iPhone 4S Wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 2nd, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Major Player

iPhone 4S Wedding

I've been intrigued with filming a wedding with nothing but iPhone's for a while and recently got an opportunity. It's definitely a challenge as you don't have control over exposure, focus & white balance except for locking it but given the challenges it wasn't that bad. I was blown away with the overall image quality at FullHD, obviously not as good as a dedicated video camera but impressive for a phone. A fun experience, hope you enjoy the results.

We used 4x iPhone 4S 16Gb phones with the SlingShot tripod mount. We had a Macbook Pro 13 on standby to dump the footage & swapped between phones to keep them charged. For audio we used the Zoom H1 & H4n. Support gear included the Glidecam 2000, Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 Monopod, Kessler Crane PocketJib Traveller, Glidetrack. Macro lens adapter. App used: Filmic Pro.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: iPhone 4S Wedding

Excellent work. It had a real organic feel to it.

Too bad the iPhone doesn't have replaceable batteries.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Looks great Nicholas! If you wouldn't have told me I never would have thought it was from a mobile phone, the image quality looks very good, it did seem to struggle in lower light though.

Was this just some one time thing, just to see if it could be done? How did the client react when you said you were using mobile phones?

Funny is that the language is very similar to Dutch, I can understand almost everything that's being said. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Just goes to show it's content first then a good camera.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Noa it's Afrikaans (South Africa) very similar to Dutch yes. It was a one time thing, we asked a bride if we could film her wedding with iPhones for free & gave no guarantee that we would actually delivery anything as we didn't know if we would succeed. We chose a morning wedding I don't think the iPhone will do well in low light so we planned for good lighting most of the day. It felt weird filming as the guests would look at us funny wondering what on earth we are doing but on a positive we could get closer to the guests, people felt very comfortable around us. We where pressed for time so we couldn't get all the shots we wanted the ceremony started at 9AM.

A lot of shots was over exposed which we tried to compensate for in editing however what I took home from all this was that we put so much emphasis in the latest and greatest gear that with a little imagination & creativity there are no limits. It was fun to do something a little differently.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
we put so much emphasis in the latest and greatest gear that with a little imagination & creativity there are no limits.
Now you did use quite some extra "gear" like the jib, the slider and the steadicam which does give the production some added value but I wonder how it would have looked if you would have gone for the bare essentials like just a few iphone's and maybe only monopods and some small external audio recorders as you do need those for decent sound anyway.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I'd bet that most of the "support" gear could have been left out - the advantage of a small image capture device is that you can mimic shots if you know how they "should" look and can move the camera in a stable fashion. That IS a bit tricky, but once you realize the flexibility, you start to get crazy ideas!

The look was good, exposure did seem to be a bit of a challenge (a bit overexposed?), but overall I'd guess your bride was thrilled!

Once again reinforcing the idea that it's not the camera that makes the image, but the "nut" behind it!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Trustee

Just wow.

Fantastic example of what can be done in the right hands. Your editing style had a big part to play too.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Trustee

Hey Nicholas, I have to say your iPhone wedding puts my DSLR weddings to shame. Brilliant motion graphics title sequence as well.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques