Asking clients if you can display their videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 14th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #1
Trustee

Asking clients if you can display their videos

Hi,

Wondering what is the normal practice with this. We normally have a clause in the contract asking the client to indicate if they don't want us to use their videos at our website. A high proportion, given the choice, do say "No".

So what do you do? Do you give them a choice at all? Do you make it explicit in the contract? Or do you require in the contract that they give you permission to show off your work?

Don't know what the legal situation is (I suspect it's a grey area under Australian law). But I do think it's ethically right to give clients a choice...
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Asking clients if you can display their videos

Its part of our contract that we can use all footage for promotional purposes however we also respect clients privacy if needed, one client even had it announced during the reception that they did not want photographs or footage appearing on Facebook etc. so we have never shown the footage on the internet. shame
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Trustee

Our contract says we have permissions to use it for portfolio and promotional use. If they specifically ask us not to use it on the web we would honour their request (though that's never happened).

If you specifically give people the opportunity to opt out they are more likely to do it than if they have to go to a lot of effort to ask you not to do it.
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Mine too ....my contract allows the client to make copies of their DVD material but also gives us the right to use their footage for demo and promotional purposes..Again if the client whines, I won't use the footage..I had a groom who was an undercover cop so he specifically asks not to put footage online which is fair enough.

Putting the clause in your contract makes thing easier than trying to get hold of brides to ask permission everytime and most are happy with the condition!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques