Wedding Packages - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 16th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Wedding Packages

Hi Al

That's an interesting concept as I have always put mine from smallest to biggest and bride's will seldom (if ever) book the smallest package (Haven't had a ceremony only actually for about 2 years now) They usually go for the end ones anyway.

To expand this a little further, I list what they get covered and put the package price at the end of the package listing, so they read what they will get covered and then come to the cost.

I wonder if they look for what they get get for their money first and then see if they can afford it or is it the other way around?? I always feel that if you say " Rose Package - $1500.00" and then say what you give them for that price is less inticing than saying " you get this, and this and this ...all for only $1500"

Do others show coverage before price on each package or the other way around ?? I'm sure it makes a mental difference.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #17
Trustee

The idea behind paralysis of choice is that, the simpler you make it for the potential customer, the more likely they are to book you.

Rather than offering 3 packages with a myriad of options built in, why not offer a base package at your minimum rate you are willing to go out for regularly. Include whatever you consider essential, or that you think are great, but no one ever pays for. Go ahead and build it into your price as a value add. This may mean you raise your base price.

These leaves the customer with a simple question: should I hire this person or not. All the decisions on options can come after they sign the contract - since they may be nervous about their budget options, and not be sure what they can afford for sure.

Make hiring you as easy as possible and your closing rate should increase. Make sure you offer the emotional reasons for booking you, and your closing rate should go up, too.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #18
Major Player

I recently started to offer two packages: Long form and a cinematic package. During the meeting with the clients I spend the whole time explaining the differences, some people are still left confused.

I think I shall just up my base price and combine the two, offering discounts for leaving bits off. I find people prefer getting discounts for taking bits off rather than paying more for putting bits on even though the end result is the same.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Dan,
I think having a basic, baseline package is a must. What I would do when clients wanted to start taking stuff out of a package is tell them that they can build their own package, starting with the base package.
its up to you to have laid out in advance what each additional item will cost. Additional camera, additional location and personnel. I had a posted price for everything you can possibly add.

I keep hearing all this talk about what they want? People in Hell want ice water, doesn't mean they can get get it. And if they could it would come at a premium I'm sure. Your business like any other business has to have a structure that allows you to be profitable. And that means not catering to every whim.

Hell, I see restaurants that have no substitution policies, so do airlines and many other establishments.

One of the best things you can learn to do in business is say "NO".
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gardner View Post
Your business like any other business has to have a structure that allows you to be profitable. And that means not catering to every whim....One of the best things you can learn to do in business is say "NO".
Absolutely true. We *could* offer a one hour-ceremony only option for much cheaper, but won't (though there are always exceptions...if someone called about a Sunday in January, I'd listen), or to setup just one camera in the back and then read a paper. We set the minimum terms we'd do business on, and at what price.

I don't understand how 'cinematic' or 'documentary' style are packages. Wouldn't those just be style options? The end product is different, but to the potential client, isn't the rest the same? Just lay out your base minimum, let them decide if they like you and sign. Then, later, you show two examples, one of cinematic, one of documentary and ask which they want. In your sales meeting/material, you should spend your time pushing emotional benefits: 'we start filming early, and stay with you all day with two people and two cameras, so we don't miss a moment.'
Old April 17th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Robert,
*******I don't understand how 'cinematic' or 'documentary' style are packages. Wouldn't those just be style options? The end product is different, but to the potential client, isn't the rest the same? Just lay out your base minimum, let them decide if they like you and sign. Then, later, you show two examples, one of cinematic, one of documentary and ask which they want. In your sales meeting/material, you should spend your time pushing emotional benefits: 'we start filming early, and stay with you all day with two people and two cameras, so we don't miss a moment.' **********

For me in most cases the client that comes to me has already pre-qualified me. They called because I did a friend or family member or associates wedding. So they sort of already know what they want. So the style offering is moot. At this point it's all about what they can afford. The good thing about working off 90% referrals is that no girl wants a lesser package then her sister had.

I think that is true for many high end shooters is that money attracts money.

The other thing is we have general conversations in this forum although our geographic location makes a huge difference in every thing we do. I have heard of people saying that they had to add a meal into their contract. And guest having to pay for a drink at a reception? They would string you up for that . In New Orleans most of my clients would frown if we don't eat and drink. That said I guess our location changes our view somewhat of how we charge and deal with clients.

I was used to working 1 hour ceremonies, with a 3 hour reception immediately following the ceremony. I know in many locations the day is much longer. Lots of times we did 2 weddings in one day. I always considered the amount of time an personnel I had to use as an expense that I have to charge for. And honestly, I don't care to spend all day with a couple. Nor do I see the point.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 03:17 AM   #22
Major Player

My documentary and cinematic packages cost the same. The documentary has the complete ceremony and a one hour edit of reception. Cinematic just has a half hour highlights film.

I spend most of my time explaining how they are different and then the clients spends all their time thinking which is better for them.
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
My documentary and cinematic packages cost the same. The documentary has the complete ceremony and a one hour edit of reception. Cinematic just has a half hour highlights film.

I spend most of my time explaining how they are different and then the clients spends all their time thinking which is better for them.
Ahh. Well, if you ever want/need to bump up your closing rate, don't make them choose before booking. You can even lay it out as a favor: 'I just want you to have the time to decide which style is right for you.' Though if you do that, you need a date they have to decide by in the contract.
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Hi Dan

So do you spend the same amount of time at the wedding regardless of which style they decide on .. the only difference is the run time?? Just for interest are your edit times on either style roughly the same?

I shoot doc style only and I assumed that cinematic took a huge amount of extra time and effort and that justified the much higher prices brides paid for "wedding films'

Yeah my policy here would also be, book now, pay me some money and choose your style later as long as it's before the big day!!

Chris
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Dan

So do you spend the same amount of time at the wedding regardless of which style they decide on .. the only difference is the run time?? Just for interest are your edit times on either style roughly the same?

I shoot doc style only and I assumed that cinematic took a huge amount of extra time and effort and that justified the much higher prices brides paid for "wedding films'
From my experience the "wedding films" definitely take more time to edit.
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Hi Daniel

That's what I thought and that's why I was surprised that the doc and cinematic packages were priced equally .... Normally wedding films (as they are called) are a lot pricier than straight real-time doc recording of the day as it happens.

Chris
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #27
Major Player

Both my packages take more or less the same time to edit. The long form package still have elements of creativity in the trailers and highlights. The 'cinematic' package is like one big highlights.

The long form has about a 100 minute run-time while the cinematic has about an hour total including extended scenes.

Old April 19th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Thanks for clearing that up Dan!

I am used to people saying a wedding film takes 3 weeks to edit so I wondering how you managed to get your costing similar as a long form is usually much easier and quicker.

Nice to be able to offer clients the same price and a choice of styles!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques