Will the new Sony work as a run 'n wedding camera? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 27th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Re: Will the new Sony work as a run 'n wedding camera?

Chris,
I thought you'd appreciate that! ;-) I shot ASA100 (Kodacolor) in both 35mm and 6X7, the 6X7 was 220 film giving me a whopping 20 images per roll, thats why I carried 20 rolls in my bag. A couple of film backs and heaven forbid, don't lose the dark slide! Oh yeah and carry a changing bag at ALL times.
Gotta be honest, I'm looking at both but right now, I'm thinking the AC-90 is leading by a nose. I like the idea of the clean image at a higher gain and Tims pictures gave it the edge. Plus unless I'm missing something the NEX-EA50 doesn't look like it has ND at all. Am I missing them? I've seen some footage I found on You-Tube of the 90 and it seems like it holds up quite well. I'm going to have to make a decision soon after I come back from vaca at the end of Jan. Time will tell.
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #62
Major Player

Well Chris this little 90 has made a believer out of me. I have put one of my FX's up for sale. I hope it works out. If it does, it's going to simplify my work at weddings I think, which is what I'm looking for. I've been trying to use the GH2 but have missed to many shots because of wrong lens on the camera. I will still use the GH2 but I will have the 90 within reach at all times.

I'm not crazy about mixing HDV and AVCHD but I've been doing it with the GH2 and the FX's and it's been working out ok in Vegas. Once I know for sure the 90 is doing it's job well I will get a second or hopefully the AG-AC90's big brother by that time with a longer reach and 1/3 sensor's.

Tim
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Hi Don and Tim

Nope the EA50 doesn't have ND's so I guess it must do auto exposure using just shutter and iris?? The 90 on the other hand uses internal ND's which work seamlessly with the iris (even in manual) and for a solo shooter like me that is a huge advantage. I have been told that in very bright conditions the 90 would benefit having an external ND on the front so maybe for stuff like beach weddings it's worth having. I sincerely think that because the EA50 is almost twice the price as the 90 (before you start having to buy extra lenses) it's not in the race at all for me. I would rather spend $4K on TWO 90's and pop them on a rig and put a loupe on the LCD and I would have a much better outfit with two cameras instead of one.

Tim, before you even think about the Panny's big brother, seriously talk to me and I'll tell you all the issues I had with the 130's ...the chips advantage alone, I felt just wasn't worth paying double the price and I still needed to use a light at weddings...the 130/160 also doesn't have the NR that the 90 has so although it's a more sensitive camera (in practice not really that much) you do get noise once gain is applied.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #64
Major Player

Ok thanks Chris. I guess my statement was a little confusing. I'm being optimistic in thinking Panasonic will come out with a new camera based on the 90.
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #65
Space Hipster

The JVC HM7XX class, not to mention the old HD2XX series, are not the best in low light, that's for sure.
However, you should check out the new HM600. It's exceptional in low light, and it's about $4,500, which is a really good price. It's rated at F11 (almost an F12) at 2000lux. In Europe, it's at F12 (something to do with the 25P). That's on par with 2/3" chip cameras.

I used to own a Canon XF305, and if the JVC has that much of an advantage in low light, it should be a very good camera for event videography.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #66
Inner Circle

Hi Glen

A glaring omission of the JVC was the lack of 1080 50/60P so no decent slomo for wedding shots on Stedicam for me...otherwise it's not bad at all. Still compared against the "half the price" AC-90 which does have 1080 50/60P I would have thought they would have at least done some market research???

Chris
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #67
Inner Circle

Glen,
I know they're not up there with some of the newer cams but for my corp work either would be just fine. For the wedding business, I'd need 2 to 3 cameras so frankly the $2000 price of the AC90 is very inticing.
Like I say right now I don't have to decide so I'm biding my time.
Old December 7th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #68
Inner Circle

The first poor review here - terrible lens controls and poor resolution

HD Magazine - HD Mag - REVIEW - Panasonic AG-AC90 Camcorder

Any comments on this guy's view of the AC-90?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #69
Inner Circle

I don't get it, he says that the resolution is poor while Barry Green states it's the sharpest camera he has tested for quite a while which was because the camera had full-resolution 1080p sensors? What's up with that? he was probably so dumb to film in dv mode.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #70
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

That's total rubbish unless he was in a pitch black room at midnight...!! I would totally ignore that review..All the other footage proves him wrong. It's still the best bang for buck on the market!!

I see Barry also responded on DVX and he's writing the book too!!! Absolute nonsense!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing how Tim's wedding turns out, especially the reception!! Tim?? are you going to use any specific scene files for the wedding ..let us know the parameters if they turn out well please?

Noa?? Global Media still have the 90 as "coming" but not yet in stock ..are they available in your part of the world yet?

Chris
Old December 8th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #71
Inner Circle

no, you can only pre-order here but they are not available yet.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #72
Major Player

Chris I plan on shooting flat but I'm sure I will try some of the profiles I have set up just so I will know how they look. I like to crush the blacks a little bit.

Tim

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques