Just how ill how ill have you been...... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 26th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Just how ill how ill have you been......

Most ill...Been sick several times but I can't imagine ever missing a Wedding. The worst is when you have a cough and it's a quiet Ceremony and you feel that little tingle and need to cough. Last time that happened, during the Ceremony I just held it in and tears just flowed down my cheeks. I was a wreck. I figured if anyone saw me they would just think, "man that guy is really into this Ceremony!"

Worst pain...A while back out of nowhere I somehow got Shingles for a couple weeks and was in pretty bad pain intermittently. I wore long black sleeves that day to not show my arm that was affected and of course it was about 105 degrees out. I also noticed the Photographer was in pain too. We both stopped at one point to take pills. Pretty funny. The couple had no idea but that's the way it should be. His pain was chronic and it totally threw me and everyone for a loop when he suddenly died a few weeks later. He was fairly young too. That couple's Wedding was his last blog entry on his site. Really sad. RIP.

Last edited by James Hobert; September 27th, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
James Hobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #17
Inner Circle

After reading all these posts the next time I feel a little off-colour I think I will have to just suck it up as there are plenty of videographers who still get to the wedding, don't complain and they are in much worse shape than I have ever been.

Gosh, the next time I'm feeling not quite 100% before a wedding I should come back to this topic before complaining!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #18
Trustee

I suffer from really bad eczema, but usually have it under control. I actually have 2 weddings this week but my eczema is quite bad at the moment (it's a seasonal thing I believe as Autumns kicking in) and the regions affected are the back of my legs.

It's going to be painful getting down on my knees to get those cinematic slider shots!! not looking forward to it.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #19
Trustee

I reached the bail out point. Ten years ago I was in a town of 600 people at 7000 feet in the Rocky Mountains. I was there to shoot an Executive Adventure Learning Experience. I woke up the morning of the shoot feeling really weird and had a strong pain inside my guts. I had no idea what was going on. I sucked it up and went to the meeting spot. The pain got worse and worse quickly but I tried to hang in there. We were about to all get on snow mobiles and head into the back country.

I had hired an assistant for the gig but not for video, she was there to get stills. She was freaking out because I did not look good, she knew something was wrong, but I wouldn't even tell her what was going on. At the last minute a spam of pain hit me that was so bad the voice in my head said "you are going DOWN, you can't do this!"

I went to the client and asked him if there was a doctor in this little town and told him I was very sick. He got someone to give me a ride to a clinic. Before leaving I gave my backpack full of video gear to the still photographer and said good luck?

Thirty minutes later I was on the floor of a bathroom at the clinic puking my guts out the pain was so bad. I could not stand up, I thought I was going to die. The doctor finally came into the bathroom and got me up. Frigging KIDNEY STONES! Never had them before and never want them again. The pain was incredible. Thank God I did not go into the back country. I would have become an emergency med evac.

Ten hours later I felt like a new man. It was over as fast as it came on.

Almost every inch of the video from the still photog was useless. It was a four day shoot so I had three good days out of four to make up for it. Lesson learned, I am not superman even though I thought I was. There is a time to pull the rip cord and walk away!

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques