Missing videographer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 30th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Missing videographer

Two other things to consider -

YOU have the CONTENT, and presuming the clients want the video, that is one point in your favor - most people aren't going to get angry over someone refusing to turn something of value over, if they aren't being paid in full for it - the clients have a beef with their FORMER vidoegrapher... make sure to keep the focus on that.

Two, I've got no idea of how "oral contracts" are handled in Belgium, but you have an "oral agreement", and that should have some weight in light of it not being completed after you performed your part in good faith.

At least you've got "70%", presuming the clients have it and will pay that portion, if it's acceptable, you can certainly take it and make them happy, it NEVER hurts to be the guy who did the right thing (even though some say no good deed does unpunished...).

It's odd that the website went dark (have you done a whois to check the backstory on the domain, if it was a top level one?), the phone is unanswered, and there's money due... all at the same time... OTOH, it would be pretty odd for a "scam" to include "covering" an obligation - normally scammers just vanish as soon as they have the money, and cover their tracks with "fake" contact info and such. The possibility of a serious health issue seems most likely, or perhaps some severe personal difficulties...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
have you done a whois to check the backstory on the domain, if it was a top level one?
I get a page with this message "This page is generated by Parallels Plesk Panel, the leading hosting automation software. You see this page because there is no Web site at this address."

Not loosing any sleep over it right now :) I just finished editing the couples wedding and will be meeting them in 10 days to deliver so should know much more by then.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #18
Space Hipster

Interesting development.
Personally, I'd settle for the 70%. Chalk up the other 30% to a client finder's fee for the missing videographer. After all, it could lead to more clients for you.
I wouldn't bother the married couple. I'd rather they enjoy their honeymoon, without having to worry about the deal you made with the videographer. They had no part in it. All they know is they paid for a service. I'm sure they don't care how the money is split, just as long as they get the finished product.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Being ill she might have shut down her website as she might not be well enough to answer enquirers - no point advertising if you are incapacitated. Same for phone switched off, might need some space to recover. Hope this is the case. Your taking the job on was a wonderful thing to do, no doubt relieving the stress of the videographer and making the wedding a special day.
I'd take the 70% from the Bride and Groom and wait for a while for the 30%, not the Bride and Grooms concern. No Point stressing them out and as stated before, might get you some referrals.
Hope all ends well.
Phill Pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 01:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Use the Internet Archive Wayback Machine to see just how long her website has been around.
Chris DeVoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 01:54 AM   #21
Inner Circle

My guess, if she has been in the industry for a while and has suddenly gone off the radar, there may be something compelling and urgent happening, either the illness she has declared or domestic violence even may have forced her to go underground. There's no knowing. Medical or relationship issues are going to be kept confidential by service providers, so I doubt you will learn the entire story unless she advises you directly.

Whether it is a scam or not, I think you have served your industry well. Make sure the client knows and remembers you as the deliverer of their final product and instruct them that they should not pay any furthur bills that are sent to them from the original contractor.

My guess is the 30% you may have to write off as a loss-leader. It will be worth it in the long run, not to complicate the lives of the married couple, as they may yet refer other clients to you based on your good work.

Last edited by Bob Hart; March 31st, 2013 at 01:59 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:20 AM   #22
Inner Circle

We can stop guessing as she send me an email yesterday evening, no explanation what happened but she wasn't sick anymore, she was going to transfer the deposit. Her website is still off-line though.
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:45 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Hey Noa

Shucks!! There go the movie rights and the intriguing story of the videographer who disappeared off the face of the earth ...would have made rivetting watching but now we never get to see it.

However it's good to know that you are getting your 30% now!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:18 PM   #24
Trustee

Yeah, you can't leave it at that, Noa! Ask her what happened. Story needs a conclusion. (And this thread might need to be transferred to members' only section as well.)
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:08 PM   #25
Inner Circle

I"m a bit annoyed that I don't even get an apology for keeping me in the dark like that, you can be too sick and I don't need any details but just a reason, now it is like nothing happened, I responded to her last email with a another question but I don't get a response to that either. I"m dunno, if I need to take over again I will ask a copy of the contract first and a immediate transfer of any deposit to either the client or my account so I don't have to waste time anymore chasing ghosts :)
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Noa,
I would take the 70% and cut my losses. I think if you continue to pursue this person you will wind up causing harm to your own reputation.

Let it go.

AL
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:17 PM   #27
Inner Circle

She said she was going to transfer the deposit so lets wait and see.
Old April 10th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Man, I was just thinking Tom Cruise could be the star.............. but he's kind of old.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques