How to hide wiring from RED HEAD Lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Trustee

How to hide wiring from RED HEAD Lights

I have a Asian wedding function coming up where the bride has now specifically asked me to bring some stage lights - no problem!

Just one thing though ... I don't want any body tripping over the wires.

What's the best way to keep the wires stuck to the floor or hidden? I will have two red head tungsten lights pointing at the stage in each corner from light stands. Then both the wirings from the tungsten lights will go in to my extension cable, which will run to a socket.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: How to hide wiring from RED HEAD Lights

Gaffer's tape. You should always carry a roll to any shoot.
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Just get some big reels of gaffer tape or duct tape. You could use black like lots of DJs do or you can get black and yellow striped hazard tape from builders merchants.

Don't skimp on your preparation or your insurance. A decent company is Aaduki for public liability in addition to equipment for videographers and photographers. Get them to extend your policy so that it covers you for equipment in an unattended car late in the evening.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Or someone accidently knocking over a light stand while the Red Head is on.

Make sure you know where the house fire extinguishers are, check to see they're serviceable. Even call ahead to alert the house manager
as to what's going to happen.

We always take an all purpose fire unit and a large fire blanket. As well as fused power extension power blocks.

Cheers.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for the tip guys.

Gaffer tape it is then!
Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

James if you have the cheaper Chinese Red Heads, watch out for their internal wiring, some have caused trouble, check on Google.
Maybe get yours checked out if you have them .. and haven't already. HTH

Cheers.
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #7
Trustee

Hi Allan

Yep, I was a bit skeptical before I purchased mine.

They were from a UK re-seller, who has had the lamps correctly 'earthed' and he clearly states this in the auction as one of his 'unique selling points'. He's selling them in the hundreds.

He hasn't got any negative feedback yet regarding the lamps, and all seems ok.

I will let them wear in in the garden for about an hour before I take them to an event just to see if they catch fire ! LOL
Old April 4th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Good idea James. Yes the new Chinese globes do 'burn in' and actually change colour, not enough to worry about though.

And maybe buy a pair of thick leather gloves, those Chinese beauties get hot as blazes. Even then, after you power off you can't touch them for 5 minutes.
You can buy replacement Phillips and other name globes too, take a pair as backup.

Cheers.
Old April 4th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #9
Major Player

You may need to have them PAT certified. Many venues will not allow electrical equipment to be connected to their system without the stickers that show they have been tested. Maybe check with the venue, though it is a good idea to have all equipment that you plug into a main electrical power source certified as well as having suitable public liability insurance. Hot lamps can to a lot of damage if they go 'rogue'.

I once has a lampstand knocked over by someone squeezing past it during the speeches. It crashed to the floor just behind an aunt of the groom. It brought the speeches to an abrupt halt and the lady nearly jumped out of her seat. A very embarrassed me has to profusely apologise as I picked up the now dead lamp. Fortunately there was no injury of damage (except to the lamp) but that was only luck. I thought that I had positioned it in a very safe and out of the way place but never considered a creeping guest trying to sneak out of the room would brush by it. That was in the days before self-powered lamps were generally available. Fortunately a box of chocolates and a big bunch of flowers for the aunt was all that it cost me.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Good catch George. Yeah those supplied Chinese light stands look like they were made in China :(

We add those sand filled canvas bags to stablise them, but at a black tie affair that doesn't go
down to well. If you ever cop a lawsuit, it'll turn out you should have bought Lowell Red Heads.

James .. when you buy your two Phillips globes, install one globe and in a completely dark room, put both the Chinese globe
and the Phillips globe Red Heads side by side, and check the colour difference while they both shine on a wall.
Watch as they warm up, it's illuminating :) I changed both to Phillips.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques