How to Advertise/Increase Clientele? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 21st, 2013, 03:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to Advertise/Increase Clientele?

I'm in my second year of videography (specifically wedding videography) and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for expanding my clientele. I have a steady amount coming in from referrals but could benefit from reaching a wider demographic as I am mainly shooting Vietnamese weddings.

Does anyone have any suggestions for advertising? I'm currently attending a wedding expo in September and hope to at least book one client to break even. Are there any recommended sites for advertising for wedding videography?
Edward Calabig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How to Advertise/Increase Clientele?

Go pound the pavement and meet the other vendors in the industry. Drop in and introduce yourself. Don't go in with a handful of brochures and business cards - if there is mutual interest in helping each other out that can come later and is another opportunity for contact. Build a mutual referral network.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Major Player

When considering how to "advertise" and grow a business we always ask what other people have done yet forget to review the information we already know.

You are NOT much different than anyone else. When you go out investigating a purchase, what do you respond to ??? Where do you look ??? What advertising holds more credibility for you ??? What turns you off ??? What "hot buttons" make you pop for the purchase ??? What advertising have people spent money on that when you are exposed to it or presented with it, you turn around and discard it ???

When you go to that wedding show you have a few moments to get someone's attention as to what it is you do. If they are not already thinking video, most likely they are walking right on past on to services they are interested in. Now you could approach them as they walk by, hand them a biz card, brochure and demo DVD. Most will probably take it, toss it in their bag and bolt on their way. When they get home they empty their bag, toss the trash, which you "advertising" most likely will be part of.

So when you are at the show you goal is to somehow create some interest in those brief moments people are in front of your booth. The best way to do that is SHOW them what you do, as in a demo running on a laptop and monitor with speakers. All the brochures in the world won't say as much as 30 seconds of sweet demo footage playing right there in front of them. If you get their attention, then hand them your materials. Chances are a little bit better then that you may get some mileage out of them.

Isn't that how you react when you have been in similar situations ??? I know it's how I am and what works on me.

Booking right at the show is most preferable for the vendor. Chances are most brides won't pop the first time they encounter you. This means the days and weeks following the show one of your main jobs is follow up, follow up, follow up !!!

So put together a solid strategy on how you are going to work that show. After you have the show done, then consider your next advertising campaign.

Now this might be as obvious as it is, but you are here asking a bunch of guys who probably never planned a wedding in their life, how to connect with people twho plan weddings today !!! :-) You already have a whole list of experienced brides who you could be asking where they found out about their vendors. Call up one different couple every week, invite out them to cocktails and spend some time learning how they did it. Take notes and after a few of these meetings you should see some patterns emerge. What you are hoping to learn is where to place your exposure so it's seen by the most buyers. You also want to hope to learn what exposure is worthwhile and what is probably wasted. If you do this a half dozen times you will be in a far better position to start making intelligent decisions on how and where to put your advertising investment.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Good advice Chip:-) A lot of videographers seem to steer clear of wedding shows and if you don't approach it correctly they will be wasted time.

Over nearly 30 years, they have been very successful for me and it is all down to a few seconds to get their attention. It's no good handing out brochures as Chip said, unless you have spoken to them and gained a measure of interest.

Remember that the Bride makes most of the decisions and she is at a show to look at dresses, flowers, shoes, cakes, photographs and other girlie type things. She will steer clear of anything that looks like technology, so cameras, tripods, steadycams, gliders etc will kill your display stone dead. A big TV with romantic shots showing will attract her attention, as will bright colours on the stand and weddingy things. I use a bright pink table covering, with a display of bright dvd cases, a range of padded cases and an iPad running video in addition to the big tv. I also spread small foil wedding confetti on the stand and have a few silver plastic bells to add atmosphere.

Once I have caught their attention, I discuss anything about the wedding except video, for the first few seconds, to build a relationship, then ask them whether they had considered a professional video. The answer is usually no, so then it is a question of quickly finding the reason, then giving the alternative viewpoint in a friendly informative way.

Quite often the prospective groom is trailing a few feet behind looking bored, so it is comparatively easy to get his attention by appealing to the techno geek side. I personally find wedding shows challenging in a good way, a chance to mix with other professionals in the wedding business and an opportunity to see what potential clients actually look at.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Trustee

If you really want to impress at a bridal show, use a TV mounted to a vertical truss/totem. Sound & Light rental places can set it up for you.

I find that video is often an afterthought for people (in our market, which has been under served for years) and its crucial to remind them that it exists first, then sell them. That means bridal shows and preferred vendor status to put your name in front of them as they shop for other things.

Vendor referrals, especially from a photographer, church/minister, or banquet manager are crucial. My DJ business is built on client referrals, but excels based on the vendor who recommend me. Our videography piggy backs off that success since its only in its 2nd year.

Wedding Videography by RNB Weddings
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
Vendor referrals, especially from a photographer, church/minister, or banquet manager are crucial. My DJ business is built on client referrals, but excels based on the vendor who recommend me. Our videography piggy backs off that success since its only in its 2nd year.
Do any of you provide clips of vendor's products to the vendor for use on their website or in their store, e.g. cake, flowers, etc? Back when I sold wedding photography it was a regular practice to send the florist and baker photos for their sample books. A few such clips and VO and you've got a nice web ad.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
Do any of you provide clips of vendor's products to the vendor for use on their website or in their store, e.g. cake, flowers, etc? Back when I sold wedding photography it was a regular practice to send the florist and baker photos for their sample books. A few such clips and VO and you've got a nice web ad.
We're pretty new, but have already started collecting names of vendors we work with, and turn that into a database. Work with someone a few times, and offer it to them free, but with credit.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the information everyone. Good call on not mentioning business cards/shoving merchandise down our client's throats! We're actually planning on bringing two monitors with stands and have a vendor whom we share referrals with that will be decorating our booth as well. I will be sure to bring an ipad to showcase our work as well as I did not think of that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques