Matching shots from different cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 21st, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Matching shots from different cameras

Hi all- I've been shooting weddings with a Canon XF100, and a 60D. I don't have the hang of matching up their settings and white balance yet, so my shots look a bit different from eachother. I believe that in the creative cloud version of Adobe Speedgrade there is a "look matching" function, but not in the normal version of the program. Anyone have any other quick ways of matching shots of a scene from one camera to another?
Max Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Matching shots from different cameras

I don't know what editing software are you using, but in FCP X, there is a button that you need to click and it will match the color automatically, since you are using both Canon cameras, that won't be hard to color match.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Trustee

In Sony Vegas you can colour match ... but boy oh boy does it drain the energy out of your system!
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Maybe you also want to learn the basics of Color Correcting also.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Inner Circle

+1 Max, while you get organised, don't forget your audience will see what they expect to see, unless the difference between the cameras is way off.

I remember when we had an unavoidable rough edit in the voice track, and the client was in listening to the track, right on the rough edit I used to cough.
Try something like that :)

Cheers.
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I do know some basics of color correcting, and I'm willing to learn plenty more. However, I'm just starting out, and I was paid a very small fee for this gig and I've already spent a lot of time on it due to my inexperience. The B&G shouldn't be expecting matched shots at this price point, but I'm still going to produce the best piece I can.
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Trustee

A relative newbie here, but my strategy when filming has been to focus less on matching the cameras to each other and instead match each camera to what I see with my eyes.

In post (Sony Vegas), Color Corrector is the best tool. I group the footage from each camera by lighting/area. So all the footage from Camera A, in the church, goes on it's own line in the timeline then Camera A outside, is another line (since it will look very different); Camera B/church is a third line, etc.

This is because you can apply an FX like color correct to the entire line as a group, and save yourself some serious time.

And when doing color correct, I find a nice shot of the bride's dress (or a white wall), and work til that is correct (highs), then make sure skin tones are flattering (mid-tones); then check the black tuxes (lows).
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Palmer View Post
I do know some basics of color correcting, and I'm willing to learn plenty more. However, I'm just starting out, and I was paid a very small fee for this gig and I've already spent a lot of time on it due to my inexperience. The B&G shouldn't be expecting matched shots at this price point, but I'm still going to produce the best piece I can.
I learned the basics of color correction by watching a Lynda tutorial. It was fantastic and I would highly recommend it (although it was for premiere pro, they probably have similar ones for other NLE's)
Nick Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
A relative newbie here, but my strategy when filming has been to focus less on matching the cameras to each other and instead match each camera to what I see with my eyes.

In post (Sony Vegas), Color Corrector is the best tool. I group the footage from each camera by lighting/area. So all the footage from Camera A, in the church, goes on it's own line in the timeline then Camera A outside, is another line (since it will look very different); Camera B/church is a third line, etc.

This is because you can apply an FX like color correct to the entire line as a group, and save yourself some serious time.

And when doing color correct, I find a nice shot of the bride's dress (or a white wall), and work til that is correct (highs), then make sure skin tones are flattering (mid-tones); then check the black tuxes (lows).
Robert- are you color correct all shots from a scene on one timeline, and then cutting the corrected timeline into a new timeline to do your edits?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Major Player

My editor has found that first using the FBMN white balance plugin on all the footage brings it closer to matching and then adjusting exposure does even more. It is only after doing those two things does she then look at color correcting.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Palmer View Post
Robert- are you color correct all shots from a scene on one timeline, and then cutting the corrected timeline into a new timeline to do your edits?
So far, no, not when I can help it. Vegas let's me create enough lines that I don't need to. I usually do separate work files for each part of the day: prep, ceremony, reception... So if my working file is the ceremony, I need three time lines (one for each camera), and can do some minor fixing on each file, if needed, but most major changes are for that entire line (all footage from that one camera).
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Echo DJs comments. I try to white balance footage, then adjust exposure. Exposure affects the appearance enourmously. Between these two things you often have to do nothing more.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques