Tips for shooting hockey? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 21st, 2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tips for shooting hockey?

Hello,

I have a question about shooting sports, particularly hockey games.

When I am zoomed in on a player or ice action, the picture looks very colourful and clear. When I zoom out and show centre ice or something, the colour is still there but much less vibrant. The players dark jerseys look almost black instead of dark colours, and blue/red lines look very faint. I have tried with various cameras with the same result. Is there a technique that could help balance this out, or is it just the lights washing out the colours? Any way to correct this in the camera during recording?

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Tips for shooting hockey?

Not sure what camera your using...

We shot this on DSLR:

I learned you need a wide DOF because they move very very fast and will change directions or stop just as fast.
Old October 21st, 2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sorry about that, but I'm talking about shooting for live event hockey at a stadium. When i am zoomed in on players, the colours are fine, when zoomed out to show full ice, all the chroma isn't as vibrant. I'm guessing its something to do with the lights or the ice? I am using eng style video cameras (standard def)
Old October 21st, 2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It is the ICE that is causing the problem. I had the same issue with photographing a game. The camera was underexposing everything when the shots were wide and there was a lot of white ice in the frame.

You will want to play around with some manual settings to get the best look.
Old October 21st, 2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Trustee

I agree with Chris, sounds like your camera is closing down its iris when you go wide. The solution would be to lock your iris on manual.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 06:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have iris set to manual with shutter speed turned off. The ice is same brightness but the boards, logos and players, look much more washed out than they really should be I think. I could switch back and forth by turning on a custom scene but that is a lot of bother turning it on and off between wide and tight shots. Just wondering if there was a technique or something that could help.

M
Old October 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Is if possible for you to post a short clip or stills of the issue?
Old October 21st, 2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Trustee

Mark, what camera are you shooting with? When you say you have shutter "off", does that mean it's on automatic? If yes, that could be your problem too.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #9
Regular Crew

We are using Panasonic AG-HPX370 cameras. The lenses are regular stock lenses. I don't have any footage at the moment to share. The cameras are connected SDI. The picture very good especially on tight shots. Everything is crystal clear and vibrant. When I zoom out wide to show the majority of the play, I almost need to boost the colours in the camera if there is a way, or almost have an external proc amp to adjust. The problem is is when I would zoom back in tight again the colours would be oversaturated. Just wondering if there is a another technique or setting I could try that could help with this or if this would require a better lens.

Thanks
M
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #10
Major Player

I shot my first game recently. I used Dynamic Range Stretch function on my AC160a to help with the blown out ice. I don't remember what f-stop i set but was it similar to this? - er, sorry can't figure out how to attach.
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #11
Major Player

Okay -Here they are (window was too small, didn't see the upload button on the right.)
Attached Thumbnails
Tips for shooting hockey?-04-cypressbay-fo.jpg   Tips for shooting hockey?-04-cypressbay-sticksave.jpg  

Old December 12th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Major Player

I shot live hockey for many years and your clips look pretty normal to me. You're not going to get the clarity in your wide shots as you do in the close ups. Now I haven't shot any hockey since moving my system to HD, but the theory is the same. It's the ice. The white ice is going to reflect a lot of light. You can try to play with the saturation on that camera, or the RGB levels to get the colors to pop a little more.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #13
Regular Crew

My footage is pretty much the same, only more severe since my wide distance is forced to be much further away. I was thinking the ice would be the issue. I will try the DRS function to see what difference that makes. Also will try adjusting chroma level to see if i get a better match.

Thanks very much
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques