investors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 24th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #1
Major Player

investors

I'd like to sell the cinematographer's business concept
I mean we have weddings, birthday parties, funeral's, anything formal, but
beyond that what else. I've listed EPKs (electronic press kits), commercials,
graduations, and family reunions.

However what are other ideas that I can throw at a potential
investor, someone who wants to help build the business and gain a little
intrest on their investment.

I guess all I'm asking is for a proposal, and if not make mention the ways in
which you've generated some Substantial income.
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 04:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

real estate ;)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #3
Major Player

What could anyone need investors for in the general videography business? A loan? Maybe. Money-only partners? Never.
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #4
Trustee

I agree that investors are a bad idea. There are many regulatory laws and the amount of money you need to get started can generally be gotten personally. Unless you are talking HUGE scale, I dont think anyone would be interested.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa
What could anyone need investors for in the general videography business? A loan? Maybe. Money-only partners? Never.
Well it was just someone intrested in helping with equiptment, and are close to me so I said why not. I guess no one here can offer any help regarding why this business is sucessful.
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I agree that investors are a bad idea. There are many regulatory laws and the amount of money you need to get started can generally be gotten personally. Unless you are talking HUGE scale, I dont think anyone would be interested.

ash =o)
When you say laws what do you mean?
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Waters
Well it was just someone intrested in helping with equiptment, and are close to me so I said why not. I guess no one here can offer any help regarding why this business is sucessful.
I think YOU nailed it. Weddings #1 answer on the board. Spend time on marketing that. A friend of mine entered the wedding business and threw away any zip code (from shows) that wasn't big old money neighborhoods. He charged 3 times what anyone else did and within two years became one of the premier photographers in the area. He represents one camera company and several trades in the business. He had guts to stick to a well thoughtout business plan. He caters to the very rich.

Find a niche.

good luck
Old September 25th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Plunkett
I think YOU nailed it. Weddings #1 answer on the board. Spend time on marketing that. A friend of mine entered the wedding business and threw away any zip code (from shows) that wasn't big old money neighborhoods. He charged 3 times what anyone else did and within two years became one of the premier photographers in the area. He represents one camera company and several trades in the business. He had guts to stick to a well thoughtout business plan. He caters to the very rich.

Find a niche.

good luck
I like that encouragement, and the help. Even if it's two lines. The point is he helped to push the wedding idea and keep me focused.

I mean not everyone can get a 6000 loan to get all their powermacs/software/mics/lights

Sometimes the help comes elsewhere and my idea was to complie a list of the things needed, and while he invests, show him that he will earn a return on his investment. This whole cinematographer position isn't dead it's a thriving business. Weddings alone can feed a household it just has to be well planned and structure.

Thanks again Mike I will find my niche.
Old September 28th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #9
Major Player

$6000 loan, I think you might want to think about more money.

If you puchased 3 cameras, used at 2k you just spent that and that doesn't include wireless, computer, software and tripods.

It's much more expensive to start that you think.

Even if you bought

2 used cameras 4000
1 wireless 300
2 tripods 500
Software 600 Minumum
computer If you have one already
----------------------------
$5400... I guess it's possible to get started for under 6k, provided you have your own computer. Once you do a few weddings you can add the third camera.

Good luck
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon East
$6000 loan, I think you might want to think about more money.

If you puchased 3 cameras, used at 2k you just spent that and that doesn't include wireless, computer, software and tripods.

It's much more expensive to start that you think.

Even if you bought

2 used cameras 4000
1 wireless 300
2 tripods 500
Software 600 Minumum
computer If you have one already
----------------------------
$5400... I guess it's possible to get started for under 6k, provided you have your own computer. Once you do a few weddings you can add the third camera.

Good luck
Hehe, yea. I've put 4500 in to my business, and I could dump another 4500 and not have half the stuff I need.

GL2 - 2000
Second cam I already had.
Editing Laptop - 1400
Low end tripod 100
Monopod 100
2 irivers ~200
wireless 100
camera light 100
The rest is misc stuff and advertising costs.

If I didn't already have a decent cam for wide shots, it would have cost me another 2k.
Ken Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #11
Major Player

Well Ken I appreciate your comments, I do however intend to get those high on my list as of now.
Old October 1st, 2005, 12:50 AM   #12
Trustee

My reference to law was soliciting funds from several people. If you are essentially borrowing money from someone you know... not a big deal.

If you plan on making a living doing wedding videos, you need to spend more like $10K out of the box for a full set up. I personally dont think it is the best way to make money with a camera and it can be FIERCELY competetive. The thing I have found is that the guys making most the money off weddings are good businessman and average at best videographers. Weddings are about referrals, hook-ups, word of mouth, etc. Most people only care about it being "good enough."

I do a couple weddings a year but usually they are mega-high dollar and even though I am compensated well, it is usually a friend of a friend.

The real money in the video business is the middle-stream shoots and productions. There are more TV shows, DVDs, EPKs, interviews, Behind the Scenes, etc. being produced than ever before and they have pretty deep pockets. Not enough to pay the big production houses but enough for the small operations to thrive. This work comes largely based on your talent and skill that then is propelled by word of mouth. The money in this area is GREAT and the need is HUGE. I have no website and no reel... not even business cards but I turn down one job for every one I take. Every year since 1997 I have made more money than the year before. This year has been the best. To give you an idea, the guy that I refer the jobs I pass on to has already made 6 figures this year!

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:49 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson

I personally dont think it is the best way to make money with a camera and it can be FIERCELY competetive. The thing I have found is that the guys making most the money off weddings are good businessman and average at best videographers. Weddings are about referrals, hook-ups, word of mouth, etc. Most people only care about it being "good enough."

I do a couple weddings a year but usually they are mega-high dollar and even though I am compensated well, it is usually a friend of a friend.

productions. There are more TV shows, DVDs, EPKs, interviews, Behind the Scenes, etc. being produced than ever before and they have pretty deep pockets. Not enough to pay the big production houses but enough for the small operations to thrive. This work comes largely based on your talent and skill that then is propelled by word of mouth. The money in this area is GREAT and the need is HUGE.

ash =o)
Ash everything you said was encouraging. I would think I can be as lenghtly as you... My dad has always been the one to give advice and push
his point of view on I his son. His take is make the money with what you have don't go out and spend more, putting yourself in further debt.

I would agree to an extent, because I don't even know how well the market will be once all my initial spending is done. He gave a story of a guy opening up a small grocery store. Within the 1st week he already had 3 employees 1 casher, stocker, and I guess inventory. In 2 months he was closed... My guess is he went way outside his budget. My take is different
build a client base now, practice as best I can. Get some work done buy more equiptment. The investor came to me and I've known him for quite sometime, so I said hey why not.

I do agree most of what we do is PR/word of mouth refferals. As of now I haven't gotten a single call on my cell due to my business cards. I do feel that 10K is the alloted amount needed to fully start in this business. Right now I'm getting gigs at church (special days, 90-birthday for some lady, wedding anniversary, revivals) not a whole lot of fun, but practice.

So far I've spent a little over $5500 and the investor spent $1500 (mics/XLR). I would like to get (powermac/fcpstudio/magic bullet/23"display/ram/ A minidv deck/ 2nd cam pana24p and a few more items.

We should keep in touch motivation and sharing is ALWAYS good.

thanks

Dante'
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:18 PM   #14
Trustee

Business cards dont do much... shoot stuff for free or on the cheap. Build a reel and some buzz. Bands are great, do a music video and an EPK for a local band.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques