Are we becoming obsessed with quality? - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 21st, 2013, 11:40 AM   #106
Inner Circle

Re: Are we becoming obsessed with quality?

@Craig- these are photographers that I have have regularly worked with for years, and who happily recommend me to their own clients, so I have no reason to doubt them. It's also born out by a definite drop in the number of video companies advertising and the fact that wedding shows that I attend that used to have several, now just have me. All good for me of course :-)

@James- my documentary style weddings would be similar to Don's for editing, I usually allow 3 days for a wedding, 1 to film and 2 to edit, although I have edited in one long day.

@Frank- I would agree with Don, as the majority of my Docu style weddings would be beteen 90-120 minutes.

@Long- I have no interest in your financial arragements as it is none of mine or anyone else's business, but I would be interested to know how much time you would spend in total on one of your weddings, including customer liason, filming, editing and delivering. Also how many you would typically take on in a year and what ammoun of your total income would be from weddings. Hopefully relevant questions to your style of working.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:36 PM   #107
Inner Circle

Frank,
A doc style Full Mass Catholic wedding with all the trimming generally will be in total length between 90 and 120 minutes. Most people will watch it once full thru then after that start skipping thru chapters. I usually have about 14 to 18 chapters most of which come in the reception so everything is broken down and they can get to anywhere they want easily.
While it's not the 30 minute edit I did back in the 90s and early 2000's it seems to be what the market demanded and frankly while the money per job is less than a cinematic edit, it is far easier to market, far easier to edit and far less hard on my mental state.

Roger,
we come from the same mold or is it mouldy? lol...Anyway, yep, 2 days of actual edit time although sometimes I stretch it to 2 1/2 just so I can get off the computer earlier on a particular day and I too have done it in one loooooonnnnnng day but I vowed not to do that anymore. My eyes almost fell out of my head the last time I did that but it was a wedding of a member of the armed forces and he was leaving within the week of the wedding (hmmmm, I did the same) so I did what I had to do so that the couple would have it before he left.

Last edited by Don Bloom; March 21st, 2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: forgot to add
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 01:52 PM   #108
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
@Long- I have no interest in your financial arragements as it is none of mine or anyone else's business, but I would be interested to know how much time you would spend in total on one of your weddings, including customer liason, filming, editing and delivering. Also how many you would typically take on in a year and what ammoun of your total income would be from weddings. Hopefully relevant questions to your style of working.

Roger
Hi Roger,

I usually conduct at least 3 meetings with my couples. The 1st one to meet and connect with them, the 2nd one to sign the contract and the 3rd about a week before their wedding to go over the schedule and collect final payments. I would sometimes go out for a drink with them in between but those are unofficial meetings so I don't really count them as work hours.

I usually spend about 10-15h on the wedding day to cover the event.

Editing time, it depends what they pick in their package but a typical 15-30min short form film normally takes me around 30-40h to edit at my current speed but I can probably work faster if I push myself harder.

As we speak today, I can sign about 10-20 weddings a year and not have to worry about finance. My goal is to eventually raise my price high enough so I can bring it down to 5-10 and then either take it easy with the family or try to work on other non-wedding projects. But I've still got a lot of work to do before I get there.
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:13 PM   #109
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Frank,
A doc style Full Mass Catholic wedding with all the trimming generally will be in total length between 90 and 120 minutes. Most people will watch it once full thru then after that start skipping thru chapters. I usually have about 14 to 18 chapters most of which come in the reception so everything is broken down and they can get to anywhere they want easily.
Wow - never thought that.

I don't do weddings, except for friends and family.
Having said that, I have done 2 so far - on for my brother in law and one for my girlfriends best friend - and I have no appetite to do more of them, to be honest.

The "long" versions of them are around 20 minutes (I also did condensed 5 minutes versions of them).
And that includes dressing, make-up, hair do, registry, church and the whole party.
LOL, I must sound like a heretic to you guys. But hey, whatever floats your (and their) boat. I just never thought that there is a market for that long weeding films.

Quote:
.. it is far easier to market, far easier to edit and far less hard on my mental state.
And yeah, a 120 minute catholic ceremony would be real hard for my mental state ;-)
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:08 PM   #110
Inner Circle

@Long - thanks for the info, I find it very interesting the way that people carry out their business in totally different ways to others in the same business.

@Don - strangely, the wedding that I edited in a day was for a UK soldier and his new bride, as he was flying off on a tour of duty a few days after the wedding! I needed a few day off to recover afterwards :-) i must say that I still enjoy filming weddings and have no plans to give up any time soon unless death intervenes!

Roger
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:13 PM   #111
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Truong View Post
Hi Roger,

I usually conduct at least 3 meetings with my couples. The 1st one to meet and connect with them, the 2nd one to sign the contract and the 3rd about a week before their wedding to go over the schedule and collect final payments. I would sometimes go out for a drink with them in between but those are unofficial meetings so I don't really count them as work hours.

I usually spend about 10-15h on the wedding day to cover the event.

Editing time, it depends what they pick in their package but a typical 15-30min short form film normally takes me around 30-40h to edit at my current speed but I can probably work faster if I push myself harder.

As we speak today, I can sign about 10-20 weddings a year and not have to worry about finance. My goal is to eventually raise my price high enough so I can bring it down to 5-10 and then either take it easy with the family or try to work on other non-wedding projects. But I've still got a lot of work to do before I get there.
I would love to work like this.

Sounds like a dream job/way of income for me.

Sadly the reality for me is. An initial consultation if they live within 100miles. Emails back & forth or telephone conversations.

Arriving on the day. Doing my bit. Providing them with the film.

No multiple consultations, no drinks inbetween and not really friends with them afterwards either, I just try to leave them very happy with what they received from me.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:19 PM   #112
Inner Circle

Frank,
Not a 120 minute ceremony. I've done ethnic weddings that have lasted that long but a typical Catholic Full Mass is about an hour. the edited version including the prep, preceremony B footage, ceremony, photo shoot, reception and highlight is no more than 120 minutes.

Roger,
I used to feel that way but the last few years have been very hard on me physically and mentally and each year I said would be my last....Ha, sure. well this year is my last for the weddings but I still enjoy shooting so I went out and found some new corporate type clients and even some new AV work (fairly easy, good money) so I'm into another chapter. At 66 years old I want to spend more time doing things I really enjoy like taking more cruises and getting back to playing golf. (I should amend that to attempting to play golf. Something I love to hate) I look at it this way. When I retire from weddings, that opens up a spot for someone else! ;-)
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:57 AM   #113
Inner Circle

Don, bit off topic here, but I am also 66, having spent my life from 16 onwards until today in audio performing and production, and the last 27 years with video as well, although these days virtually all of my income is through wedding video. My wife is also a superb videographer and editor, so we can take on more than one video per day if required, or second operator. As she is also considerably younger than me, she fully intends to keep it all going even if I eventually get fed up. The way I work and the style of video, gives me the time to indulge the other things that I enjoy, such as sailplane flying, sailing and playing my music. My wife is trying to persuade me to let her do all the editing so that I can fly more, but I still enjoy the video work too much :-)

Roger
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:08 AM   #114
Inner Circle

Hi Roger

I'm 66 too so it seems like it's a good age to be doing weddings...we don't stress, we have fun and we also have plenty of time for ourselves. A good balance between work time and leisure time is critical!

I wouldn't worry about thread deviation as it went way off course way back on the first page and I'm still puzzled about whether anyone actually gave a straight answer or were they too busy preparing for another bout of fisticuffs??

Seems like us oldies have developed the right formula?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:11 AM   #115
Trustee

Quote:
Frank,
Not a 120 minute ceremony. I've done ethnic weddings that have lasted that long but a typical Catholic Full Mass is about an hour. the edited version including the prep, preceremony B footage, ceremony, photo shoot, reception and highlight is no more than 120 minutes.

Roger,
I used to feel that way but the last few years have been very hard on me physically and mentally and each year I said would be my last....Ha, sure. well this year is my last for the weddings but I still enjoy shooting so I went out and found some new corporate type clients and even some new AV work (fairly easy, good money) so I'm into another chapter. At 66 years old I want to spend more time doing things I really enjoy like taking more cruises and getting back to playing golf. (I should amend that to attempting to play golf. Something I love to hate) I look at it this way. When I retire from weddings, that opens up a spot for someone else! ;-)
Hi Don,

Actually I'm editing a Catholic Ceremony that sits at 1 hour 45 mins on my timeline from Bridal entrance to the couple leaving. I offer uncut Ceremony for Disk 2 so got to edit it all, though I'm sure the couple will prefer a cut down for the Main Video. What I did want to ask, and slightly off topic was how you're venturing into Corporate work. Something I'm looking to expand into myself, so'd appreciate any tips on how you're handling this side of your business.

Steve
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:38 AM   #116
Inner Circle

Chris and Roger...between us we seem to be qualified for the "wedding videographers old peoples home"
--all we need is 3 nurses and 3 power chairs. Hook up a steadicam arm to the chair and we're off to the races! ;-)
Seriously, we've been around the block and Chris as you know I've been saying I was going to stop doing weddings a few years ago and this year really is the year. I feel good about my decision so I'm sticking to my guns on it.

STEVE.........WOW! an hour and 45 minutes for a ceremony. I think I'd stick a fork in my eye! ;-) I'm sorry but that to me is an officiant that just likes to ramble on and hear themselves talk. Maybe I'm wrong but....
Anyway as to getting back to corporate stuff, I used to do a lot of it before. This time I simply contacted about 400 different businesses mostly small to medium size, introduced myself to them via email and a snail mail piece, sent them to my site, the usual marketing kind of thing, got enough replies to make it worthwhile, did enough face to face meetings to throw around ideas and get enough information to be able to price out a promo or webamercial and from that am getting enough business to make it work. More is coming thru in the form of legacy videos. My wife and her sister started a business doing those and are hiring me to do the work.
So a little of this, a little of that, throw in a sprinkle of the other and the business is good. Plus I still do AV work for certain AV companies in the area as well as certain hotels.
Trying not to keep all my eggs in one basket...someone knocks that basket over, you have scrambled eggs!
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:50 AM   #117
Inner Circle

Hi Steve,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your question to Don, but as I am also in the UK I thought I would add my voice even though we are a bit off topic still.

I have carried out a fair bit of corporate work over the years and still do occasionally, including Tesco, Asda, HL Foods and various other assorted companies. I spent some time sending out letters and leaflets to some of the bigger chains such as Tesco, offering my services at a local level, which yielded some results. Interestingly I have also picked up quite a lot of small corporate work just by talking to people at weddings, especially those families with members who are in business themselves.

What I have found is that once a company has used you successfully, they will come back again, often regularly. The other good area to follow up, is with PR companies, who will often be handling promotion and publicity across the board for a whole range of client businesses.

Roger
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:11 AM   #118
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I'm 66 too so it seems like it's a good age to be doing weddings...we don't stress, we have fun and we also have plenty of time for ourselves. A good balance between work time and leisure time is critical!

I wouldn't worry about thread deviation as it went way off course way back on the first page and I'm still puzzled about whether anyone actually gave a straight answer or were they too busy preparing for another bout of fisticuffs??

Seems like us oldies have developed the right formula?
Hi Chris,

The thread didn't go way off course. The answers to the initial questions have been given time and time again through the entire discussion.

The only thing is that some people have different definition of what "quality" actually means to them. For some, having a well-composed shot with good focus and capturing the essential content is enough and for some other, it is more than that.

And then comes the question about what is actually "enough" and what is "too much". All of that will be different depending on your own expectations and what your clients expect from you.

It is clear that with all the different approach we have here, all these definitions will be different because we don't value the same thing and our clients don't either.

As Roger had said it, it's quite interesting to exchange ideas and opinions because we all have a different approach to our business. Whether you have been in the industry for XX years or not, as long as you have found a formula that works for you and makes you happy, that's all that matters. But if someone is struggling and asking for help, then we are all free to chip in and provide suggestions. It is up to that person to gather all the information and decide for themselves which ones they want to keep and which one they want to ignore.

It only gets uninteresting when people start criticizing others or try to show that their way of doing things "make more sense". Sometimes, we have to understand that what's important to us can be completely meaningless to others.
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:21 AM   #119
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Truong View Post
The thread didn't go way off course. The answers to the initial questions have been given time and time again through the entire discussion.
+1 :-)

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques