Recommendations on a camera mount that will stick to a stage or smooth surface? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 12th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Recommendations on a camera mount that will stick to a stage or smooth surface?

Have an event coming up and just found out that I cannot put a tripod at the foot of the stage. My only option is to mount my camera directly on the stage on a wood mantle piece that is along the staircase to access the stage (it's a highly varnished piece, so it's smooth and non-porous). Oh, and the mount has to hold the weight of a Sony CX500V with a Bescor remote tilt/pan head attached. :)

I've looked at the Fat Gecko systems and some suction cup systems intended for vehicle use, but I'm just not sure of the stability with the camera panning.

Thoughts?
Rey Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Recommendations on a camera mount that will stick to a stage or smooth surface?

How about a hi-hat with some sandbags? Add some grip tape to the stage if the hi hat still wants to slide all over.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Recommendations on a camera mount that will stick to a stage or smooth surface?

I've had a lot of luck using the 4 suction cup sticky pods - BUT not sticking them down, simply using the stiff rubber sitting on the surface - it also seems to work as a shock absorber. Attach the pan/tilt head to it and it's surprisingly solid.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Suction cups require a very smooth surface in order to grip - including the Fat Gecko double suction cup ones which I have, so if you go that route do make sure you test them on the actual surface first. I have been able to use them on painted doors and they easily hold a panny TM900 which is similar to your cam in form factor and weight.

A safer bet would be to use a large clamp such as the Manfrotto Super Clamp - so long as the edge of the stage or the mantel has a sufficiently narrow and non-sloping edge that it can grip to:

Manfrotto 035C Super Clamp - Brackets Clamps

Then add a manfrotto heavy duty flex arm to get some height:

Manfrotto 237HD Heavy Duty Flex Arm

or a rigid Manfrotto extension arm:

Manfrotto 042 Extension Arm

Both of these plug directly into the superclamp and so cannot unscrew themselves or come loose - which can happen with friction arms.

You need to top either with a suitable ball head to enable you to level the horizon etc accurately.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

After doing a lot of research, I think I'm going with this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/570555-REG/Delvcam_TT1048_TT1048_Video_Big_Foot.html
Between sandbags and gaffers tape, I think I can get a lot of different uses out of it without a big investment.
Rey Lowe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques