How long does it take... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 16th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: How long does it take...

In my opinion, this is coming from a video guy, i think that the song doesnt fit the mood. Its an up to beat song and the video is more slow, less energetic. What cameras were you using and was it shot in 60p? It kind of had that early 90's wedding video style. The pictures were pretty good though.
Kelly Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kren Barnes View Post
Wow ....$575? really? licensing that song probably cost you more than that...
I doubt it. Neither Soundhound nor Shazam recognised it so I am pretty sure that it's something licensed at modest price from www.songfreedom.com or Music Licensing for Video, Photography, Film - The Music Bed
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
I doubt it. Neither Soundhound nor Shazam recognised it so I am pretty sure that it's something licensed at modest price from www.songfreedom.com or Music Licensing for Video, Photography, Film - The Music Bed

Really?

The first one:
Chris Brown - Forever

The second one:
Carrie Underwood - Mama's Song

Last edited by Dave Partington; September 16th, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Dave Partington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Really? Ah... what do I know?:-) They seemed pretty insipid & I wouldn't have chosen them.
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #20
Regular Crew

The bride chose the music, that's why I used it. Camera's used were G30 Canon and Hero 3 gopro, both in 30 frame per second. Editing time is much faster with 30 frame video. 60 frame video slows the edit way down, even though the video is coming in from a 1TB SSD that is super fast.
Chris Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #21
Major Player

Chris, you really ought to pay attention to what Kren said about only using licensed music, no matter what the bride wants. Have you read this article:

The Music Licensing Chickens Have Come Home to Roost in Wedding and Event Videography | Dare Dreamer Magazine

That old cliche about an ounce of prevention still applies in business.
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #22
Trustee

Roger, as I understand it, unlike North America, the folks in the UK have an option to pay a license that let's them use any music.

It takes a week to finished a wedding film, though sometimes longer if I'm feeling stuck on the story. The 'all day edit' done in documentary style is easy... it's the first thing I do. After that, I go to make the 20 minute film, which may time shift a bit. The goal there is to make something more interesting and heaven help me if there isn't much to work with - like bad speeches, uninspired first dance, and frowny faces during the ceremony.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #23
Major Player

Yes, but Chris is in California!
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Van Duyn View Post
Yes, but Chris is in California!
Whoops. I guess I say Nigel identifying the songs and just assumed.

Chris, do yourself a favor and read this: The Music Licensing Chickens Have Come Home to Roost in Wedding and Event Videography | Dare Dreamer Magazine

The video Joe Simon did was Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo's wedding. I remember seeing it when it went viral but before the RIAA found it.

If you don't bother, he didn't get a take down notice, he got a bill for $150,000. He eventually settled for five figures.
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
Roger, as I understand it, unlike North America, the folks in the UK have an option to pay a license that let's them use any music.
The LM Licence that we can purchase only covers physical media e.g. DVD, Blu-ray, USB etc It does not cover online use.
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #26
Regular Crew

My position is I record what is going on at the wedding, this song was played by the DJ on the day of their wedding and thus is apart of the content. If the recording industry would like to work out a reasonable cost for this usage I would be happy to pay them, but it should be something similar the cost that a radio station pays to play a song. I have always wondered if the DJs need a license to play their music in a commercial manner like they do.
Chris Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Well, we all would like the music industry to come to their senses but unfortunately that's not the case and I don't see that ever happening with all those money sharks, beware of placing your videos with this kind of music out in the open, worst case scenario is that you can loose your business unless, like Joe Simon, you have the cash to spare to pay for any lawsuit that might hit you in the face. Personally I feel if you use anyone’s music as a promotion tool, like in your demo's on your website, which mean you use the music to attract new clients, you should pay for the music you use, unless you wouldn't mind either if someone ripped your footage without approval and used it to make extra money.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Geiger View Post
My position is I record what is going on at the wedding, this song was played by the DJ on the day of their wedding and thus is apart of the content. If the recording industry would like to work out a reasonable cost for this usage I would be happy to pay them, but it should be something similar the cost that a radio station pays to play a song. I have always wondered if the DJs need a license to play their music in a commercial manner like they do.
For the DJ, it depends. At a private event like a wedding, no, no license is required. For a public event, like at the bar, yes, but it's taken care of by the venue paying ASCAP.
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Hi Robert

Still worth checking carefully as this sort of thing varies from state to state and country to country too!!

There was a case on your West Coast years ago where a guy was filming in the street and was sued by Fox cos a TV on display in a store was displaying an episode of the Simpsons and it happened to be in the camera view.

I don't think anybody really knows for sure what the situation is if you are filming the bride and groom dancing to music played by the DJ ... it has always been a messy situation with no-one really knowing if the venue needs to pay a licence fee, and/or the DJ and/or the videographer !!! It really becomes a ridiculous situation at the best of times with many people involved in the process who should/could be viable for playing commercial music.

Over here we can get a blanket licence to use commercial music on the DVD only BUT I have no idea if it includes music captured as ambient like background venue music, DJ music and such.

Chris

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Geiger View Post
It doesn't sound to me like ambient from the dj, but music mixed in to your video in post. Not sure if even having an errors and omissions policy would help you in this case. You'd have to read the exclusions in your policy to see if you'd be covered.

And this is the OPEN part of the forum. I'm sure that we'd all be glad to pay reasonable costs for usage of popular songs, but that's not how the system currently works ( or doesn't work ). It's a messy reality we must deal with in this business. Once we've been told of others who've been penalized, we can't say it's inadvertent anymore. I had to take down some videos I thought were okay back when I started up my business when I learned they really weren't okay. Though it was inadvertent when I posted them, it would NOT have been inadvertent for me to have left them online once I knew. Not everyone agrees with the posted speed limit. Try telling you don't agree with the speed limit to the police officer if they pull you over.

Last edited by Roger Van Duyn; September 18th, 2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added comment
Roger Van Duyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques