Live Weddings and audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 24th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Live Weddings and audio

I am going to start experimenting with doing live weddings online. One of the biggest challenges with streaming is audio. I know there are a lot of people on here that put a recorder here and there and that works great for post. What are your recommendations if you are going to stream it live. What type of wireless mics do you trust and who do you put them on?
Old August 24th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Live Weddings and audio

There are many different ways to do this depending on what level you are intending to take it to. If you are looking at a full OB type event with multi cameras and live mixing, then you will need multi wireless mics and an audio/video mixing facility. Almost certainly with an audio/visual director controlling it.

If on the other hand it is a fairly basic output with a couple or even one camera for family online viewing, then an omni directional mic close to the B&G, possibly wired, will pick up the same sort of sound that the people' at the ceremony will hear.

It would be useful to know more about what your expectations are.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Right now just one camera streamed. I have a G2 right now but it always breaks up so i just need to know what to upgrade too. I don't know if many B&G would have a budget for a multi camera live streamed weddings but that would be my ultimate goal.
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

A you are keeping it simple to start with, then I would seriously suggest keeping it to a single wired fairly close mic, to get the sound that the congregation will hear, but close enough to the B&G to pick up the vows. You could place it 2-3 metres from the couple to get a good overall sound. As soon as you venture into close micing for live work, you really need to add in ambient, readers, and officiant mics, then they need balancing as you go. So keep it wired and simple for peace of mind rather than trying to be too sophisticated. Radio kit can be great, but the simplest and most reliable is wired unless you really want to go down the individual personal mic route. I do think though that people viewing online will be happy to hear what everyone else at the venue hears.

As to the type of mic, I have filmed many weddings in the past with a single 'Boundary Layer' mic, or 'Pressure Zone' (PZM) as they are sometimes known. They work on a reflected wave principle which reduces the room or hall reverb effect to some extent and are popular conference mics. There are a number of different makes and suppliers, so just google for them.You could use a pair of them in different positions wih a splitter cable to pick up a wider spread of sound without needing to mix them separately.

I also always keep a Sure SM58 in my bag as a general backup mic incase all else fails, as you can use them for just about anything.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques