too many cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 20th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Trustee

too many cameras

I see more & more digital cameras at weddings these days - every bastard has one. I'm thinking of making up a sign to leave at the entrance to the ceremony - what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
too many cameras-front.png   too many cameras-back.png  

Old September 20th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: too many cameras

Hi Paul

You could also try banging your head on the wall. It would have the same result except you will end up with a headache!!

We have just one Church in Perth where the cunning priest (a lady too) has some strict rules for weddings.

No photography or video is permitted by guests! Only the official photographer and videographer can take shots....No flash from the photographer is permitted...Photog and Video is not permitted closer than the front row of seats and finally when the bride is in the aisle the photog and videographer is not allowed in the aisle (entry and exit)

She has been known also to halt a wedding ceremony and actually eject the photog from the Church!!

You always get clear shots and never any problems as she is the boss! I really cannot see any guests paying the slightest bit of attention to signs. Just for interest I set up my GoPro on a light stand first at a ceremony..8' up in the air so no-one gets in the way of that!! Works a treat

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Trustee

Then what do you do when there's 4 hired professional photographers, and 3 videographers all trying to get the same scene? I'm not kidding.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:36 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I think you ask those questions as far in advance as you can Warren (:

Commiserations Paul. A while ago here someone posted the reasons he uses a proper videocam, the summary of which was,
he didn't want to be grouped with the guests toting DSLRs.

Every bastard has one of those and they outnumber him every time.

Cheers.
Old September 21st, 2012, 05:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

That second image made me laugh :D I have done a Turkish wedding last year and that was horrible, there where 2 weddings celebrated at the same time and when both couples entered the venue I was following them walking backwards with the steadicam and there was like 50 people leaning on me following my footsteps and EVERY person had a camera taking pictures or filming. I even see guests with 5DII camera's these days.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:44 AM   #6
New Boot

I helped a friend shoot stills at a wedding last year. I actually caught one of the guests taking pictures (with a 5D of course) of the couples' dining table during the reception.
Andrew Giordano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Trustee

My friend, a professional wedding photographer, shoots with Canon 5DMiis. He recently shot a couple from China. During the shoot, the groom calmly asks my friend if he wouldn't mind shooting some candids with his camera own camera. "Sure, no problem!" my friend says. The groom then pulls out a Leica S2-P and hands it to my friend. My friend almost fainted from embarrassment.

For those who don't know what an S2-P is....
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/643776-USA/Leica_10802_S2_P_SLR_Digital_Camera.html
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

the groom should be embarrassed for hiring a photog that uses a simple 5dII, what was he thinking?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Major Player

Well I think you and the photog should each strap on a pair of .45s with an ammo belt around your neck then greet all the guests as they enter with "Hi, we're the only two people who are going to have any cameras here..... you got a problem with that?" :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Chip

You forgot to add the word "punk" at the end of the sentence!!

Now here is a real opportunity to build an "anti-photog" rig...should have a vest on your body with a platform over your head and a little control box and joystick in front of you. Just wander around the Church and control pan and zoom and recklessly bump into/stand in front of photogs ...you don't care, you are getting perfect shots just 7' off the floor so it doesn't matter who you block.

I saw similar post last year here we also had some neat suggestions like a simple label on your lens hood (that you point out to the photogs) about your proximity triggered taser unit on the camera that will zap anyone that is closer than 10' away or is in your field of vision.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:18 AM   #11
Major Player

Hahaha love the second image.
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Or the newly improved and updated blowgun/monopod 3.0 with integrated taser for the ones that don't drop the first time...

Bop 'em, tranq blast 'em or zap 'em... he he he
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:08 PM   #13
Major Player

Last wedding i done, myself the priest and the Groom discussed exactly this phenomenon, I pointed out that lots of flashes going off can impact on the overall effect of the ceremony itself and that a better solution would be to allow a specific time when the congregation can shoot away to their hearts content, It was agreed then that this period would be right after the marriage cert signing, so, prior to the ceremony the Groom stood at the lectern and implored the gathered congregation what had been decided he even went to the bother of pointing us out as the hired help.

But it was to no avail, as soon as the Bride entered the church I could see the first camera being raised, good I thought he just capturing a bit of video as she makes her way up aisle, so no flashes - no chance, it was like one of those western movies 'wait til ya see the white of their eyes' one after another smart phones, tablets, compacts, bridge cameras, handy cams and DSLRs the whole church was awash with garish white light exploding off the walls and guests and indeed the Bride, I'd say she had spots in her eyes for a while after that.

I've since put in my contract that the behaviour of guests taking flash photography and standing in the line of sight of my cameras comes under the list of things defined as outside my control.

As an aside i attended a wedding a short while ago, i didn't bring a camera or phone or anything, i felt quiet inadequate as i've noticed almost everyone had some sort of imaging device, except me!

I think people cant help themselves when faced with this situation when they have the opportunity to capture the scene....
:-)
Old September 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
I see more & more digital cameras at weddings these days - every bastard has one. I'm thinking of making up a sign to leave at the entrance to the ceremony - what do you think?
Thank you very for your post, it's happen to me most asian wedding. Oh. I did copy your pics and post in my website.
Old September 24th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #15
Major Player

I've had DJ's announce to the party that there are Professional video & photo ppl here, and to please be mindful. One was right before the cake cutting & yes ppl stayed away. That always seems to work well, just get in good with them.
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques