Update emails at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 18th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Trustee

Update emails

Ok, so someone's booked you. Could be a year or more in advance. What's the next point of contact?

What's currently next contact for me, assuming no prewedding video, is just emailing a month before wedding to discuss schedule. But would it be better to contact people more regularly, like sending out a newsletter every month or two months with your latest news and random tips? I'm pretty sure I was reading someone's post on this board who does just that.

What do you think, Is this sort of thing, a newsletter, worth doing? What realistically does it achieve beyond making more work for yourself? For instance, do couples really get jumpy when they haven't heard from you for a while?
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Update emails

Hi Adrian

Good question.

I doubt they want spam in their inbox.

What do they care about random tips? I might just notify them of a new trailer i've uploaded of another wedding or something ... but even then, whats the point? you've been booked.

If some ones booked me in advance. I don't contact them til a month or a few weeks prior to their wedding day just to confirm schedule or changes.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Mine is fairly easy cos I split the fee in thirds and the 2nd third is due 2 weeks before the wedding so I always send an email 3 weeks before reminding them that their payment is due on or before XX-XX-XXXX

At the same time I will check if they are having a rehearsal and get the date/time for that and also request they send me the running sheet for the reception and if there is no rehearsal I will also check on prep times and when the limo is arriving at each house.

This re-starts the communication if the wedding was booked a year or more ago (most are!) so I can make sure I have all the info I need.

I also phone the bride on the Wednesday before the wedding to make sure everything is on track and nothing has changed ... they seem to appreciate a call a few days before as it shows you are actively involved and interested.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just a friendly email once in a while to ask them how everything is doing doesn't hurt. It often leads to interesting conversations and it's always a good thing to keep in touch with your clients. I find that the better I know my couples, the better I will be able to capture and edit a film that will be representative of who they are. Taking time to connect with them before, during and after their wedding definitely makes a difference in my opinion. Not to mention that it also makes the entire experience more fun and enjoyable for everyone too.
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Truong View Post
Just a friendly email once in a while to ask them how everything is doing doesn't hurt. It often leads to interesting conversations and it's always a good thing to keep in touch with your clients. I find that the better I know my couples, the better I will be able to capture and edit a film that will be representative of who they are. Taking time to connect with them before, during and after their wedding definitely makes a difference in my opinion. Not to mention that it also makes the entire experience more fun and enjoyable for everyone too.
Just be a bit careful getting too cosy with your clients ...

From personal experience if you get too friendly, couples tend to expect you to do THEM favours ...

Here's a recent conversation.

Them:
"Oh can I have the raw footage please?"

You:
"Sure, it will cost £200 and i'll provide it on a brand new 250gb external hard drive that can connect via USB to your SMART TV, PC or Laptop or Media Player"

Them:
"WHAT? Come on James... your ripping us off, what if I buy and provide the hard drive? Can you just give the footage for free"

See where I'm going ? ... They start calling you by your name asking for favours, thinking we are now buddies all because I've filmed them and their family/friends and had a slice of their wedding cake.

I like to stay professional, but get to know my clients JUST enough to be able to tell them to pose, or smile etc without feeling like I don't know them at all ...

So I agree with you, but disagree as well.

I personally think any email communications should be relevant. Not for the sake of chit chat.

You've been hired to carry out a service, don't forget that.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Trustee

I certainly try to email them with information, questionnaires etc before the wedding - I don't want to know how cute their cat is but I like to let them know I haven't forgotten them.
Old June 20th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
But would it be better to contact people more regularly, like sending out a newsletter every month or two months with your latest news and random tips? I'm pretty sure I was reading someone's post on this board who does just that.
I think it's worth while if you regularly post new videos so to keep them updated and show them you haven't forgot about them. I always tell my clients I"ll phone them a week in advance to go over the planning but often they contact me 3 or 4 weeks before that asking if something needs to be done. :)

I usually don't spend any time sending mails unless I"m preparring for their wedding.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Trustee

When they book, my couples get an email letting them know what will happen: they get a link to my client website with some ideas from other weddings and bridal magazines. Every so often, they get an email with two or three ideas. (monthly during December - March, then one or two until the fall, so it's not too many). The emails also mention when I'll be in their town and would they like to schedule a meeting to walk through ideas and details.

The whole premise is that we're here to help, and by tossing out ideas, we're trying to help them personalize their day.

Example, after a recent experience with bride who was really uncomfortable on camera, we'll send an email out discussing 'if that's you, here's what we can do...'

Or I just sat through two receptions with a 12 and 15 minute picture slide show video (arggghhhh).... so I'll send my tips on how to make a good one around, again.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Just be a bit careful getting too cosy with your clients ...

From personal experience if you get too friendly, couples tend to expect you to do THEM favours ...

Here's a recent conversation.

Them:
"Oh can I have the raw footage please?"

You:
"Sure, it will cost £200 and i'll provide it on a brand new 250gb external hard drive that can connect via USB to your SMART TV, PC or Laptop or Media Player"

Them:
"WHAT? Come on James... your ripping us off, what if I buy and provide the hard drive? Can you just give the footage for free"

See where I'm going ? ... They start calling you by your name asking for favours, thinking we are now buddies all because I've filmed them and their family/friends and had a slice of their wedding cake.

I like to stay professional, but get to know my clients JUST enough to be able to tell them to pose, or smile etc without feeling like I don't know them at all ...

So I agree with you, but disagree as well.

I personally think any email communications should be relevant. Not for the sake of chit chat.

You've been hired to carry out a service, don't forget that.
I personally don't see a problem with that, but that's just me. My clients treat me like friends and respect my profession as well. Cheap people are cheap people whether they are friends or just clients. You don't have to give in to their request just because you treat them like friends. I would say no to any friend who asks me for unreasonable favours too.
Long Truong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques