Blue cast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 18th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Blue cast

Hi Pros, just shot a wedding ceremony, cam was behind stage , B&G was facing into all windows. Cam picked up great footage but a blue cast on brides gown and vail. Will some kind of filter help, if so what kind of filter
Thanks
Mike
Michael J. Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Long
Hi Pros, just shot a wedding ceremony, cam was behind stage , B&G was facing into all windows. Cam picked up great footage but a blue cast on brides gown and vail. Will some kind of filter help, if so what kind of filter
Thanks
Mike
Which editor are you using??

Cheers
Old September 20th, 2005, 03:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Pinnacle Studio 9 plus
Michael J. Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Pinnacle Studio 9 plus
I am not up to speed on Pinnacle but gut feel tells me you are going to be a bit strapped here.

Most of us use more professional type NLE's, Vegas, FCP, Premiere and the like, which allows us to do color correction with a host of options available.

Maybe someone more familiar with Pinnacle can help this gent!

On the camera side, you should white-balance the cams before your shot which will remove blue cast in most cases saving you a whack in post.

Cheers
Old September 20th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Pinnacle 9 has a very simple color correcting tool in the video tool box. Apply it, and try fiddling with the sliders. You may be able to desaturate the video a little to make the hue a little less noticeable. They also have a 'tint' effect that must be registered before use, that you can use to apply a color of the opposite spectrum to remove the unwanted tint. It is a little tricky, and you do not have control over the affected color range beyond white and black, but in your instance, white is what you are looking for. It will be difficult, if not impossible to remove all together within your NLE, but you should be able to make it a little easier on the eyes.

I also used Pinnacle when I first started editing, Studio 6, then I made the switch to Premiere 6, and last year to Vegas 5, and I must say I have not looked back since Vegas. When the budget allows, spend the money on it, you will not be disappointed.

I only recently got into color corrections, but in the last few weeks, I have progressed leaps and bounds with a little help from the folks here, and some reading material, and I can now get footage from my GL2 and VX2100 looking damn near perfect between cuts. The abilities of the color correction tools in Vegas are awesome. I have only discovered the tip of the iceberg and can achieve excellent results.
Chris Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 02:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks
Mike
Mike,

Don't know how to fix your video in post but here are some suggestions for your future shootting.....Always do a manual white and black balance. Make sure you determine what is the predominant light on your subjects; (3200 indoor, 4600 flourescent, ? sodium, 5600 outdoor, 7600 outside in shadow,
blah, blah ,blah.... As long as you white balance every time you shoot in a different lighting situation, your color temperature should be fine.

But you must remember to WHITE BALANCE....

Take care,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 03:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks To All
Michael J. Long is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques