No more video cameras? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 19th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: No more video cameras?

Already there, shooting 60p...albeit at 1080, but whether it's a video cam with it's specific properties, an SLR/SLT that shoots video, or a NEX with APS-C sensor shooting video...

They are tools, some do one thing better than another, or have specific properties that add (or subtract) from the image, and the effective usability under pressure.

Like the old saying goes, to the person with a hammer, everything looks like a nail... I prefer to have a toolkit handy, and hopefully know how to use it well. Any "new toy" will be cool for a while and overused, that's the nature of "toys", even in big "Hollywood" productions ofttimes.

The ONLY question you should be able to answer at the end of the day is did you capture the memories, the special moments, the laughs, the tears, and the essence so that the bride and groom and family can re-live the day.

Artsy-fartsy only takes you so far... sure it's "wow" the first time, but after a while "wow" tends to turn to "oh, seen it". But not if the total product connects to the audience - THAT should never get old... Some things are timeless, classic, and never go out of style...

At least with wedding video, the "audience" has a strong connection with the "subject", so you shouldn't be able to screw it up TOO badly...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Chip

You forgot to mention that we will STILL be sending out media on SD DVD cos let's face it every wedding has grandparents and they are highly unlikely to upgrade in their 80's to a fancy new 4K player and TV !!

Gosh, I have yet to see even a BD player in bride's living rooms ...they have a new $500K home, a late model 4x4 in the garage and nowdays anything up to a 70" TV ...and under the TV?? Their $29.95 DVD player!

Cool at the moment it's shoot in HD supply in SD ...in the future it will be shoot in 4K or higher and guess what the bride will want??? A DVD!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post
we will see the convergence of DSLR and Camcorder into a 4K or higher capture device.
My clients have barely discovered full hd and I doubt they will ever see the difference between 1080p and 4k, most DSLR's are barely touching HD in terms of resolution, yet many clients prefer the look. I think resolution is the least important factor, unless you are still filming 4:3 SD.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I never leave home without my Canon XF300 and my 2 Canon T3i DSLRs...I never know what the wild world of wedding videography will bring!! If I have a second shooter with me on the day of the wedding, I will get him set up with a slider and let him get me some beauty shots...I will take care of the "boring" parts with the Canon XF300 which I love a lot! If I'm the only shooter then I will do some DSLR work during the prep and the park and some at the reception but the rest will be my canon XF300. or maybe both!! Choices are wonderful..
I'm a happy video/dslr grapher or whatever...me English no good..
E
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #20
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
I will only comment to say you guys are so cute in here arguing about all of this. Instead, just go out and put all of your beliefs to work and make some money. Who cares whether you are right or not, if you can sell it, do it.
That is all.
Bill
We do. Well, I do. But forums aren't for NOT discussing thoughts and ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I love these posts...since there is still a bitter rivalry between DSLR people and videocamera people it makes for amusing reading and more often the poster is so rigously defending his choice of tool thet forget that it's the bride's wedding and seriously does she really care if you are using a brand new Canon 5DIII with all the rig trimmings and a classy matt box ...or a KongWong Super Video Camera from eBay (now on special for $199 and we give you a free tripod and lens cleaning cloth)

Cover the wedding stay in focus and make her look pretty and it doesn't really matter what you use...!

However keep up the posting ..love the battle between the factions BUT what will happen when cams like the NEXEA50 starts getting used? It's half video and half DSLR ...Will those guys be on the fence?

Chris
Honestly, I feel so good about DSLRs and I think most DSLR users do too because you never, ever, really see any original posters speaking on the ills of more traditional video cameras. It's always some old school head who is clearly in conflict. I'm actually hesitant to try and convert them cause it just creates more competition in this medium.

In regards to the NEX EA50, I can't imagine anyone being that faithful to DSLRs that they wouldn't use whatever is the best tool for them and can afford it.
Andrew Giordano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:

Cover the wedding stay in focus and make her look pretty and it doesn't really matter what you use...!
Spot on Chris
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #22
Major Player

The new sony looks HUGE. I can't imagine carrying something that large around all day. I complain about my mkIII and 24-105... I've become weak... also, I like not looking like a "videooghrapher"
Bill
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
.. also, I like not looking like a "videooghrapher"
Bill
You should see the amount of people who think I am the photographer and I use a AF100.
To the OP, DSLR's are pretty much here to stay. I don't believe we'll see anything revolutionary from them for some time till they implement 4K in camera. The camera companies will push hard to get people to switch and that will take some more time. We're only in the 1st generation of prosumer large sensor camcorders. All of them have pretty sad limitations, but you make do with what you have if you were an early adopter.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Chip

...in the future it will be shoot in 4K or higher and guess what the bride will want??? A DVD!!

Chris
Nahhhhh...... by then it'll be holograms and we'll be old enough that we won't care anymore. But we will be able to jump on here from time to time and start one of the "Which editing suite makes the most lifelike hologram, Vegas, Premiere or Final Cut?" arguments and then sit back while we watch the fur fly !!! :-) :-) :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques