New Highlight Clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 18th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Major Player

New Highlight Clip

This Highlight clip consists of some of the footage we used when producing the training DVD "The Art of Moving Camera Techniques". All of the moving shots we done handheld. No Glidecam on this one.

We used the audio in a little different way this time. We used the Bride's personal vows at the end of the Highlight. We go back to one shot of her as she is saying the vows. Let me know if you think this works.

Here's the link.
http://tulsaweddingvideos.com/video/EDHighlight.wmv

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions, Inc.
www.TulsaWeddingFilms.com
Mark Von Lanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Mark,

I would say the progression works. The editing was very tight and smooth. I did notice the faster cuts from about 1:20 to 1:27. I think the pacing of the cuts changes too dramatically, and it distracts the viewer, taking them out of the moment. All of the sudden I thought, "woah what is happening?" the editing stood out...

The camera work and overall look and feel was excellent. I recognized alot of the shots from the moving camera DVD, and it was interesting to see them cut together in a new way.

Thanks for sharing!
Old September 18th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #3
Major Player

one more thing

Mark,

Was also wondering what music was used? I've heard Glen use the same song. It works nicely.

Thank You
Old September 18th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for sharing that clip Mark. I love the movement you capture and the art that you create from it. You have a good eye.

Overall, what stood out to me more than the movement was the lighting. You really made use of your lighting and it showed. Several shots stood out in my mind for their excellent exposure and picture quality, and it was because of the lighting that you had and utilized. That was nice to watch.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Unbelievable! I just finished a highlight clip from a wedding I'm editing now, and before watching your clip here, I thought I did a good job...

Although I agree with Matt about the cuts at 1:20, the rest of it was incredible. I like the way you integrated cuts as well as crossfades. I don't personally like to use fades throughout an entire video. I also love the "crane" shots using your monopod (or steadie-pod), and the tiny clip of you behind the stair rails while they are dancing was really nice.

I have a question about camera placement. It didn't look like you had a camera up front at all. Do you not shoot the processional from the front of the church? I love how you shot the bride from the rear, then showed the groom, then the low shot of the bride again (I remember that technique from your Moving Camera video). Is that the same position you shoot the entire processional from? Also, do you use the two balcony cams for the 'steady-eddie' shots, while the floor cam gets the creative sweeps and reveals? And why two cams on the balcony? One wide and one tight?

I still watch your Moving Camera video often, and my moving shots continue to improve. Now I just need to buy a monopod and fisheye!

Thanks so much for sharing your work... it's very inspiring!

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your comments, especially on the fast dissolves. We may change that. The music was from Castaway.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your kind words. I feel that lighting and audio are the two most overlooked elements in wedding videography.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your kind words and comments on the fast cuts during the Groom's vows.

Trisha did the shot through the rails while I was on the 1st level and our daughter had the wide high shot.

I usually shoot up front but this church does not allow photography or video beyond the back few pews and then only during the processional and recessional. Once the processional was over I went to the balcony. I shot tight shots while Trisha shot the wider shots. We also had a 3rd camera in the balcony that was locked down during the processional and then I used it with a fish eye to get some beauty shots.

I'm glad your moving shots continue to improve as you watch the Moving Camera Techniques DVD and yes, spend the $180 for the fish eye and monopod with legs. Those two pieces of equipment will drastically change your productions.
Old September 18th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #7
Major Player

Mark,

Great work as always, but the ending seemed a bit abrupt to me. Another few seconds of music or something would have made it work better, IMHO.
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #8
Major Player

great piece Mark.

I especially love the editing of the dance - marvelous.

Once they have Paypal here, I'll be the first to get your DVDs.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Liked it. It makes me think of all the creative freedom I would have with a third camera.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #10
Major Player

this looks great!

the multiple dissolves between 1:20 and 1:27 were a bit jarring to me, not mainly because of the speed of the cuts, but because the eyeline of the couple kept bouncing up and down with each dissolve. also, i felt like the ceremony was shot pretty squarely, but i suspect that is because the church rules left you at the balcony and the rear... i hate when that happens. also, when watching the ceremony footage, i feel like i am wanting more closeups of the b&g. and in shots like the kiss (1:19) and the last vow shot (3:24), i feel like you are framing for the officiant, and not the b&g... i would have chopped him off by either panning down or zooming in to put the b&g at eyeline... then again, it's a personal preference.

i love the slow motion monopod shots in the reception! so smooth!
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Bob,
As the music fades the sound of the ocean waves becomes louder, so I think I'll smooth out the audio fade down. Thanks for the comments.

Hi Jason,
Thanks for your kind words. Their first dance allowed for a lot of creativity. Maybe I'll post their First Dance here sometime. By the way, we do accept credit cards.

Hi Craig,
Try renting or borrowing a 3rd camera for your next wedding. It really is fun.

Hi A.J.
Thanks for the comment on the eye line. Maybe that's why it has bothered me. You are right, we were limited to the back. I love getting those close-ups and I agree, that's one of the things this video is lacking in.
I did frame for the officiant as well as the B&G. One problem was that I was zoomed in all of the way, so I chose not to frame down and cut off the officiants head. Thanks for the comments.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques