Labeling Your Equipment, Lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 24th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Labeling Your Equipment, Lenses

I searched the forums, but couldn't find a thread specifically on the question of:

Do you label your equipment down to the lenses? (besides just tagging your bag). If so, I'd love to hear what kinds of labels work best on lenses so as not to hurt resale. Same with cameras, I suppose.

Is there a company people use to get several company labels made at once? Thank you!
Old May 24th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Labeling Your Equipment, Lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bakland View Post
I searched the forums, but couldn't find a thread specifically on the question of:

Do you label your equipment down to the lenses? (besides just tagging your bag). If so, I'd love to hear what kinds of labels work best on lenses so as not to hurt resale. Same with cameras, I suppose.

Is there a company people use to get several company labels made at once? Thank you!
Depends ... I would only label my items if I planned to keep them forever.

Thing is, I love changing my equipment to the latest things I can afford so on that basis I leave everything untagged.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Trustee

I simply print my name and phone number with different size fonts on a piece of paper. After cutting them out with a paper cutter, I tape them to whatever I can with Scotch heavy duty packaging/shipping tape. It sticks to everything and looks very professional. Big fonts go on big items like speakers, rolling carts, and movie screens, small fonts go on things like wireless mic transmitters and memory cards. You can print these as big or as small as you need. I suppose you could label your lens by putting your name on the lens hood or inside the lens cap.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Major Player

IMO, the loss in value because of a condition downgrade from labeling a group of lenses far outweighs the risk of one possibly getting mixed up with someone else' one day. That's the only time a label is going to help. If someone is looking to steal your gear, a label isn't going to stop them, not even for a second.

Just my opinion, as always, YMMV.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I use a Brother Label machine. The labels come off without hurting the finish in any way. I label everything. Printing vertically on a 1" or 3/4" wide tape lets you make some small labels. There's also clear tape.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #6
Inner Circle

My wife & I get our 5D2/5D3s mixed up. I suggested that I scratch her name on her ones but she wasn't keen:-)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

LABEL EVERYTHING. Name, number, email, business.

Found an iPhone today. No label, and it's locked.

Luckily, turned it in to the gym near where I found it, and they recognized the lady in the picture. She comes in daily. Hopefully she asks at the desk.
Christian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Major Player

+1 for the Brother labeling machine. It's especially handy when you're shooting with others (who have siimilar gear). They won't leave a residue, look neat, and lower your blood pressure (well, maybe not that last one).
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Major Player

ditto on the label maker. It helped me once to recover a tripod I left behind. For my lenses. I put a small dab of white-out on the barrel so that I can recognize it from other shooter's lenses.

Art
Old May 25th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I use a $10 Dymo manual label embosser and it does the job great. The label leaves no residue when removed so there's no loss in value from it.

I often work with other people and it's easy to get equipment mixed up at the end of a long shooting day.
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #11
New Boot

Well for me I make sure I have records of all the serial numbers. Not sure with you, but for my insurance, I was required to keep a record of the serial numbers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques