stedicam poll.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 3rd, 2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

stedicam poll..

Hello. Happy resting sunday to all.

I want to improve on my flying footage and have a little poll to see if we can learn some from others who had more time and experience with testing and getting happy results with flying shots. I'm more interested in how do deal with low light situation since bright outdoors gets easier with wider DOF..

1- what is your favorite steadicam and why?
2-what is your favorite cam to fly and why?
3- what is your favorite lens for flying? (crop & full)
4- what is your favorite f-top and why?
5- what is the lowest f-stop you go in dark situations and why?
6- do you use on cam light when flying?
7- do you switch lenses during a shoot day and rebalance?
8- if you do solo weddings how and when do you switch from steady to other?

well...i hope this is a fun thing to have and compare with everyone's style. I see some companies that have 3 0 4 people working on a wedding and that's and advantage that solo or duet teams can't compete with...hehehe. but its fun to try.

thanks
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: stedicam poll..

i know i misspelled steady cam..but that's no reaoson to not play....hehehe....tired from sat shooting...

i think people say....bump
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

1) Glidecam HD2000. It's light, so I can use it handheld, yet heavy enough to prevent swaying like I had with the smaller FLycam nanos.
2) Canon 60d because of the swivel screen.
3) Favorite lens is a Canon 17-55mm to fly with. That way I can change focal lengths on the fly to get a different look when flying.
4) Usually 4-5.6 It all depends on which focal length I'm using at the time. The wider end can get away with 2.8 while the shorter end (55mm) needs to stop down to about 5.6 in order to get what your capturing is in focus.
5) 2.8
6) No light on camera EVER!!!! always on a lights stand on the side
7) Nope. 17-55mm is all i need
8) I have 4 dslrs to shoot with. 1 is ALWAYS on my glidecam. That way I don't need to take it off ever really.
Here's an example:
Kelly Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks Kelly for your input....nice to hear and see your test.

I use Merlin, t3i, 18-55,, but struggle with lowlight...trying not to crank up iso...lens is 3.5-4.5 i think..i use an on cam light..but it creates a white light spot i don't like....I was thinking on getting a new lens..read about the 14mm rectilinear..but wuao..$2100..a lot of cash....wish i could..what i like is to get a FF lens because i also hace a FF cam and do Photography as well and wish to have a more future proof option in case we move more towards FF in near future.

but yes..trying to get better shots...thought to upgrade lens..but maybe is more about getting lights..hehehe..

thanks a lot for writing.
Old February 6th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have a Steadicam Pilot but rarely get a chance to use it as there is simply no time in the usual rough & tumble of shooting a wedding. I do however have a 5D2 permanently mounted on a Glidecam HD2000. I generally use the 16-35mm F/2.8L lens. Used at 16mm even at F/2.8 the hyperfocal distance is about 10 feet with everything from 5 feet to infinity in focus. I also occasionally use the Samyang (also branded Bower or Rokinon) 14mm F/2.8 manual lens. It's rectilinear & so wide that pretty much everything is in focus whatever the aperture. I definitely don't use a light on the camera as it would make it more difficult to balance & gives people that "rabbit startled in the headlamps" look. Using a maximum of ISO3200 & F/2.8 I can shoot in really dark venues.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Nigel. very very helpful..I did not look at Samyang 14mm...glad you brought my attention to it...

do you use the canon 16-35 more than the sampan 14mm? why?

I'm thinking really hard witch way to go...don't own a L glass so far and wonder if I should save for a best quality and future proof lens or keep buying the more inexpensive alternative...

I have a new choice now...will consider...thanks
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Buy a GH2 camera for $499, a 12mm F/2.0 lens for $799, and you'd be set for $1299 and you'd be set for your steadicam rig. Rarely would you need lights.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmany Tellez View Post
do you use the canon 16-35 more than the sampan 14mm? why?
Generally I use the 16-35mm as it gives me more flexibility. I will switch between flying the Glidecam & just handholding it & use the zoom to alter the field of view. The Samyang 14mm is a good sharp lens & of course much cheaper than the 16-35mm but it is really wide wide wide wide.
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Buy a GH2 camera for $499, a 12mm F/2.0 lens for $799, and you'd be set for $1299 and you'd be set for your steadicam rig. Rarely would you need lights.
Jeff, thanks, you have given me an idea. I have never really got on with the ergonomics of the GH2 as it is so tiny & I have big hands. I was considering selling it before the new price drops here in the UK but I guess I could use it as a dedicated camera on my Glidecam. I own the Panasonic 7-14mm lens which is fantastic even if it only has a maximum aperture of F/4.
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #10
Trustee

Gopro on a Steadicam Smoothee. Don't knock it until you've actually tried it!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Nigel, glad I could spark an idea. If you were thinking of getting rid of it anyhow, maybe sell the 7-14, buy the 12mm. Nigel, I gotta tell you that lens take the most beautiful photos in the right light and the video from it is soooo nice.

Anyway, the 7-14 is a phenomenal lens, would love to have one, but for wedding work I personally just am not happy with any lens F/2.0 or less, it's just a kink in my thinking I cannot work out.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Gopro on a Steadicam Smoothee. Don't knock it until you've actually tried it!

hey Warren ....can you elaborate a bit more? witch hero you use? what settings? how you deal with autofocus and auto exposure? other stuff?????

i love to find any little excuse to get a new toy..and this is a toy i would love to have...but i already have a merlin and want to expend my cash very smart because i don't have a lot to spare...jejeje..expensive toys...

thanks..

jeff,,,i already own 3 canon DSLR..can't see why i should buy a new model...if i do..i see it being FF..its the GH2 better in low light? will go over that option too...thanks a lot.
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Regular Crew

The last few shoots I primarily used the 24mm f/1.4 on the 5D Mark III on a Glidecam HD 4000. Worked pretty well. I like primes; I'd typically shoot it at f/2.8 inside, but occasionally at f/2.0, and less occasionally at f/1.4. So I would need to change my focus while shooting, keeping a set distance from the subject, and when the distance changes, to stop and change focus again.

I also used the 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.2, 85mm f/1.2, and 135mm f/2.0 on the Glidecam. I think due to focusing and smoothness people tend to stick with wider angles for Glidecam but I've found you can get some really cool shots with longer lenses if you just keep your distance from the subject the same and are able to get it smooth enough. This way I can get some nice closeups with movement without the ugly wide angle look on the closeup.

I'd like to upgrade to a Steadicam Zephyr eventually just because since they are larger and better built for stabilization it tends to be easier to get smoother footage if you know what you're doing. Most Glidecam shots I see on the web tend to wobble unless Joe Simon is shooting it, I find, and I'm not Joe Simon.
Eric Coughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques