Reception Highlight Clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 13th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Reception Highlight Clip

Hello Everyone,

Here is a reception highlights clip that closes out a video I have recently finished.

http://www.truvisionstudios.com/demo..._reception.wmv

I think I could use some pointers on color correction. Are there any good books or DVD's on the topic? I am using FCP5. When I use the color corrector filter in FCP I adjust the Black and White levels so I have a full curve on the histogram, and then try to bring the levels up with the mids slider, but the image gets so grainy. I only used 6db of gain at the reception, and have a dimmable frezzi mini-fill with a softbox, but I am using DVX100a's.

If I were to switch to Sony PD170's and/or VX2100's would the difference in the camera's Signal to Noise ratio be the difference between night and day so to speak? How much of a difference is there? Would I have more room to adjust my video levels in post than I do using my DVX's? What are the differences between the PD170 and VX2100 besides the audio features of the PD170?

Thanks All

By the way... the clip I posted was shot in 30p mode. I know that shooting 60i would give me better results in low light, but to me the difference seems to be negligible. Especially when shooting 30p at 1/30 shutter.. not sure if this is the greatest idea/technique, but it seemed to work.
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Matt,
Overall it was a good clip. I'm sure your client will love it. But here are some things I would change.
First off your colors are fine, I didn't notice anything that jumped at me. Of course some will argue that they have to be perfect (Glen :) ) but I think if you get them close you're ok.
Secondly, I would cut out the video of them serving themselves food. Especially the bride. People don't want to see themselves getting food, especially a woman.
Third, Where is all the dancing? I saw the bride and groom but where is everyone else? Bridal Party? Mom and Dad? Grandma? I understand you were trying to focus on the B&G but they'll like to see everyone else too.
Fourth, this is more of a personal concern for me but... did you pick that country song or did they? I'm not a fan of country but if thats what the B&G like, then I can understand.
I'd just like to reiterate that these are things I would change in my video, they arn't necessarily what needs to be changed or what is "correct."

Again, overall a good clip Matt!
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Food shots: really should go. It looks like you had some great cutaways based on some of them that you added and they would work much better than any food shot.

If you move to a Sony camera you won't notice much of a lighting improvement on the main subject if you stay at the distances your at, and if you continue to not use your on camera light. I understand the non-obtrusive genre who don't want lighting, but if you want low light quality then you need to use the light at a proper distance for it to make an impact on your material. Regarless of camera model it will still be dark to some extent without that fill light being used at a proper strength and distance. The Sony's would give a better overall low light feel however if it's just run and gun.

Smooth editing though.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks

Thank you for your input on the clip Darrel and Ben.

Are you suggesting that I not show the food at all, or just not show them getting food. I purchased a set of the training videos by the Von Lanken's and they said to include the food, because people spend alot of money on it.

I don't care much for the shot of the bride getting food either. I think the exposure was bad, and the color is off, but I can't seem to fix it with color correction. I think I'll pull it, and try to find something to replace it with.

When you refer to cut away shots... are you refering to shots of the couple or shots of things around the room like gifts, candles, etc.

I wish I had more dancing to include also. Unfortunatly the DJ was not very good in getting people on the dance floor. I was there for about 35 minutes after all the Formal dances, and the dance floor was empty.

Again Thank You!
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm suggesting no food at all. Mark could answer in person at some point but I'm pretty sure that when the Von Lanken's mentioned the food shots that they were refering to set up shots of the food as it waits to be served. Shot's that are artsy and reveal just the food, not people getting the food. It doesn't look very appealing when you see people scooping it out.

The cutaways are the shots other than the main action. The candles, cake, flowers, etc. They get you from point A to point B or C in your edit or they cover and are used as fill for area's of questionable material (bad shots).

Next time, if you want the food, try and set up some lit shots of the food and try and make it look really tasty as it waits for people to come eat it. Watch your lighting because a harsh light on the food will make it look plain and un-appealing, but a nice fill light that fits your camera settings can make it look great.

I think that you had some good cutaways so I'd try and find some more and use them if possible, or some different shots of the couple. This is another reason why it's really important to vary your shot throughout the day. Don't just shoot it as a medium shot. Later, you have options and choices that will cut together well in the highlights.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #6
Major Player

I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with. I'll try to post a new version with some minor changes (take out food, unfortunatly not much to add in the dancing department, it just didn't happen) some time next week. In the meantime the feedback on my work is good... so if you have something to say... I would like to hear it.

Thank You!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques