DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Getting contracts signed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/516669-getting-contracts-signed.html)

Peter Rush May 20th, 2013 06:42 AM

Getting contracts signed

This has been discussed before but I'd like to know what folks are currently doing regarding getting your contracts signed - currently I'm sending out 2 signed copies and a pre-paid envelope so one can be returned to me - not expensive or much hassle but an electronic version of this would be more elegant but docusign @ $15/month seems a little pricey for maybe only 30-40 contracts/year

Pete

Robert Benda May 20th, 2013 06:56 AM

Re: Getting contracts signed

For the last year I've used DocuSign and enjoyed it, but it wasn't at $15/month (and it's only that cheap if you pay the full $180 up front).

Right now, I'm working on a signable PDF I can email, and just skip DocuSign all together. Not having to handle any paper is wonderful and I don't want to go back.

Steve Bleasdale May 20th, 2013 07:29 AM

Im sending but struggling to get them back??? They will not send them but only a few are commiting to the contracts. Anyone give us a shout without frightening them of to get them back...

Chris Harding May 20th, 2013 07:31 AM

Hi Pete

I do mine in person when I meet the bride and groom ... that way I know the wedding is booked 100% .. in the very few cases where they ask to think about it (probably less than 1%) I leave them the contract and rarely get it back!! Those are my "no sales" people and are written off.

I occasionally do some overseas people (I have a lady from Paris getting married here in December) and with those I simply create a PDF using CutePDF and they scan the signed copy and email the scan back to me.

Chris

Chris Harding May 20th, 2013 07:33 AM

Steve?

Very simple ..a quick email to tell them that their wedding date remains unbooked and available to other brides until the signed contract is returned. This confirms the wedding booking.

Chris

Peter Rush May 20th, 2013 07:39 AM

To be honest I think a contract scares some of them off - when you mention 'we need to sign a contract' sometimes you can see a 'look' exchanged between the couple!

George Kilroy May 20th, 2013 08:04 AM

I never called it a 'contract' always an 'agreement', that sounds much friendlier but all of my contract terms and conditions were printed on the reverse.
I always found an email stating that the date was still available to others swiftly brought the form back.

Nigel Barker May 20th, 2013 08:04 AM

You don't need a signed contract. We have taken to just sending them the T&Cs & taking payment of the booking fee as acceptance of those T&Cs. As long as there is an email audit trail there is no problem. I should qualify that by saying we are in the UK which is far less litigious than the US.

Peter Rush May 20th, 2013 08:13 AM

Nigel what a great idea - nice and simple :)

Daniel Latimer May 20th, 2013 10:46 AM

If you advertise on Wedding Wire they have a service that allows people to sign the contract online with their mouse. That's what I've been using and enjoy the ease of use.

Steve Bleasdale May 20th, 2013 11:32 AM

Thanks Chris, Nigel and Pete, just done my new terms and conditions...

Ana Conlon May 20th, 2013 11:35 AM

I don't know if it’s different in the sates but I created my own contract based around a sample one I found online. I looked long and hard at the terms and conditions and altered where necessary.

This 'contract' is actually my booking form. Page one has all the wedding details page 2 has the packages I offer with the price agreed and page three is all the terms and conditions which the couple have to sign and return this along with their security deposit to fully secure the date. I have my booking form/contract on my site as a PDF for download or I send it via email.

No problems... nice and easy and my couples seem very happy with it. Then can make a copy for there own records and everyone is happy.

Again I'm in Europe so I don't know if you've got more legal issues to deal with in the US

Peter Riding May 20th, 2013 12:13 PM

I don't meet many of my clients before they book. I've had a PDF Booking Form and Contract online for the past 10 years :- )

http://www.ashtonlamont.co.uk/docs/w...htonlamont.pdf

They download it no problem. Then they can either post it back or scan and email back the 1st and last pages (the data + the signatures). I countersign it and email them a PDF copy. Job done.

It is very easy to create PDFs in any number of programs. I use Open Office which is the free alternative to MS Office.

Its seldom if ever a problem getting the contract back. I would be very dubious about shooting without having received a signed contract though I have done it occasionally for example this weekend where the booking was only a day before D-Day. In that case i refer them to the online contract and make it clear in the email that all terms and conditions apply unless agreed otherwise in writing.

Most clients now pay their deposits and balances by internet bank transfer. That is usually instantaneous and far cheaper than my card agency or Paypal or cheques etc.

The main thing is to get the deposit - which should actually be called the retainer - the paperwork can follow.

Pete

Steve Bleasdale May 20th, 2013 12:55 PM

Peter i have open office can you direct me to a pdf tutorial sounds good. Steve

Wedding Video Liverpool Photography Liverpool Capture Your Moments Wedding

James Manford May 20th, 2013 02:36 PM

I love renaming the contract to terms & conditions / agreement.

Sounds so much more re-assuring. There is something about 'contract' that sounds a bit harsh !!! don't know why. Doesn't have a lovely ring to it.