What lighting do you use ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 19th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: What lighting do you use ?

We bring 3 of these to the wedding. They work great for everything. No they won't light up like a Arri 650 but that light is too big and hot.

VL312LED High Power Bi-Color LED Dimmable Video Light Kit | L.A. Color Online

Two of these on speaker and one on the B&G is all you need. During dancing we put two by the band/dj and my assistant holds the third if I need it to film dancing on the darker parts of the floor. They are light and two batteries on each light will last you the entire wedding. We bring 8 batteries thou.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 05:32 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
We bring 3 of these to the wedding. They work great for everything. No they won't light up like a Arri 650 but that light is too big and hot.

VL312LED High Power Bi-Color LED Dimmable Video Light Kit | L.A. Color Online

Two of these on speaker and one on the B&G is all you need. During dancing we put two by the band/dj and my assistant holds the third if I need it to film dancing on the darker parts of the floor. They are light and two batteries on each light will last you the entire wedding. We bring 8 batteries thou.
Kelly, do you take advantage of the Daylight/Tungsten switching? As I understand it there are 160 daylight LEDs & 160 tungsten ones so to have full power you have a mix & if you want pure daylight you only have half power. There are 312LED lights that are daylight only & I wondered if the Bi-Color thing might not be as useful as it appears at first sight.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Nigel I have 2 of the Wallimex versions of these, and being able to tweak the colour temperature Is great - for a hotel wedding I usually have one on my camera when filming the bride walking from her room to the ceremony room as she usually passes through many different lighting scenarios that it really helps to turn it on for a little warming or cooling light.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:09 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi All,

I have been booked for my first wedding at Tatton Park and really worried about lighting. The bride has pointed out that she understands I don't bring any additional lights however feels that the I really need some. She will do her best by using as many candles as possible. I am now thinking that I need to address this issue as I don't want to arrive there and up shooting at 1.4 all night.

I also don't want those shadows. Any ideas for a good setup. Thank you.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:34 AM   #20
Tourist

We use 2 Comer 1800's on c-stands, both high to avoid major flares. This works for the first dance / party dancing (one key, one back), and for the speeches (one on BG, one on speaker). Dimmable, have barn doors, can be warm or cold to match the reception, run on batteries, run cold - perfect. Downside - price. With the c-stand, sandbag, light, and battery, each of these is a ~$550 light and stand.

It also helps that we shoot GH2's with Voigtlander lenses, so for us the lighting is for artistic value, not out of necessity.
Andrew Schear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:14 AM   #21
Major Player

Ultimately whose responsibility is it to light the venue correctly, videographer, bride, stage decor?

When a client asks you the following;

If for some reason you feel you require better lighting, do you carry any with you in order to ensure it doesn't impact on the quality of filming?

Sometimes I find it hard to answer, I feel that bringing any type of additional lighting carries to much of a risk, all it takes is one child to push it over and it could cause serious harm.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:53 AM   #22
Trustee

Tariq just keep some LED lights with you to use on the hotshoe. Or buy a stand. Any lighting is better than no lighting, especially if your concerned with safety or the stress of setting up mains powered lights.

To be honest were in 2013 now, I think everything should be portable / run off batteries and no videographer should need to run mains powered lighting.

But to answer your question you either offer additional lighting as part of your package or you don't to be fair, it's your decision. You can simply state you film as is, and it's the responsibility of the person decorating your stage to provide additional lighting.

My friend he does Asian weddings and says its so inconveniant having to get to the venue with either the brides or grooms party (depending on who's hired him) and then having to film straight away with out being acquainted with the venue. I understand a majority of asian weddings are like this due to arranged marriages etc. So it's obviously a nightmare to quickly set up mains powered lights if needed.

So I would recommend what I said. LED lights on stands & sandbags to keep it heavy OR just have one on the hotshoe of your camera.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:54 AM   #23
Major Player

I've got 4 Comer-1800 second generation which is the latest for sale if anyone in the united states wants to get these awesome lights for weddings.

I have 8 of them and want to downsize. They are all in great condition and come with acc. and bag. I will ship to the US only.

$200 each shipped.

@ Tariq, I have had these brides come my way and the best thing you can do is bring two lights like the Comer-1800 or the 312 LED, two light stands and the hot shoe adapters and slowly dim them up until you have enough light and maybe take a shot without the light and with and show the bride how her wedding video will look with them on or off.

Next time explain to every bride that you meet that if the conditions are going to be dark we must have "a couple small lights to enhance the video or it will be very grainy and dark and you might be angry with us when you see your video. We only turn them on at certain times of the day and they are not overly bright, they are raised up above your eye level and they are this big around (i show a tennis ball size)"

The idea is to make them feel comfortable and good about having light because it's a part of the production and it will make them look better. Use Hollywood and how they use light to create a mood and make the picture pop!!
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques