DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   iPhone/iPad authoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/517371-iphone-ipad-authoring.html)

Roger Gunkel June 27th, 2013 02:17 PM

Re: iPhone/iPad authoring

Ok, so why is there an assumption that I am against HD or don't promote it to my clients? Let me reiterate once more that at every new client meeting, I promote the fact that they can have their wedding in HD of they wish, on MP4 or I will put it on their iPad for no extra charge. I also have an iPad showing a video along with the HD tv display at every wedding show that I do. It's just that they are never interested in it, although I could give them an HD version whether they wanted it or not. It just seems somewhat pointless!

As regards the main channels being on HD, that is only partly correct, as although Sky may broadcast in HD, a large proportion of the UK public don't subscribe to Sky, preferring to get their tv through Freeview. Many of the programmes that are broadcast on digital channels are also re runs of older non HD programmes and non HD imports. Much of the tv that many people watch is also downloaded through iPlayer, ITVplayer, and various other internet sources, most of which can hardly be described as HD quality viewing unless they have an extremely fast internet connection.

My point was merely that most people are quite happy to view content rather than quality, and that upscaled dvd is often commented on for the high quality when viewed on an HD tv compared to a lot of stuff that people sit and watch. If I supplied every customer with HD video I really don't think it would make one iota of difference to the amount of business that I do, but I am very happy to let them know they can have it. I would also be very happy to supply everything on MP4, as it would do away with having to write dvds and print up artwork for cases and dvd faces. :-)

Roger

Chris Harding June 27th, 2013 06:20 PM

Hi Roger

It certainly wasn't my assumption that you are anti-HD .. With me as well, I admit that the option is currently missing on my website so I should at least offer it to brides, despite the fact that they never ask for it? I'm certainly not against the bride seeing her wedding in HD and more often than not if she doesn't ask about it when I meet them, then I don't even bring up the subject. Seriously if a bride says "I like your work where do I sign" is it actually necessary to offer more options?

Maybe I should add an MP4 disk to my packages ...free or pay for it??? I do like the idea of supplying the MP4 files on a disk rather than a thumb drive ... 30 cents for a blank disk is more profitable than an 8GB thumb drive price and you can print a lot easier on the disk.

Chris

Roger Gunkel June 28th, 2013 04:26 AM

Hi Chris,
I think that perhaps as videographers we have higher expectations of the technical knowledge of our clients than most of them actually posess. For example, I always say to my clients that I am quite happy for them to make their own copies of the dvd for family and friends with no need to come back to me unless they want printed sleeves and discs. The usual response is that they wouldn't know how to do that! I find it amazing that most people only know how to go online or save their pictures to a computer, so I suspect that if you give them a disc with an mp4 file on it, most of them wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.

I always take stills off of the video to use as an ending montage, and I put the file on a disc for them to view separately on their computer or print out. I've lost count of the number of calls I have had from clients saying that the stills disc won't play on their dvd player even though the disc has 'data only' written on it.

I really feel that most people are not the slightest bit interested in whether we do SD, HD or 4K and whether we deliver it on dvd, BD, usb or sd card providing they can play it. They look at examples and if they like what they see and get on with you, then they will book. Providing we keep up with current mainstream consumer formats that are used by the majority, then in my opinion, anything else on offer will be a case of 'If it's free we'll have it', with the occasional exception of course.

Roger

Chris Harding June 28th, 2013 05:38 AM

Hi Roger

You have hit the nail on the head of course ..brides are only interested in the content! Put good content on a VHS tape (assuming they have a player) and they would still be delighted!!

Yep, you can often lure guys with technology but the brides you can't ! I suspect that grooms would maybe watch the DVD under great duress or maybe they figure if they keep the new wife happy things will get even better BUT I very much doubt whether they watch it because the dresses are pretty. I bet if you told a bride the disks would be in a "UHD77-P disk format with wrap around ultrasound" they would be unphased UNLESS they couldn't watch it. It's the same with our cameras too!! I had a photog friend who had a Canon 40D and the first thing he would do at a bride consultation was pull out his camera and explain all it's tech advantages ... the bride of course was totally un-interested. All she wanted was to look at some prints to see what her wedding would look like.

As a little exercise I had added a new bullet to my packages offering MP4 clips of the wedding that the bride can install on her iPad or iPhone ... I'll leave it for a week but I bet it won't make much difference to sales enquiries ..of course, if I'm wrong I'll keep it there otherwise I won't worry about doing it.

Cover her wedding accurately with sharp focus and nice audio and you have a happy bride! If you do happen to book a tech savvy bride, she will ask you the technical questions.

Chris