Solo shooters and parking arrangments - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 29th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Solo shooters and parking arrangments

How much equipment are you loading up and transporting ? Sounds like a safari hunt to me.
I thought progress was also to be lightweight with minimal schlepping around.
I am really excited about the BM pocket camera which will allow me to shed an additional 3 lbs off my already super featherweight rig.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Arthur

My little trolley isn't that big! probably about 2' square and 3' high so it fits in the back seat of my car. My brides like the ceremony from start to finish so that's why I use a 2nd camera for cutaways while the main cam stays on a tripod in the aisle fixed on the couple and priest ..but swung over for the readings. On a standard full Catholic ceremony I wouldn't like to hand hold for 45 minutes!! I also use my GoPro high up so I have a clear "semi-aerial" shot without the photog getting in the way! I'm lugging basically two Sony EA-50 shoulder-mount cameras on the top trays and then tripod, mic and battery case in the bottom.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #18
Major Player

I would only have a 2 camera shoot when the customer pays up an additional $1000 US. I must consider not just paying for an extra cameraman, easily $600 or more for the day, but also the extra time and effort at the editing desk. After they ask for the difference in price, I feel very relieved they don't go for it as I am really not making money on that and running the risk if the 2nd cameraman should, for any real reason, not show up. It has happened in the past. I never hand hold continuously for over 25 minutes at a stretch unless I am sitting down. At the reception during the dancing, I do not capture every dance but only 3 or 4 when the couple are present, I make sure the reception does not exceed 40 minutes as I want the entire finished DVD to be between 90 to 120 minutes long. Most of my clients do not want it longer than 90 minutes total.
Regular DVD quality looks great at 90 minutes, never had complaints and I don't even mention blue ray. I like things sweet and simple, minimum equipment, affordable price, happy customers.
Old April 30th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi Arthur

I only use an assistant when the bride and groom are getting ready in different locations but at the same time...ceremonies I do on my own always ..one cam on the aisle tripod and the 2nd cam on my shoulder doing cutaways and the bridal entry and exit. I always wonder how others manage to make a profit with multiple camera people? More often than not I hardly have to touch the main footage and simply insert the B-Cam footage in the right spots on the track

Chris
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:08 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I always wonder how others manage to make a profit with multiple camera people?
Price accordingly
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:13 PM   #21
Major Player

Pricing accordingly almost always results with the jaws dropping to the floor, They always want a steak for the price of a hotdog.
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:52 PM   #22
Regular Crew

If you try to sell steak at a hotdog stand, that's sadly the reaction you will get. If you decide to open a steakhouse, stop caring about hotdog eaters and focus on attracting the right clientele.

Not an easy decision to make but you have to choose which one you want to be and be fully committed to it.
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:58 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Gannis View Post
I would only have a 2 camera shoot when the customer pays up an additional $1000 US.
Ever considered setting up a second small camera unmanned? I could not imagine doing without, it gives me much more freedom to move around getting shots from more angles, the unmanned camera is always pointed at the priest or at the lectern.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:16 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Static cameras for me - last wedding, apart from my manned camera at the front of the church I had a static in front of the font filming straight down the aisle and another up on a tall light stand at the front (near the alter) - also had a GoPro.

The only downside of this is I can miss valuable filming time as I run around gathering it all up.

Not paying someone else keeps my price down for my customers :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:13 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Hey Pete

I don't really miss any filming time as I usually gather up gear while the photog is doing family group shots.
Then I "borrow" the B&G for a stedicam shoot before going to the reception.

I think I would rather me screw up the ceremony shots than have an assistant do it for me ...With 3 cams running it has yet to happen to me and more often than not the GoPro covers my back!!

Chris
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:13 PM   #26
Major Player

Static cameras for me - last wedding, apart from my manned camera at the front of the church I had a static in front of the font filming straight down the aisle and another up on a tall light stand at the front (near the alter) - also had a GoPro.

I reckon thats the ideal setup. Also the more cams you have the less stressful it becomes; strange but true. The only variation on that setup I aim to make is to have the cams all at about adult standing eye height if practical to avoid any suggestion of surveillance style in the finished video; bit higher for the one at the rear so it can capture stuff whilst the congregation is standing up.

Yes you may miss a bit of stuff in the short breakdown time but your net result ought to have far more variety and interest value than a 1-cam merchant can achieve.

I've just got one of these squash down bags from Thinktank:

Think Tank Skin Body Bag - Waist Bags/Belt Systems

The Thinktank Skin Body Bag. It takes up no space and serves as a general holdall to chuck in loads of small stuff like handicams gopros and audio recorders when you're trying to get off site quickly. You can attach a strap to the top or loop it on your belt or attach to to your main bag etc.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hey Pete

I don't really miss any filming time as I usually gather up gear while the photog is doing family group shots.
Then I "borrow" the B&G for a stedicam shoot before going to the reception.

I think I would rather me screw up the ceremony shots than have an assistant do it for me ...With 3 cams running it has yet to happen to me and more often than not the GoPro covers my back!!

Chris
Hi Chris - I like to film immediately after the B&G leave the church (All that hand shaking/kissing/back slapping) so I leave it until I've filmed the B&G setting off for their reception to start gathering my stuff - I've only once left it too late to find my gear was locked in the church :/
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

Sorry I didn't read your post correctly and yes, that's what I do too ... Quickly turn off the aisle camera and GoPro and then follow the bride out to do the congratulations. Once that's complete the photog starts the family group shots and I can go and pickup the aisle camera, Go Pro and also the transmitters on the lecterns (also have to remember to take the transmitter off the groom so it's not in his family pics)

Chris
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Getting the mic off the groom is something i remember to do 20 minutes or so later - probably much to the distress of the tog who might need to photoshop it out!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques