4-8 minute trailer help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1
New Boot

4-8 minute trailer help

Hi Guys

I've filmed a few weddings recently and am happy with the way the longer versions have come out. The trouble I'm having is putting together the short 4-8 minute "trailers". TBH, they look crap as the they look like it jumps all over the place.

I was just wondering how you guys put together your short version of the films and would really appreciate any help or advice you could give me.

Regards

T
Terry Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: 4-8 minute trailer help

In my opinion Terry, you have to shoot FOR the trailer. Footage shot for a long form DVD will not be easily put into a short trailer. It won't look awful, but it won't look great either. My latest wedding folder has 276 clips in it. 80% of these will be less that 10 seconds.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Trustee

I do my trailer last. Once I have the long edit, I go through my timeline and rewatch. Anything that evokes any kind of emotion stays. Anything important narratively stays. Maybe a few key establishing shots. The rest slowly gets cut until I have less than 20 minutes of footage.

From there it's much more manageable. Maybe start by leaving things in order, but do some layering.

Use the start of the vows as voice over for her processional.

If someone did a great story or part of a speech, open with it.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Is there any real reason why you have to do a trailer?? In my opinion a trailer should simply be a sneak preview about the upcoming wedding video ..unless you are getting paid big bucks to do a trailer then seriously why even do one?? I figured that guys tend to do a trailer to keep the bride happy while they are working on the main video ..I get my long form DVD's out within a week so there is no need for a trailer hence no hassles with making it look good.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Terry, any chance you could post a sample of what you mean by jumps all over the place? In the members section, if you like?
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 01:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Chris,
As you know, I have not been filming weddings long, but I have done a trailer for each...and I will continue to do so. The main reason is the publicity that comes with it. A trailer placed on a social networking site like Facebook puts your name and the quality of your work out for people to see- people that might not normally find your website. A trailer in this regard takes on a life of its own. The bride normally will tag themselves and their friends. Then those friends might tag friends as well. It is possible many will share your trailer on their own pages/wall as well. When I put my first trailer on Facebook, over 2,700 people saw my company name. Over 600 watched the trailer within the first week. I have already booked a wedding thanks to it. I have yet to determine this for videography, but I know with photography, many brides just book the same person that did a friend or relative, rather than shop around. They saw the pictures and they were good enough- done deal. Trailers give videographers that same opportunity. A bride will not be able to force hundreds of friends and relatives to sit with her and watch the DVD. However, it is no problem to get those same people to watch a shortened version online. Now they have seen the quality. When they are getting married, the first thing they will think of is "well, they did a good job with my sister's wedding..." They will call you first.
Byron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
unless you are getting paid big bucks to do a trailer then seriously why even do one??
Like Byron says, it's the cheapest and fastest way to get free advertisement, editing a trailer is done quite quickly once I have done to longer form version, it takes me between a half or full day to cut it back to 5 minutes but that time "lost" is nothing compared to the advantages gained. A few months ago I had a couple with a large online group of friends. Their video was viewed almost a 1000 times in 2 days time through their facebook contacts only as I did not share the video anywhere else (like on vimeo or my website).
This has lead to new bookings already and it didn't cost me any effort at all, here my clients are doing the advertisement for me.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Is there any real reason why you have to do a trailer?? In my opinion a trailer should simply be a sneak preview about the upcoming wedding video ..unless you are getting paid big bucks to do a trailer then seriously why even do one?? I figured that guys tend to do a trailer to keep the bride happy while they are working on the main video ..I get my long form DVD's out within a week so there is no need for a trailer hence no hassles with making it look good.

Chris
Agree Chris, spot on... I started 7 years ago and went all out to do the trailers then I suddenly realised the trailer really was for my own artistic needs. For the money I get it is not worth the hassle, however I do a small version and they are even getting smaller due to the fact that the feedback stopped when I gave them the DVD, i found out the trailer was so good (they said) and long that they felt the need not to give any more feedback. So I have trimmed down the trailers. If I get a destination then I go over board on those...The thing is? the main ingredient here is the actual DVD and finished product, if that's not right then you have problems...
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
the trailer really was for my own artistic needs
If you don't post it online and if you don't charge accordingly for the extra time then I would agree but if you place it online and it gives you extra attention, work and income you can hardly say it's for your own artistic needs.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #10
Inner Circle

You need to decide what it is that you are selling and what your capabilities are. I produce documentary full length wedding video and others produce short form cinematic style. There is a distinct a market for each although some combine the two.

Over the years that I have been filming weddings, I have rarely produced a trailer version and never had footage on line or on my website, preferring to sell in other ways, however with the popularity of social networking and instant information sharing, I can see the value of highlighting what you do for the client to quickly show friends.

Videographers like Noa have the equipment and experience to work in both styles coupled with a great artistic insight. Many others see some of this footage and aspire to producing the same without necessarily seeing the overall picture or possessing similar skills and experience. As Noa points out, a trailer can be a great self marketing device, but you should also be aware of not falling into the trap of setting up unrealistic expectations in potential clients. If your end product is a short form cinematic video then your clients will see what they will get, but if your end product is a full length documentary, make sure that your clients aren't expecting a 100 minute long, time shifted, 4 camera, cinematic masterpiece with every shot being glider, steadycam and crane filmed, from a dozen angles.

Certainly produce a trailer if you feel the need, but make sure that new clients know what they are getting.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
If you don't post it online and if you don't charge accordingly for the extra time then I would agree but if you place it online and it gives you extra attention, work and income you can hardly say it's for your own artistic needs.
Yes maybe Noa but I was in a trap getting long teaser trailers out to the bride, watching dozens of trailers with speeches and mixing the whole footage around like a short form it was taking ages and really it was for my own needs, yes of course to show my work but in the end a 1/2 minute version sneak preview are better in the long run. Time energy and price are now my first thoughts. Maybe like Roger says, but my market is the £895 to £1295 and this has made me do short teasers now.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:06 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Steve

I thought I was alone out there! My brides will get an online shortened version of their ceremony in probably far less time than it takes to create a good trailer. I have just actually had a booking for November next year from a bride who asked me "Can you give me a ceremony video that's not cut into little pieces and overlayed with music ...I want to hear my vows and what went on during my special time, not a music video" (her words not mine BTW) I don't think that brides looking for a doc style wedding want a trailer to watch and by making trailers, for me, it doesn't reflect what the bride is getting as an end result at all. I have clips taken from multiple weddings online for brides to watch so they can simply see what their video will look like on the DVD.

Sure if your end result will look pretty close to what the trailer footage portrays then by all means go for it and that's probably how a "wedding film" will look on DVD or BD. In fact the only overlayed music on my entire end product is some background music during prep and then a romantic song over my stedicam shoot prior to the photog taking over ... which really is my only cinematic portion of her entire DVD.

Chris
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #13
Major Player

Seriously, not this again.

The OP has asked for advice on short trailers.

I'm sure he still wants advice.

I'm sure he doesnt want people either encouraging or persuading him against it.

If you don't do short trailers, you cannot help the OP with his query, so don't post here.

Or go and start another thread on the merits of short trailers and keep your opinions on the matter in that thread. Not this one.

11 replies and only the top two are relevant.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Clive

It's perfectly relevant ..he is talking about trailers (as you notice) from long form footage NOT purpose shot so he might indeed figure why am I doing a trailer or should I produce something different as a teaser as also suggested. The OP has provided no sample as also requested by Adrian so it's hard to give advice on something you can't see.

All posts should be taken as advice as although they might not appeal to you, they might very well appeal to the OP and even assist him, but until he responds with some more detail it's not easy to tell him where he is going wrong

Chris
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Terry
I agree with Chris that a little more detail will help us answer your question. One big difference is if you are a solo shooter or not. By yourself, it will take more effort and planning before the wedding to get the look you want. To start, watch a lot of trailers. They vary greatly. If you find some that fit your taste. Watch them closer to see what exactly makes you like them. Notice the framing, depth of field, camera movement (or lack thereof), sequence and length of clips, transitions, background music, ambient sounds, etc. Start making a list of the type of shots you feel you need to produce the style you want. Then actually plan times to get them. As you go through the day, keep these things in your head. Many of the shots you might need, you are already getting. They just might need to be edited differently. However, if you are currently unhappy with your recent product, you might need to find time during the day to catch what you are missing, or at least change the way you are capturing it. This advice works for having multiple shooters as well, but it just gets a little easier. You can have one capturing the long form continuous shots for the DVD and another focus more on the specific stylized shots you desire.

In addition, the equipment matters. For instance, it is very difficult to get a rock solid shot without a tripod and certain types of movement are much easier to produce with the corisponding gear like a slider, steadicam, or jib. Depth of field is controlled by aperature, focal length, and senor size. You migh need gear to get the audio you want as well.

I realize you might know a lot of this, I'm just trying to cover all the bases. Feel free to give more details or samples.
Byron Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques