Jvc gy hm100 pro hd ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 25th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #1
New Boot

Jvc gy hm100 pro hd ?

hi, i use a couple of dslrs at present (600d) and wanted to get a reaosnable camcorder for the cermony and speeches (left to record)...ive been offered the above for a very good price (and i have a load of sd cards to use with it), and reviews tend to notbe that great with regards low light...considering most registry offices and churchs arent "toooo dark" would this little cam be ok as b/c cam ? i know all about the 1/4" v 1/3" etc, and its a little old, but it seems a great camera, and still capable of good images.....
Glen Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Jvc gy hm100 pro hd ?

Anyone shed any light on my query ?

Is this camera really too old to be using ? Thank you, Glen
Glen Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Glen

You have probably answered your own question..if the price is good then at the very worst you can always dump it on eBay and make a small profit. I have mixed and matched wedding footage from Panny 1/4" chips shoulder mount cameras with my GoPro and lately I have been mixing the GoPro with both my Sony EA-50 which have DSLR sensors in them ... You might have to tweak the colour a bit but I don't see why it shouldn't work ? I used the Panny's last year in pretty dark Churches and the brides were more than happy with the result. It would, in my opinion be a nice A-Cam for Ceremony and Speeches and then use the Canon's for cutaways and creative shots so you have no time limit issues. Remember weddings are all about content so if that is good the matching is a secondary consideration

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Tourist

Hi Glen,
My only experience is with the hm150 but I assume it is similar in performance. I initially envisioned something similar to you...using the Canon DSLRs alongside the JVC. I will say that the JVC is a great product for audio recording and that is what I primarily ended up using it for. To say that the 1/4'' sensor isn't good for low light is an understatement. I was so disappointed with its' performance, even in marginally good light, that I sold my HM150 (at a painful loss) and stick solely to Canon DSLRs now. A major sticking point for me came in color grading my footage in post. The JVC was so ugly compared to the nice balance of the Canon profile and matching up was nearly impossible. That being said, I never had any brides complain about the footage, but there is a reason why all the best names in the industry right now are using DLSRs.
Brendan ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:55 AM   #5
Trustee

I own a GY HM 100, along side a Z5, few Canon Handy cams, GH1 GH2, and a few more.
I'm doing a wedding this Friday, the GY is one of the only cams staying at home.
Why?
Quite simply it has the worst low light performance of them all, and its a late afternoon wedding in an old church and a dark venue reception.
Only job it would do well would be the photo shoot, being outdoors.
Dont get me wrong, I love using this cam... but good light only.
Another issue is I have to leave it on 50 shutter, or shooting 25p I end up with interlaced footage, see here-
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...sive-mode.html
Check if its been fixed, if it has it will at least let you shoot progressive at 25 shutter.
Some food for thought.....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques