Educate me on mics! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 30th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Educate me on mics!

I've just ordered a Tascam DR-05. Slightly bulkier than Zoom H1 but I prefer the more solid build I hear people mention in reviews. Got it for a good price too!

Now I need a lavalier mic for it. I've heard that Giant Squid offer the best quality by far on a budget. Unfortunately their customer service is basically non-existent and theres somewhat of a waiting list since they are made to order.

Before I put my money on Giant Squid or anything else, i want to make sure I understand what I'm getting, or should be getting.

What with the powered/non-powered thing? If i have a Tascam DR-05 do i need a mic with power supply like a battery?

And mono/stereo? Can I only record mono on the Tascam DR-05?

Can anyone recommend budget lavaliere mic?

Thanks
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Educate me on mics!

I have a Tascam DR-05 and frankly I wish I would have gotten it way before.
I have 2 mics for it, 1 is a pwoered mic (I made a mistake when ordering it but it has a very very long cable, 15 feet at least) the other is an Azden503. Both were cheap, both sound about the same. Since the unit isn't my primary source of audio I can get away with lesser sounding audio on it but I will say, it has saved my bacon on a few occassions this year.
No you don't need a powered mic and yes you can record 1 channel or 2. Frankly most time I record to 1 (no real reason it just goes that way) and with that on a 2gig card I'm good for about the whole day if I need to be.
I've used it with a Shure SM63, an AT897, the Azden lav (about $25.00 at B&H).
Again for me, it's a backup and emergency source only but when I've needed it it's worked quite well and I am happy with my purchase and use of it.
Old November 30th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Major Player

I have a pair of these and they blow the doors off of my cheapie AudioTechnica ones, or whatever they are called. It says he is swamped under with orders and I see the never ending sales, ended. So I will take that as he is being truthful and has plenty of orders to keep himself busy. Plenty of orders for a one man shop means he's doing something right!

Omnidirectional Mono Microphone
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Major Player

MM Series Matchstick Matchstick Lapel Style Microphone

I use a couple of these with my H1s. I also have the Giant Squid. The sound is similar but the Giant squid's clip looks like a roach clip and it's very difficult to hide. These end up looking more professional and they have a better sound to me than the Azden 503 which I tried as well.
Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques