the priest came in he immediately ordered to remove the flowers and my recorder from his altar, "this has nothing to do with your son's communion and it's distracting, please remove it" he said, I then got clear instructions not to pass the altar but the problem was I could not get a clear view of the kid I was hired to film during that ceremony. I saw the mother looking at me but she didn't dare to say anything. When the ceremony started I stayed in my designated place but very slowly moved passed that invisible line the priest drew, just far enough so I could film the kid and I got away with it.

Now if the priest would have send me back when he saw me moving I would have packed my camera and just left the ceremony, it's no use standing behind the alter not being able to see the boy I was hired to film. Here I would then expect the parents to demand that I would be allowed to stand still on the side with a clear view of the ceremony but this is yet another example how people fear the man behind the altar, no wonder so few do go to church anymore.
Old August 10th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #44
Major Player

Well I had the something of the opposite happen yesterday. During the ceremony the vicar asked "Who gives this man to be married to this woman". The bride said to him it should be the other way around. The vicar turned to me and said will you be able to strike that from the video and we'll do it again. I said yes but of course I won't, at least not on the bride's version, she was laughing so much.

So vicars are human after all and not infallible.

After that we were on first name terms, when they went to sign the register he turned to me and said "George we're now going to the side chapel if you'd like to go ahead you'll get them arriving there"
George Kilroy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques