Anyone have issues with the Rode DSLR shotgun mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 1st, 2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone have issues with the Rode DSLR shotgun mic?

I have a 60D, and I have problems with the jack on my Rode DSLR shotgun mic not fitting very well. It can't be trusted to stay plugged into the microphone jack on the body of the camera. Anyone have any solutions?
Max Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Anyone have issues with the Rode DSLR shotgun mic?

Hey Max, do you mean the Rode Videomic Pro? If so, I have four of these, and have never had the jack problem. I've got a feeling yours might be defective; I wouldn't trust a loose jack to maintain consistent audio. Can't think of a better solution than "Return it."

I have had other problems with Rode VMPs though, like:
-- those infernal rubber bands keeping falling out/getting lost; the newer VMPs are slightly better than the older ones; they also didn't used to be sold separately, but Rode was happy to send me some for free when I complained;
-- it's not easy to remove a battery with your fingers -- I now attach a little tab of gaffer tape to the side of each battery to pull on, and this works like a charm;
-- windsocks often fall off (or else I'm not putting them on properly).
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Can you find out if the problem is the plug on the VideoMic? Or the socket on the 6D. IF the problem is with the VideoMic, contact them at rodemic.com. Their service is top notch.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

This is not the Videomic pro, it's the less expensive one that they offer at B&H. I will give them a call and see. Good thing I saved the boxes to all my new equipment!
Max Palmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques