Tentative step into DSLR filming - some advice please? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 10th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Tentative step into DSLR filming - some advice please?

It's funny how the only people who don't seem to reckon that the advantages of the 5D3 are worth it are those who don't own one. Every 5D2 owner that I know who has upgraded to a 5D3 agrees with me that the 5D3 is worth every extra penny. The 2+ extra stops of low light performance alone justify it for me as it means that you can stop down in low light maintaining a reasonable DoF rather than having to struggle keeping it in focus at F/1.4. The price here in the UK from Canon dealers just dropped to £2399 for body only while we paid £2999 for ours back in March. It's available as a grey import for just £1895 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body All prices include 20% VAT (sales tax)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
The 2+ extra stops of low light performance alone justify it
And don't forget about the moire and aliasing issue the mark III hardly suffers from, no moire is in my opinion a big improvement over any lower end canon dslr, Many also say that it's ok and you can work around it but I don't find it ok but have to work around it :) Moire can ruin your image considerably, I only wish the mark III could do 50P.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #18
Inner Circle

You're talking me into it Nigel - I can Ebay one of my MkI bodies to help fund it :)

Have you bought from HDEW Cameras before? It used to be that grey imports had no warranty (or so I perceived) but HDEW are including 3 years so it all sounds good

Anyway I'm going to order it - It's going to be a sizable shift in technique for me but I've a couple of all day weddings coming up so will be able to practice in the 'lull' moments.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Well I've just ordered that - happy Xmas to me!!!

Nigel can you recommend a viewfinder - Peter pointed me to the VF-3 which looks like it'll do the trick but I can't seem to find a UK supplier.

Pete
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #20
Inner Circle

I bought my first 5D2 from HDEW nearly four years ago. Unlike other companies that purport to be in the UK but actually ship from overseas they are a UK based operation who even have an office in Surrey where you can I believe collect from. Check the About US on their website. I had no problems registering my camera with Canon for CPN. I don't know what small print there might be on a 3 year warranty from HDEW so it would be a nice to have rather than something to rely on.
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I have been using my 5D3s without a loupe as the only one that I know fits well is the Zacuto & that costs about 10x the cost of the cheap'n'cheerful £30 plastic job that I have been using on the 5D2 that unfortunately will not fit the 5D3 because of the larger screen & smaller surround.
Old December 10th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #22
Major Player

Peter, my VF-3 shipped from abroad but it took well under a week to turn up.

I think Zacuto have or will have a 5DIII convertor available so that you can use their viewfinder with the III.

But really the only advantage of the Z compared to the VF-3, and at the same time its biggest failing, is that it clips to the screen and is therefore easily dislodged (unless you also buy the extra paraphernalia at Z's prices. This makes it easy to switch to shooting stills but is a real pain otherwise. I have mine on a lanyard so as not to accidentally drop it.

The VF-3 is altogether more like a tank but you cannot quickly take the whole thing off. It does of course aid stability because it is an extra point of contact with your body when hand held to the eye - so its good with the short monopod and 701 head that I mentioned earlier.

Battery grips add another layer of complexity. I have them because I struggled at first with the 5 Series compared with my 1 Series bodies which of course have grips built in. The VF-3 works best without a grip in my case because I also like to have Manfrotto quick release plates on everything and these with a grip add too much height for the adjustable VF-3 to cope with.

BTW the Manfrotto 577 quick release sliding plate assemblies are interchangeable with the Calumet version, the latter being cheaper and in my view better because the quick tightening levers can be pulled out and spun to the ideal position.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
BTW the Manfrotto 577 quick release sliding plate assemblies are interchangeable with the Calumet version, the latter being cheaper and in my view better because the quick tightening levers can be pulled out and spun to the ideal position.
Just like the Manfrotto QR plates then:-).
Old December 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #24
Inner Circle

A couple more loupes that I haven't actually used but are supposed to fit the 5D3. There is apparently a new LCDVF from Kinotehnik which not only fits the 5D3 but also has a dioptre adjustment if you need lens correction for your eye sight. The previous LCDVF model that did not have a dioptre adjustment are exceedingly well made with superb optics but unusable by me with or without glasses or contact lenses because of the lack of dioptre adjustment. There is a copy of the Zacuto VF called the Seagull at a greatly reduced price that can use the same attachments as the genuine Z-finder i.e. gorilla plate & frame or adhesive frame.
Old December 11th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Thanks for your advice guys - the MkIII and VF-3 are on their way - just a quick questions about focus while flying - I normally use my Sony HVF-A1E on my Merlin and let the autofocus do it's work, but I'm guessing with the 5D I'll have to make sure I have a good DOF and maintain a consistent distance from my subject?

Pete
Old December 11th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #26
Inner Circle

yes, that's the secret and make sure the lens is not wide open, unless shallow dof is what you are trying to achieve but then maintaining focus will be very tricky.
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #27
Inner Circle

I currently use Duracell 600X 32GB CF cards for my Datavideo DN-60 Data recorder without any issues - think these will be ok for the 5D?
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I don't think they will fit, the 5D uses larger cf cards while the dn60 uses these small sdhc cards I think.
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Hi Noa - no the DN-60 uses the large Compact Flash cards - I'm just wondering if the 600X will be fast enough - I don't see why not
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #30
Inner Circle

ah ok, didn't know that, for my t2i I know I need at least class 10 and 30mb/s cards, but I prefer minimum 45mb/s cards as with the 30 mb/s cards I get an occasional buffer sign. I also only use Sandisc cards.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques